Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Isle of Skye Broadband  (Read 2733 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Isle of Skye Broadband
« on: February 13, 2016, 11:07:29 PM »

« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 11:17:25 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Isle of Skye Broadband
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 11:25:08 PM »

Hmm . . . I wonder who?  ::)

As the coverage is being planned for the north of the island, I don't think Heasta will be included.  :(  :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 11:35:27 PM »

As the coverage is being planned for the north of the island, I don't think Heasta will be included.  :(  :-X

:(
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 12:57:46 AM »

This may be closer - http://www.skyenet.co.uk/ - 'Coming soon to Heaste' which wikipedia assures me is another name for Heasta - where he who must not be named lives  ;) :-X :lol:

What's geographically possible give HWMNBN's actual location I can't say..

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 06:30:09 AM »

Some people misspell the name of my village with a silent e on the end under the influence of the English word "haste" as that is indeed how it is pronounced if you drop the schwa after the /t/ (schwa, /ə/, is the vowel in the second syllable of butter, mother in English dialects that drop /r/).

You can also spell it Heast too, which is I think legitimate.

So there are three spellings, Heasta is the one I use and it's thankfully the one on the  green sign below my house. Visible on Google street view in an earlier thread.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 07:49:11 AM by Weaver »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 06:32:46 AM »

I may be named, I give thee permission. ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 06:36:36 AM »

North Skye Broadband says that it is based in Sruthán (Anglicized as Struan, a fair phonetic spelling) on the West Side of the Island, about an hour's drive from me, bit less if you are really pushing it.

The Cuilthionn mountain ranges split the Island into two halves.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 06:50:08 AM »

The ill-named SkyeNet thing is up and running, shared slice of 5 Mbps, long distance wireless. One of my neighbours, Hugh, hosts a node on his patch. A good friend of mine, Rob, is a user, who has said little about is apart from 'doesn't work', when it doesn't work, and complains of slowness 'only 3.5 Mbps now'. But of course as a shared service people ought to have been able to work out the implications of that. For some reason, I think Rob is still using Virgin Media too (over BTW) which is there when the local effort doesn't work. There is a danger that such hardware will be utterly blasted to smithereens by the horrific weather in the (naturally) exposed position where it's parked. I parked my satellite dish (Sky) in a position where it is sheltered by the whole house when the weather is very bad and we're had no problems so far, even though it's the biggest one I could get (easily).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 08:01:49 AM by Weaver »

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 08:33:37 AM »

I wouldn't have thought the weather will prove too much of an issue - there's been wireless kit deployed on the west coast of Lewis for over 10 years as part of the ill-fated "Connecting Communities" broadband scheme and most of that hasn't blown away. Pretty much all of it was intact even after the monster storm of 11/1/05 where winds hit 140+ knots. In fact ISTR a photo of the antenna (dish) still securely attached to the chimney of a house, unlike the roof which was completely gone :D

As an aside if HIE are funding it then IMHO then that's the kiss of death as pretty much everything HIE funds is on a fast track to failure....

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2016, 09:45:43 AM »

Mrs Weaver tells me that the SkyeNet thing was down for weeks, with neighbours complaining, including over new year, because of storm damage. I hear what Rizla is saying. The Western Isles people must have done a very good job.

anything