Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: ISP Lower limits for SNR Margin.  (Read 16455 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
ISP Lower limits for SNR Margin.
« on: February 13, 2016, 11:31:36 PM »

Can an ISP set the lower (and maybe Higher) SNR Margin on your connection ?.
Say a setting of 4db and 15db .
Edit.
Update ....No my isp Eclipse can not set upper and lower limits . :o
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 05:33:10 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: ISP Lower limits for SNR Margin.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 11:42:01 PM »

As long as they have operational control of the DSLAM (or MSAN), yes.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 12:47:36 AM »

As long as they have operational control of the DSLAM (or MSAN), yes.

I noticed some odd Down-stream events at 1300hrs as I have an active complaint in with my isp I was thinking that they had been changing the settings at there end.
Event at about 1700hrs = street lights coming on or ?
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 06:51:32 AM »

If the ISP changed the target SNR margin, that would normally drop the DSL and have it re-connect at the new setting. It wouldn't make the SNR margin to go up or down while the DSL remains connected.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 06:56:09 AM »

I have set my lines to 3 dB d/s target SNRM. (BTW 21CN, ADSL2+) I can do that myself using my ISP's  control panel, "clueless.aa.net.uk". I am using BTW. It used to be the case, I believe, that you couldn't use 3 dB if you were using TalkTalk Wholesale, but that may now have been remedied.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 10:11:05 PM by Weaver »

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 07:16:29 AM »

The DLM put my line on a 3 dB target DS SNRM, setting it manually isn't the only way it will get there.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 04:14:56 PM »

Attached, below, is an example of a CP making an adjustment to the target SNRM.

At the time, I was using a 2Wire 2700HGV and had requested that my CP (TalkTalk) turn off the DLM for the circuit, configure it to use interleaving and configure the target SNRM to 6 dB.

The statistics were being gathered with a one minute granularity and it can clearly be seen when the synchronised state was lost and then regained at around 1250 hours.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 09:50:48 PM »

requested that my CP (TalkTalk) turn off the DLM for the circuit, configure it to use interleaving and configure the target SNRM to 6 dB.

What advantage would that give and would it be useful to get my isp to try it on my long line.?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 10:26:46 PM »

> What advantage would that give and would it be useful to get my isp to try it on my long line.?

If you can reduce your SNRM then that will give you more speed. This can either be done with the help of your ISP or with tweaks to the modem.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2016, 11:01:14 PM »

> What advantage would that give and would it be useful to get my isp to try it on my long line.?

If you can reduce your SNRM then that will give you more speed. This can either be done with the help of your ISP or with tweaks to the modem.

Reducing the SNRm will increase speed but with a trade off and that is errors even with the DLM turned off the influx of errors could turn your internet experience into a slow crawl so just be wary  ;)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 11:39:48 PM »

Perhaps I should make it clear that my circuit is LLU'd and is connected to TalkTalk's MSAN over a metallic pathway of approximately 1.5 miles (2400 metres). As TalkTalk are perfectly amenable to requests from those "who know what they are doing", it was no problem to have those configuration parameters set (and remain set to this day).

The advantage, to me, is that I can do "real silly things" with whatever modem I decide to use as the end-point of the xDSL circuit . . . without the DLM process interfering, "thinking that it knows best". At the end of the day I can power down and disconnect the modem, knowing full well that when I next connect a device the MSAN will be in a precisely defined state.  :)

I am unaware of any other CP who would allow such parameters to be defined by their end users.  :-\

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 11:49:10 PM »

As TalkTalk are perfectly amenable to requests from those "who know what they are doing",

Having been a TT forum member in the past the number of users that didn't know what they were doing seemed much higher that ones that did  :P 

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 12:00:38 AM »

As my isp said the other day in his email 'I am willing to try anything you can suggest'

I'm expecting some mail from them tomorrow and I may ask him to turn off DLM, if it makes things worse they can put it back on again. ;)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 12:10:12 AM »

If you want my advise do it in small increments don't go full on or you will back on the TT forums after 3 or 4 days saying my SNRM has increased from 3dB to 12dB and lost sync rate the endless loop continues.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 12:11:09 AM »

. . . and I may ask him to turn off DLM, if it makes things worse they can put it back on again. ;)

Do they own the MSAN (or DSLAM)? Or do they resell a BTWholesale product?

If it is the former, then yes, it is worth a try.  :)  If it is the latter, then I fully expect the request to be declined.  :(

Pages: [1] 2 3 4