Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Analog filter for ultra-long ADSL lines  (Read 4643 times)

Re: Analog filter for ultra-long ADSL lines
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2016, 03:26:35 PM »

Given your location I'd guess your prime source of problems would be :

1) Freezer compressors (especially those in the shed);
2) Central Heating/Boiler pumps;
3) Generators;

You also have Fir Chlis* to contend with, which in winter probably results in some interesting noise margin swings even though its not that visible in the sky where you are.

FTTP in NW Scotland is going to be the only way to do decent BB as the trenching costs are a lot cheaper and the maintenance costs are a hell of a lot cheaper because it isn't getting blown down/flooded all the time :)

*Northern Lights/aurora borealis in Gaelic

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2016, 03:43:14 PM »

Given your location I'd guess your prime source of problems would be :

1) Freezer compressors (especially those in the shed);
2) Central Heating/Boiler pumps;
3) Generators;

Noted. Having all known freezers and CH + pumps on a different ring was intended to help reduce this. Think it will help?

> You also have Fir Chlis* to contend with, which in winter probably results in some interesting noise margin swings even though its not that visible in the sky where you are.

Na Fir Chlis, only seen them properly full-on as we have hills and mountains to the north of us which doesn't help. Janet has been much more successful in seeing them.

> FTTP in NW Scotland is going to be the only way to do decent BB as the trenching costs are a lot cheaper and the maintenance costs are a hell of a lot cheaper because it isn't getting blown down/flooded all the time :)

I just wish I could get some help to make it happen, with BTW or TT or anything wholesaled, so I could stick with the quality ISP of my choice and have a fast and truly reliable service without it costing me a couple of hundred grand. HIE told me to crawl away and die, I wasn't going to get served by a cab this year or next, so who knows. USO? Well we were only joking. What will you do when you want to retire ADSL altogether and have FTTC (capped) as the minimum baseline service?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 03:47:16 PM by Weaver »

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2016, 03:46:18 PM »

Noted. Having all known freezers and CH + pumps on a different ring was intended to help reduce this. Think it will help?
Probably not if they're on the same phase, as all circuits will ultimately connect together at the consumer unit or meter tails.

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2016, 04:07:54 PM »

I just wish I could get some help to make it happen, with BTW or TT or anything wholesaled, so I could stick with the quality ISP of my choice and have a fast and truly reliable service without it costing me a couple of hundred grand. HIE told me to crawl away and die, I wasn't going to get served by a cab this year or next, so who knows. USO? Well we were only joking. What will you do when you want to retire ADSL altogether and have FTTC (capped) as the minimum baseline service?

Have you talked to any of the B4RN guys?

Seems to me (been a while since I've been your way right enough) that there's no end of people in your area who have tractors & trenching/ploughing kit? Given you have a "shiny new MSAN" at the exchange that suggests to me that there is BT Wholesale backhaul there to be (initially) rented.

I think you'd have been a lot better off if the last Ofcom review in 2006 had split what was (IIRC) BT Ignite (BT Wholesale + Openreach in today's terms) into a national infrastructure company (Openreach) and a network supplier (BT Wholesale).

That way national governments of the UK would have been able to fund places like Skye where the initial cost of install may be marginally higher (but much quicker) than suburban areas, however the ongoing maintenance costs are a fraction of the cost of the copper "assets". That recovers capex faster - well in a sane tax system it does, & the UK doesn't have that.

Sorry we have diverged from topic - again :)
Pages: 1 [2]