Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Holiday  (Read 4516 times)

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
Holiday
« on: February 18, 2016, 06:33:32 PM »

Hi guys!

I'm off to South Devon tomorrow and me being nosey popped the phone number of the holiday business in the Mouselike IP Profile checker: https://windows.mouselike.org/be/index.asp?DoAction=BrasChecker and the result tells me that the Downstream BRAS Rate is 2.5 Mbps. Oh dear. Wish me luck! 3 days of very slow internet! LOL. :lol:

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Holiday
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 06:52:41 PM »

Three days of slow internet William, won't matter if you find a nice big rock on Dartmoor to climb.
Think about my 2.5 Mbps lines every day of my life. Well at least I now have three of them.

Have a good time

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 06:58:37 PM »

Three days of slow internet William, won't matter if you find a nice big rock on Dartmoor to climb.
Think about my 2.5 Mbps lines every day of my life. Well at least I now have three of them.

Have a good time

True, but it will be interesting going back to the good old ADSL Max that the business runs on (the exchange is East Allington which is only ADSL Max enabled) and remembering those days when I was on ADSL. LOL. :lol:

Do you have the option to upgrade to FTTC/FTTP/Cable? Why do you have 3 lines?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 07:13:20 PM »

No chance of upgrading to FTTx, I'm told, too remote at 4.55 mi. And I decided I preferred ~7.7 Mbps rather than G.Dmt at 2.x Mbs so I ordered two more lines and my ISP has IP-bonded all three.

FTTP will be the first stop if I win the lottery

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 09:00:00 PM »

No chance of upgrading to FTTx, I'm told, too remote at 4.55 mi. And I decided I preferred ~7.7 Mbps rather than G.Dmt at 2.x Mbs so I ordered two more lines and my ISP has IP-bonded all three.

FTTP will be the first stop if I win the lottery

That's interesting, so you can order more the one line to increase the speed? :O

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 09:09:49 PM »

William ........... go on holiday and enjoy yourself. All this is just white noise that gets in the way of life. Chill yer beans, dude.  :) :)

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 09:11:50 PM »

William ........... go on holiday and enjoy yourself. All this is just white noise that gets in the way of life. Chill yer beans, dude.  :) :)

Sorry? Chill my beans? I'm perfectly chilled. It's nothing to get in the way of a holiday. I don't like being on holiday due to personal issues so having the internet really helps! Obviously, I'm not going to be using it all the time.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 09:13:50 PM »

OK then ................... as you were.  :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 09:26:11 PM »

> That's interesting, so you can order more the one line to increase the speed?

I wanted to order another two lines, to make a total of five lines, but BT suddenly decided it was going to try to charge me a couple of grand for running an extra hundred metres of copper or so (I completely forget, it's so long ago) so it was thanks but no thanks, you just priced yourself out of a deal. So I've stayed with three lines, which work well.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 09:35:50 PM »

> That's interesting, so you can order more the one line to increase the speed?

I wanted to order another two lines, to make a total of five lines, but BT suddenly decided it was going to try to charge me a couple of grand for running an extra hundred metres of copper or so (I completely forget, it's so long ago) so it was thanks but no thanks, you just priced yourself out of a deal. So I've stayed with three lines, which work well.

No, I understand that. But, how does ordering two more lines increase the speed?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 10:07:12 PM »

The ISP's router intelligently splits downstream traffic so that IP packets alternately go to the various lines in weighted round-robin fashion. When the three modems pick up the inbound packets there's nothing to be done, they're just put into the firewall in the normal way, and they may end up in TCP inbound queues because of slight out-of-order delivery. When I say 'intelligently' the ISP's router gets line speed change notification messages from BTW so the router knows what the speeds of the lines are as they are rate-limited by the BRAS. The router can therefore deliver more bytes to the faster line, correctly loading each one according to its speed capabilities, the lines don't have to run at the same speed. If a line goes down, then it is taken out of the round-robin, which gives high reliability. The lines are tested every few seconds to make sure traffic is getting delivered, by using PPP LCP pings (not ICMP pings).

A similar arrangement applies to upstream, my Firebrick 2500 router splits outgoing packets and places them in outbound queues going to the three modems again in weighted round-robin fashion. Unfortunately, I have to tell the FB 2500 what the capacities of the various upstream pipes are. This is obtained by querying upstream sync rate of individual modems, and the values obtained are multiplied by a kludge factor to allow for overheads and manually entered into an XML database which holds the FB config. Again, the different lines do not have to have the same upstream speed capabilities, the upstream traffic is split so that the right fractions go to the different lines.

In case you were wondering, the modems don't have IP addresses, but the FB2500 router does (it is seen by the Internet after having merged the inbound packet streams) have one (only) for its WAN side. (And a LAN-facing IP address too.)

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 10:19:26 PM »

The ISP's router intelligently splits downstream traffic so that IP packets alternately go to the various lines in weighted round-robin fashion. When the three modems pick up the inbound packets there's nothing to be done, they're just put into the firewall in the normal way, and they may end up in TCP inbound queues because of slight out-of-order delivery. When I say 'intelligently' the ISP's router gets line speed change notification messages from BTW so the router knows what the speeds of the lines are as they are rate-limited by the BRAS. The router can therefore deliver more bytes to the faster line, correctly loading each one according to its speed capabilities, the lines don't have to run at the same speed. If a line goes down, then it is taken out of the round-robin, which gives high reliability. The lines are tested every few seconds to make sure traffic is getting delivered, by using PPP LCP pings (not ICMP pings).

A similar arrangement applies to upstream, my Firebrick 2500 router splits outgoing packets and places them in outbound queues going to the three modems again in weighted round-robin fashion. Unfortunately, I have to tell the FB 2500 what the capacities of the various upstream pipes are. This is obtained by querying upstream sync rate of individual modems, and the values obtained are multiplied by a kludge factor to allow for overheads and manually entered into an XML database which holds the FB config. Again, the different lines do not have to have the same upstream speed capabilities, the upstream traffic is split so that the right fractions go to the different lines.

In case you were wondering, the modems don't have IP addresses, but the FB2500 router does (it is seen by the Internet after having merged the inbound packet streams) have one (only) for its WAN side. (And a LAN-facing IP address too.)

That's really interesting. Most of it I didn't understand but thanks for your very detailed explanation.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 10:36:10 PM »

Any questions or clarifications please feel free to fire away.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 10:39:32 PM »

True, but it will be interesting going back to the good old ADSL Max that the business runs on (the exchange is East Allington which is only ADSL Max enabled) and remembering those days when I was on ADSL. LOL. :lol:

FWIW East Allington currently only has two PCP Cabinets - one got FTTC last year and one is due to get it in H1 2016.

The rest of the lines looks like they are exchange-only atm.

It will be another of those exchanges where Openreach find it easier to offer fibre via a different exchange rather than upgrade East Allington to their 21CN network.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 11:52:45 PM »

That's really interesting. Most of it I didn't understand but thanks for your very detailed explanation.

The phrase for your post-holiday research is "line bonding". Once you have an understanding of that process, your next research should be on the topic of "load balancing".

Line bonding requires the cooperation of the CP/ISP, as equipment has to be configured at both ends of the multiple xDSL circuits, whereas load balancing just requires the end user to appropriately configure the equipment at the local end. The multiple xDSL circuits can even be from different CPs/ISPs. (The former, line bonding, is more expensive than the latter, load balancing.)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: [1] 2

anything