Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: ISP Lower limits for SNR Margin.  (Read 16452 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: ISP Lower limits for SNR Margin.
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2016, 06:00:22 PM »

So I am screwed because those damned bean counters can really count those beans. Damn.

I don't know what breed of MSAN I ended up with last November unfortunately. I used to have a TI DSLAM, which I could tell by querying the modem stats. But I haven't been well enough to try and work out how to do the same trick with my current modems.

The new MSAN certainly is very shiny anyway. It gave a good performance boost even while I was still on ADSL G.Dmt and 20CN, before the upgrade to 21CN and ADSL2+.

I'm now either on ADSL2+ or ADSL2. Can't be sure which, because of problems involving weirdness in the modems' UI. I was trying to get the modems set onto ADSL2-only with no auto-mode selection, but none of us can make much sense out of the modems' web UI.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 06:26:13 PM by Weaver »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2016, 06:13:38 PM »

G.Dmt (G.992.1) and ADSL2 (G.992.3) both use the same number of sub-carriers (tones) -- 256
ADSL2+ (G.992.5) uses double the above number of sub-carriers (tones) -- 512

So check the maximum potential tone number that the modem may use and that will allow you to identify the modulation mode.  :graduate:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2016, 06:26:00 PM »

I thought Weaver is on some shiny new Broadcom based MSAN, which is what the most recent WBC upgraded exchanges appear to get. Presumably these few exchanges wouldn't need any further upgrading to support G.INP, but it would probably still require changing the DLM to take account of the different capabilities of different exchange kit.

It wouldn't surprise me if that shiny new MSAN used older firmware - to ensure it was the same as any other similar MSAN on BT's network.

The older ones are IFTN or TSTC, not Broadcom, I thought they (or at least their line cards) are different hardware, there aren't any older similar ones. I think the older TSTC ones are slightly worse than the less old IFTN ones, but the differences are slight.

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2016, 06:27:20 PM »

Can you not ssh into the modems?

On the subject of g.INP/SRA/etc - BT have generally been last in the UK to implement "new stuff" which standards have always allowed*. You can argue this is justified to some extent but I think they still have an institutional view at times which boils down to "we didn't think of this so its rubbish".

I think you're unlikely to see BT having "new thoughts" about ADSL :(

*if the technology is too expensive/power hungry then only top quality kit implements that stuff; times change then its in everything - vectoring is a classic example.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2016, 06:30:19 PM »

So check the maximum potential tone number that the modem may use and that will allow you to identify the modulation mode.  :graduate:

Good simple tip. Thanks for that. I just have not been well enough (too confused) recently to wrestle with hooking up a modem to a suitable machine and trying to telnet into it.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2016, 01:20:58 PM »

One of the great features UKOnline had but Sky didn't (same exchange kit for a while) was Seamless Rate Adaptation.

Did they also have dynamic IP profiles? 

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2016, 05:35:07 PM »

Update ....No my isp Eclipse can not set upper and lower limits . :o
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

anything