Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: BT to divert nuisance calls  (Read 12386 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
BT to divert nuisance calls
« on: February 11, 2016, 11:35:12 AM »

ktz392837

• Reg Member
Re: BT to divert nuisance calls
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 01:49:38 PM »

Will be good if all provide something e.g. Plusnet

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 03:44:15 PM »

Will need to wait and see how good it is.

Simply blocking calls based on the number presented to the end-user wouldn't achieve much as these are too easily spoofed and faked.  In the long ago days I worked in PSTN protocols there were various network parameters, easily visible to BT's switches, that might be inspected to identify some of these spoofed calls.  But I've no idea how that translates to the modern IP age, and also no idea how much effort BT or other CPs would really want to put into it.

It's been a quiet day here, no calls at all so far.  Yesterday was non-stop,  I got two recorded messages from PPI reclaims and loans management,  the fake guy from Microsoft in India wanting to install a virus, and somebody with a Brummie accent trying to get hold of my health details in exchange for M&S vouchers.   :D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 03:46:48 PM »

funny enough I was only talking about this to my sister yesterday and we both reckon the majority of calls done on landlines are now nuisance calls.

This seems to at least indicate its probably at the least well into double figures % wise.

It said it will use huge computing power to root out 25 million unwanted calls a week.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 04:12:19 PM »

And by diverting them to voice mail BT still get their call revenue.  We signed up at home to the TPS register years ago and I can't remember thd last time we got a nuisance call. I don't even get them on my personal  mobile, but I get a lot on my works mobile, but I  have software that just diverts the ones I've blocked to my voice mail.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 04:14:38 PM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 04:37:59 PM »

Will need to wait and see how good it is.

Simply blocking calls based on the number presented to the end-user wouldn't achieve much as these are too easily spoofed and faked.  In the long ago days I worked in PSTN protocols there were various network parameters, easily visible to BT's switches, that might be inspected to identify some of these spoofed calls.  But I've no idea how that translates to the modern IP age, and also no idea how much effort BT or other CPs would really want to put into it.

It's been a quiet day here, no calls at all so far.  Yesterday was non-stop,  I got two recorded messages from PPI reclaims and loans management,  the fake guy from Microsoft in India wanting to install a virus, and somebody with a Brummie accent trying to get hold of my health details in exchange for M&S vouchers.   :D

I don't hold out much hope, it will be like trying to nail fog!!

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 12:55:48 AM »

Leave the phone off-hook, see if you can rack up a bill for them. These morons must be having to pay for this activity somehow?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 01:07:58 AM »

Btw I didn't understand the article, is this something about the BT retail PSTN provider? Or BT wholesale PSTN services whoever you pay your PSTN bill to? I'm just wondering how many people will get the benefit, or whether this is a "sign up with BT" thing?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 01:14:22 AM by Weaver »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 01:09:13 AM »

I don't have any PSTN at all myself now, just VoIP, with my ISP, Andrews and Arnold, providing the service and a DECT IP phone. Not even any SSFPs any more.

BTW, I can redirect the VoIP to Janet's mobile phone too, so in fact we could manage without any additional VoIP hardware.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 02:01:21 AM »

There are very few nuisance calls received at The Cattery. When the odd one does occur, I like to toy with the caller . . . depending upon how grumpy I am that day!  ;)

There was a spate of calls following on from the TalkTalk affair last October. I was very close to putting together a 400 Hz audio oscillator, to inject the equivalent of NU tone at +10 dBm into the circuit whenever such nuisances occurred. Having a suitable oscillator, it was just a question of making up an AC coupling, DC blocking interface. There are currently ten unused axial, polyester, non-polarised, 2.2 microFarad, 250 V working capacitors in the grotto . . .  :angel:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 10:00:15 AM »

I remain undecided as to the origin of these calls, i.e. random or attributable to leaked data.

Many of the calls we receive will address us by the subscriber name (which is not me), and they know our street address, so they could either be random from the phone directory, or leaked data.

Others will address me as 'Mr Muddle', which appears in no directories and so are clearly attributable to data leakage.  On one occasion many years ago, I pinned a marketing call (from one of the energy providers) to a certain National hotel chain, where I had checked in with a slightly different name, and the caller addressed me by that name.  The reason I did that is a long story, but I promise nothing embarrassing or sinister.    :D

But with PPI calls and the likes, it is just a recorded message, 'You are entitled to compensation, press 5 to talk to an advisor'.  When I press 5, the advisor has not the slightest idea to whom or to what number he has been connected, and so I suspect they are just calling semi-random numbers.  Not totally random obviously, they'd restrict themselves to valid UK dialling codes and the 'random' numbers would be valid formats, but nothing more than that.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 01:19:42 PM »

i am on the TPS list and get about 5-10 nuisance calls a week

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 02:24:26 PM »

I don't have any PSTN at all myself now, just VoIP, with my ISP, Andrews and Arnold, providing the service and a DECT IP phone.
Did you port your original number onto SIP?   I'm half considering that myself so we can keep our number.  On the other hand I don't see how porting to SIP would remove nuisance calling.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 02:31:47 PM »

One problem I have recently with increasing frequency, when buying from internet traders, or making online hotel bookings and the likes is that they insist on a valid contact number so that they can sell it on to all and sundry "so that they can contact me in the event of a problem with my order".

I would never give a false number, as that would be grossly unfair if it happened to be a real number that belonged to somebody else.  But I have found, in pretty much all cases, the online forms will accept a number with the last digit missing.   :graduate:

Even my local Indian takeaway has recently adopted a computerised system for taking orders, and they now ask me for a contact number when I place an order.  So far, they have always accepted a polite 'No' to that request, otherwise I'd stop using them.   Strange that they can't just get it from the calling ID, I don't withhold.  Perhaps by asking, and by me responding, they can in some way claim that I consented to its use?

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 04:45:23 PM »

FWIW we've had a TrueCall unit for a few years now.

Our call stats run as follows :

Rejected numbers /automated dialers - 86.4% (this is pretty much consistent year on year)
Fake CLID - 72.1% (this is up over 200% in the last year).

There's a lot more stats than that but I think that for 500-1000 incoming calls/year those are the two most salient figures.

Now obviously SOMEONE knows who to bill for the calls and that "someone" will be renting capacity from a major teleco. Presenting a fake CLID with an automated dialer should be grounds for instant termination of service but of course none of the UK telecos is willing to take the hit in revenue.

I applaud the decision BT Retail has taken but can't help feeling its going to have a limited effect as it doesn't address the main problem.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4