Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Google grilled by Parliamentary hearing  (Read 1598 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Google grilled by Parliamentary hearing
« on: February 13, 2016, 11:16:51 PM »

I intensely dislike and distrust Google, I have detested them ever since they stopped 'not being evil'.  Nothing is likely to change my opinion anytime soon.   Even so, I think the BBC coverage of their grilling by parliament committee is fair comment, including, in response to the Google guy being coy about his salary...

A better answer might have been that, like any commercial business, Google was not required to disclose the salaries of executives other than those on the main board - which Mr Brittin is not - so the politician should not be so nosy.

Quite so.   It's a good article IMHO...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35559592

But I still detest Google, and wouldn't trust them further than I could spit. :D

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: Google grilled by Parliamentary hearing
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 11:23:39 PM »

Without Google, the web would be mostly inaccessible.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 11:56:07 PM »

Too true. :)

And without Google there would be no street view, nor satellite imagery (even though others have jumped on the bandwagon).  All of which required vast mountains  of cash, that could only have come from selling  their customer's data, customer data being their only asset.    I think it is the fact that they continue to be devious that bothers me, their privacy policies that scan ok until you read it properly, etc.  Then suddenly the shock sets in, you realise what you just agreed to.  :o

They are not alone in dodgy and devious privacy policies, but I think maybe they delude themselves, more than others, that 'we won't notice'.  I find that a little offensive. >:(

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 01:01:28 AM »

I think Britain needs to change some of its tax laws, especially business laws, to be worldwide, instead of only the UK.

In the US if you even move to live in another country you are still liable to pay taxes in the US. If I was to move out of the UK and move to another country my tax debt would be stopped until I came back.

I think we need to update our laws dramatically. It's sad that we're half stuck in the victorian era. I guess it goes back on our history. We haven't had the peasants revolt yet. *throws my hat in revolt*  ;D
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 09:56:47 AM »

If you mean shutting Google down now, maybe.  If you mean without Google going into business I don't agree - there were other search providers and email systems.  In fact Google was quite a late entry to email.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 10:03:12 AM »

Without Google, we would just still be using AltaVista and AskJeeves as we were before Google came along, so Google is hardly essential.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 10:10:07 AM »

It's like chalk and cheese  ;D