Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New Broadcom based modem to bridge to my router  (Read 13832 times)

aesmith

• Kitizen
Re: New Broadcom based modem to bridge to my router
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2016, 12:38:54 PM »

There are two different D-Link products called DSL-320B,  I believe the good one is the curvy looking one that looks like it should stand upright. 

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2016, 01:16:07 PM »

I snapped one up as a backup (completely unnecessary) but seemed like a bargain :)

Thanks for the advice!

Chunks

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2016, 01:18:45 PM »

But remember, don't use it until you've configured it into modem-only bridge mode.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2016, 01:31:20 PM »

But remember, don't use it until you've configured it into modem-only bridge mode.

I will, it'll be interesting to see how it copes with my line compared to the Zyxel, I think I have a pretty good spread of modem chipsets now Trend, Infineon, Broadcom, Mediatek (types not models obviously)!

I probably need to put some stuff on ebay ...................... lol

Chunks

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2016, 01:58:56 PM »

Please keep us informed, I'd love to hear how the DLinks stand up in comparison with other modems.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 02:03:22 PM by Weaver »

G.DMT

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2016, 04:42:52 PM »

@weaver

Well done sir!
Thank you for alerting us to this interesting line of investigation.  ;D

I note that the earlier version of the DLink DSL-320B (with the squarer case) sold as 'Revision A1' or 'Revision D' did indeed have the Broadcom chipset.

official spec
http://www.dlink.com/-/media/Consumer_Products/DSL/DSL%20320B/Datasheet/DSL_320B_Datasheet_EN_UK.pdf

D-Link  says it supports telnet,ssh and SNMP !!!

-Telnet/SSH access for configuration
-SNMP v.1 and v.2c w/ MIB-I and MIB-II
- Local access via console (optional)

To me decent monitoring capabilities is almost a 'must have' feature.

That in itself was almost enough to provoke me to order a used one off of ebay, just to try it out.

But then I was completely put off by this post who describes the 'bridge mode' as really being a disastrously unuseable 'half bridge mode' using subnetting, DHCP and arp. <GAK>  :-X

"D-Link DSL-320B: A truly awful modem"
http://phil.lavin.me.uk/2012/01/d-link-dsl-320b-a-truly-awful-modem/

Given the date and the picture of the squarer case I deduce he was using the first A1 model.
I was only considering the later D model because there is a vuln and updated image for it.

https://www.exploit-db.com/exploits/25251/

"Firmware fixes security vulnerabilities." Date: 30.4.2013
http://www.dlink.com/ba/hr/support/product/dsl-321b-adsl-2-ethernet-modem?revision=deu_revd#downloads

Unfortunately I think this is what the spec means by:

- Ethernet to ADSL Self-Learning Transparent Bridging

:(  :(  :(

Can anyone here chime in with any real life usage experience?

@aesmith I was chatting in another thread about SNMP.
Do you have any experience to share using Network Monitoring with DLink ?

« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 06:45:06 PM by G.DMT »

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2016, 04:51:35 PM »

I haven't used SNMP with D-Link for many years, not since the main D-Link product that we used was a 12 port 10BaseT hub.   However when I looked at these modems I concluded that they don't support SNMP.  The data sheet may say so, but there's no reference in the manual.  And the manual screenshots don't show SNMP on the "Advanced" page which is where SNMP settings seem to be configured other D-Link products.

I'm afraid I now think that SNMP support is being dropped or reduced in consumer equipment.  Linksys used to have good support, but the feature's been removed from more recent products.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2016, 05:01:25 PM »

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2016, 05:44:16 PM »

Chunks  :cool:

Literally, like? Hahaha! :P :P :lol: :lol:

It's just a handle but I am fairly chunky  :giggle:

Quote from: G.DMT
Thank you for alerting us to this interesting line of investigation.  ;D
Well, I am happy to do some fiddling and get some relative performance numbers and report back but don't expect a full blown analysis!  I have also taken the precaution of booking a Telecomms Engineer to come and give my house wiring a once over as I have been having some internal wiring issues (currently plumbed into the engineers socket on the main BT inlet).  I have done some testing of my own and the extension wiring is a bit nasty.

I won't start any of this until next week as I am currently abroad on business and my first few days back I mainly drink  :drink:.

Once I sober up I'll do some comparisons.

Cheers big ears!

Chunks

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2016, 08:45:52 PM »

@G.DMT

See earlier thread
    http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,16583.msg306491.html#msg306491

I wasn't aware of a hardware Rev A1. I know of the D1, the square flat one (see pics in thread). It seems that the D1 and A1 are history, can't be sure. I've bought seven Z1 devices in the last year or so, and all the units that have arrived are the sit-up-and-beg h/w rev Z1 devices. How do we know what's what? I am going by the model number and serial no sticker on the underside that has hw rev Z1 on all the latest units.

The D1 was a completely different device according to that earlier thread. Loonylion had a D1 and said it was shite. Andrews and Arnold amongst others have said repeatedly that the devices are garbage if in router mode, although I don't know why.

As modems though, they "just work". You plug them in and they do the right thing. They even support RFC 4638 for full size MTU/MRU 1500+8, if you are not using 20CN and you are using a compatible router, and have a straightforward Ethernet link between modem and router, devoid of weirdness or malice.

G.DMT

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2016, 01:36:10 PM »

@weaver   Thanks for posting that link. I had somehow missed that thread.
 sorry - am obviously turning up late to the discussion!

I did see this thread http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,15504.msg293294.html#msg293294

Where you tried out the vigor 130 (lantiq) and commented that it wasn't nearly as good as your
'venerable Netgear DG834 v3'

I had the similar experience testing 2 other modems (not vigor) with the lantiq chipset and similar results- the were not as good as my venerable Netgear DG834 v3.

Whilst I don't have anything like the line length (and thus attenuation) to deal with that you do  at > 4.3 km 
this line has suffered a great deal of fluctuation/instability.

Hence my interest in your posts.

The Billion 7800 was the best modem I found  so far for my line.
Noticeably better than 3 other equivalent chipset Broadcom based competitors.

One the one hand I might _hope_ that buying the Billions replacement might live up to the standards set by its exceptional  predecessor, I do have my doubts about that.

The B7800N was renowned for the exceptional quality of its analogue circuitry.
As you will probably know, that is the bit that differentiated it from its competitors (which employ the same chipsets (and the same Broadcam supplied binary chipset drivers).

It originally cost £120 new  :'(  (with delivery) ... the replacement costs only about half that so I won't hold out unrealistic expectations.

On the other hand the I see that the ZyXEL has been  specifically mentioned as having extra care lavished on the implementation of the analogue circuitry - hence my interest.

Yes - I could buy them both, and the possibility of a third contender is intriguing, but that would be a substantial outlay!  :(

So better to ask here.  ;) ... and besides that also means that others can potentially share in any learning.

I will await any and all feedback with interest.
 :)

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2016, 02:01:40 PM »

Hi

The Billion 7800 was a bit of a dogs dinner internally, very poor construction.  See the full catalog of build issues here http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?s=ba08767d38d39e30c2e0a236501ec660&p=15389638&postcount=14

It had corroding glue used on the board and heat-sinks half hanging off chips, it certainly didn't live up to its premium pricing.  I think the fact it worked as well as it did was just down to luck, or perhaps because the board was half empty it placed the analogue section further away from electrically noisy components on the board.

Regards

Phil

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2016, 04:17:13 PM »

The Billion 7800 was a bit of a dogs dinner internally, very poor construction.
Quote from: G.DMT
The Billion 7800 was the best modem I found  so far for my line.

I have to agree with both of these comments, for me the modem on my Billion has so far been the best for stability (equaling the performance of my old Speedtouch v6 which was also great). However I have also experienced the horrible build quality had 2 replacements over the time I have owned it (since 2012 I think?) and mine suffered from the corroding glue/solder issue a couple of years back and died.

This led to me recently ordering the Zyxel VMG8324 and the D-Link 320B as replacements now my 3rd 7800N is showing signs of imminent death.

My infineon TP-LInk router is much improved since I bought it, I am guessing because of firmware improvements.  I also had an Asus AC55U (Trend) which is totally unusable on my line and highly unstable.  When I speak to my neighbours many of them terrible problems with their stock ISP-supplied gear, they all start to glaze over when I start talking about noise, aluminium, SNR, modems and chipsets though so I don't bother, I just smile and look concerned.  I guess in reality your average punter woudn't even know how to log into their router, let alone upgrade the firmware or look at the stats .....

My secret hope is that the Zyxel will prove to have the performance of the Billion but with much improved build quality.

If they weren't so badly made I think the Billion 7800N would be a great second hand buy as a modem, sadly I wouldn't recommend one.

Chunks
Pages: 1 [2]