Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Lowering sync to improve quality of connection?  (Read 2344 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Lowering sync to improve quality of connection?
« on: February 12, 2016, 04:19:08 PM »

I was reading a thread in another place and the poster said something interesting that got me thinking.

The guy was wondering about G.INP and said that he'd rather have 10Mb less and have no interleaving on his connection than have a higher sync connection and have interleaving on. This is so he'd have a less latency on his connection.

I wonder if OR or whoever controls the profiles of connections will ever introduce similar controls they have on ADSL lines. The ability to implement limits, I guess similar to the 40Mb limit with Infinity 1.

What are your opinions on this?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
Re: Lowering sync to improve quality of connection?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 04:23:54 PM »

The only way to do this would be what I've done and that is repeatedly disconnect and reconnect the DSL cable at least 20 times the first day then at least 10 times and then at least 5 times the day after that.

Admin note:-
It is not recommended that you do this as it would only serve to increase latency.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 10:30:42 PM by kitz »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 04:36:06 PM »

With some Broadcom based modems you can limit the connection speeds with a CLI command via telnet. I don't recall what the command is, but it's been discussed a few times here.

[Later] See (for example) http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14810.msg277010.html#msg277010 and subsequent discussion
  Eric

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 04:39:28 PM »

Hi

I don't think repeating your actions for dlam would give good result, as it induces interleave and the latency increase from interleave is marginal.

You may be better gateway hopping for latency, but you have no control over your route, so it's not ideal but sometimes works

Our latency is around 20ms, but dray I think posted how to reduce down to around 10ms, on BT by changing login name, but again is not ideal if you have multiple IP addresses

Many thanks

John

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 09:40:08 PM »

An example of the impact of speed capping on error rates.  These days it is only really of potential value if your on an ECI DSLAM with no G.INP and quite a few errors when on fast path.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,16427.msg304299.html#msg304299

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 10:05:14 PM »

An example of the impact of speed capping on error rates.  These days it is only really of potential value if your on an ECI DSLAM with no G.INP and quite a few errors when on fast path.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,16427.msg304299.html#msg304299

Good post!
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 10:28:53 PM »

The only way to do this would be what I've done and that is repeatedly disconnect and reconnect the DSL cable at least 20 times the first day then at least 10 times and then at least 5 times the day after that.

I'm afraid that statement is so wrong that it had to be corrected.  I would hate anyone to do that thinking it was a solution. 

That would increase interleaving and only serve to achieve the reverse of what the EU wanted.
Using a modem which has the ability to speed cap the line rate is currently the only way to do it.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 10:50:20 PM »

I'm afraid that statement is so wrong that it had to be corrected.  I would hate anyone to do that thinking it was a solution. 

That would increase interleaving and only serve to achieve the reverse of what the EU wanted.
Using a modem which has the ability to speed cap the line rate is currently the only way to do it.

Sorry. :-[

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 11:04:48 PM »

no worries.  We all make mistakes.  :)
My concern with this one is that someone would read it and actually do it, without reading further down the thread.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 11:08:12 PM »

no worries.  We all make mistakes.  :)
My concern with this one is that someone would read it and actually do it, without reading further down the thread.

No, I understand.

anything