Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: PPPoE Process Details.  (Read 3011 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
PPPoE Process Details.
« on: February 16, 2016, 11:24:13 AM »

My hardware firewall (Smoothwall) generates the PPPoE details (my login un and pw ) and sends them out to the HG612 modem and then to the DSLAM ... :hmm:  is that correct ?.

Smoothwall will re-dial if the connection is lost, it sends a regular 'ping' out to the DSLAM or ? and if it gets no reply it re-dials. I can set it to re-dial 9999 times then it will give up until I re-set it.

Does anyone know or point me in the right direction about the actual PPPoE process details, eg IP based or ?.

Can I look at the process with wireshark or similar ?.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
Re: PPPoE Process Details.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 11:37:22 AM »

Hi

I assume your using SM free version, so I believe there should be an always on setting and you would be better pinging a website rather then the gateway, which can cause false positives or undesired results.

Lastly, I have seen some SM free versions block so make sure your hg612 is not been blocked or dropped if limits reached.

I think your issue will be 1 or more of the above, causing SM to believe it has lost connection

I hope that helps and sorry if I'm wrong, but SM free does have a good forum I believe

Many thanks

John

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 12:42:48 PM »

Hi.
Yes it's the free one  :).

re.. 'you would be better pinging a website rather then the gateway'  No I'm not pinging ! it's the PPPoE process that's pinging to see if there is still a connection, there is no access to that.

I have a post on the good SW forum  :).
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 12:54:26 PM »

TickMike wrote :
> My hardware firewall (Smoothwall) generates the PPPoE details (my login un and pw ) and sends them out to the HG612 modem and then to the DSLAM ... :hmm:  is that correct ?.

Sounds about right. ;D

> Smoothwall will re-dial if the connection is lost, it sends a regular 'ping' out to the DSLAM or ? and if it gets no reply it re-dials. I can set it to re-dial 9999 times then it will give up until I re-set it.

No. Doesn't sound right. The PPPoE connection will presumably signal Smoothwall when the connection is lost. DSLAMs aren't IP devices, they aren't ICMP-PINGable.

> Does anyone know or point me in the right direction about the actual PPPoE process details, eg IP based or ?.

A complete description of how PPPoE works is here
    https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2516

No, it is not IP-based, PPPoE works with Ethernet frames and MAC addresses.

> Can I look at the process with wire-shark or similar ?.

You can.  ;D

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 01:22:16 PM »

The "ping" referred to might be LCP.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 02:14:00 PM »

The ping might indeed be PPP LCP, that's what my router does and that's what Andrews and Arnold's ping box does which implements CQM on all their lines.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 02:15:06 PM »

Tony, did I get those PPPoE details right? It's a long time since I looked at this stuff?

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 02:20:06 PM »

Thanks.
Good link will read tonight. :) just doing some work on putting a oak stairs in my self built house.  ;D

One part it said.

'the Host sending a unicast
   Session Request packet and the selected Access Concentrator sending a
   Confirmation packet.  When the Host receives the Confirmation packet,
   it may proceed to the PPP Session Stage.  When the Access
   Concentrator sends the Confirmation packet, it may proceed to the PPP
   Session Stage.'

Michael.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 02:30:08 PM »

One final point, remember this is not itself an IP protocol. I can carry anything over PPPoE, such as IPv6, for example. (Which I do, all the time.)

anything