Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: TP-Link VR900  (Read 3452 times)

Silverfox0501

• Just arrived
TP-Link VR900
« on: February 17, 2016, 11:15:04 AM »

Hi, I have just purchased a TP-Link VR900 , with the intention of running it side by side with my SKY Hub, as I needed a better Wifi download speed . However I connected it up to my Hub last night via an Ethernet cable and although I found the Wifi signal , when I did a speed check it was very slow (8MBPS) Do I need to set up the Vr900 ? in some way ? Any help at all would be appreciated.

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
Re: TP-Link VR900
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 05:32:07 PM »

have you set the router to wireless operation mode?

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 05:27:13 AM »

Hi, I have just purchased a TP-Link VR900 , with the intention of running it side by side with my SKY Hub, as I needed a better Wifi download speed . However I connected it up to my Hub last night via an Ethernet cable and although I found the Wifi signal , when I did a speed check it was very slow (8MBPS) Do I need to set up the Vr900 ? in some way ? Any help at all would be appreciated.

If it was working but slowly and you are in close proximity this is strange. I would agree with the above, check the router is in WAP mode as I imagine it comes pre-configured as a modem-router :

Log in Archer VR900’s web interface by 192.168.1.1 or tplinkmodem.net (username and password are admin by default)

Check the unit is in WAP mode, you can play around with the WebUI on TO-Links website, they have a good emulator there :

Apologies if you know all this but your post was a bit short on detail, what device are you testing with?

Regards

Chunks

Silverfox0501

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 12:00:51 PM »

Hi Chunks,

Thanks for the help. No I didn't check to see if the router was in wireless mode , I just simply plugged it into my sky hub and hoped it would work. I will check it tonight ! It most probably isn't set up correctly by the sound of it . I checked the Wifi speed on my laptop. And please don't apologise , I am not familiar with this sort of thing so I greatly appreciate your help . So if I set to wap mode , should that sort it ? Or do I have to do anything else ? Not sure what you mean about the WebUi thingy.   

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 01:01:02 PM »

Hi Chunks,

Thanks for the help. No I didn't check to see if the router was in wireless mode , I just simply plugged it into my sky hub and hoped it would work. I will check it tonight ! It most probably isn't set up correctly by the sound of it . I checked the Wifi speed on my laptop. And please don't apologise , I am not familiar with this sort of thing so I greatly appreciate your help . So if I set to wap mode , should that sort it ? Or do I have to do anything else ? Not sure what you mean about the WebUi thingy.

The VR900 is a combined modem router so to use it as a wireless router i.e. to add wireless to an existing network and not use the built in modem you will need to log in into the WebUI (shorthand for Web User Interface) and reconfigure it by telling it to be a "wireless router" - at the same time you will also be able to check your wireless settings.
The WebUI is accessed through a web browser e.g. Chrome and looks pretty much exactly like it does in the emulator I linked above.

To access the WebUI you need to :

1. Unplug your VR900 from your sky hub
2. connect your laptop to the VR900 (cable is easiest)
3. Browse to n http://tplinkmodem.net or http://192.168.1.1 on your laptop
4. Log in with the default username and password
5. configure according to "How to use the modem router as a regular wireless router to share my Internet ?" page 104 of the manual linked here
6. Once configuration is complete save the settings and then plug into your sky hub using an ethernet cable after a reboot

I believe you can also use your VR900 to replace your hub

Good luck

Chunks

Silverfox0501

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 08:45:58 AM »

Morning Chunks,

I just wanted to say thanks for all your efforts , I don't think I would have done it without your help. The VR900 is now up and running on Wifi  and I am getting more speed than from the Sky Hub, but I would have expected it to be a bit better than it is !  But maybe that's down to my Internet speed from Sky , which has never been very good. Thanks again.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 01:43:29 PM »

Good stuff, anytime!

If you are getting "slow" download speeds it is highly probable that your internet connection is the culprit as generally most peoples broadband speed is much slower than their wifi / network.

Your next challenge is to log into your sky hub and
find your line stats, there are people on these forums who can help you optimise your line (not necessarily me!) and potentially get more speed from your connection.  I would suggest you post your stats in another post on these forums.

Cheers big ears!

C