Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Vodafone broadband  (Read 44917 times)

bisty

Vodafone broadband
« on: February 13, 2016, 10:03:13 PM »

Hi all,

I have just had Vodafone broadband (FTTC) installed (changed from Tesco Broadband who are exiting the market).  So far, so good.  But I have a question I'm sure you clever people will be able to answer.

I would dearly love to re-use my FritzBox 7490 that I bought (for an exorbitant price) just 12 months ago, instead of consigning it to the garage.  However, Vodafone say I can't use my own router, and I must use their Vodafone Connect (Huawei 963168_HUAWEIVOX25). 

Does anyone know how I would obtain the Vodafone broadband username/password?  Is there some way I can "hack" into the Huawei to get this info?  Could it possibly be a default username/password?

Thanks for listening, I look forward to your answers.

Starman

• Reg Member
Re: Vodafone broadband
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 10:28:51 PM »

I would suggest trying to setup the 7490 perhaps using the Kitz ZyXEL guide if required for the actual exact settings and try entering your account username/password details. I'm fairly sure other than Sky most ISP use the same connection settings [vlan tagging etc].

Failing that - Are there any details within the config on their supplied router/modem for username and connection details? The reason they maybe requiring the use of their device is because I believe Vodafone are now offering their own OTT TV service or maybe I read that its coming sometime in the near future.

But word of warning if you're going to swap routers around too often you might invoke the wrath of the god that is DLM.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 10:36:19 PM by Starman »

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 10:36:00 PM »

Sky are the same too, it's just the username and password are presented a little differently.

Starman

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 10:39:10 PM »

Ah Thanks Dray - not had any personal experience with Sky Fibre I just seem to remember an issue with DHCP 61 or some such.

bisty

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 10:44:55 PM »

Thanks for your answer, Starman.  But it's my account username/password I need...Vodafone will NOT give me the details, and the Huawei web-interface that you log into (192.168.1.1) does not have any account details whatsoever.

Is it possible to Telnet into the Huawei, and if so, what is the command to view username/password?

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 10:45:50 PM »

I was only briefly a broadband customer of Vodafone, after Demon broadband evolved into Vodafone.

With that brief encounter I had the impression they had inherited Demon's amazing support staff and Indian call centre, in which case you have my deepest sympathy.   Just assume anything they tell you might be fact or might be fiction, chances are no better than 50/50 either way.    :(

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 10:47:01 PM »

Does the router have a WAN port so that you can plug into a modem?

bisty

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 10:48:50 PM »

Cheers Steven.  I've spoken to Vodafone helpdesk and (thankfully) they're based in the UK.

Starman

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 10:50:48 PM »

Thanks for your answer, Starman.  But it's my account username/password I need...

Is it possible to Telnet into the Huawei, and if so, what is the command to view username/password?

Unfortunately it sounds like the experience people had with Sky Fibre when it first launched may have to wait until someone tries to crack open this nut unless you fancy attempting it yourself :)

bisty

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 10:53:25 PM »

Dray, no WAN port, but there's a bit of plastic on the back with a note saying "This port is not in use".

Could they have stuck this plastic sticker over the WAN port?

Starman

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 10:56:38 PM »

A picture paints a thousand words - couple of shots of the rear would be useful.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 10:57:42 PM »

Well, yes they could. In the case of the Openreach Huawei modem, this was what happened to the LAN2 port which was used to hack the modem ;)

bisty

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 10:58:27 PM »

Unfortunately it sounds like the experience people had with Sky Fibre when it first launched may have to wait until someone tries to crack open this nut unless you fancy attempting it yourself :)

Starman, I wouldn't have a clue where to start!  I'll have to rely on you good people to crack this nut for me.....please!  The Fritzbox is so useful, OpenDNS for starters.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 11:03:43 PM »

Start by posting a picture on here of the ports on the router

bisty

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2016, 11:04:19 PM »

Well, yes they could. In the case of the Openreach Huawei modem, this was what happened to the LAN2 port which was used to hack the modem ;)

If I pulled these stickers off and it does, indeed, reveal a WAN port, is it easy to "hack" this router?  If so, I would really appreciate some guidance on how to do this, many thanks.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything