Computer Software > Windows

Swannview Link throughput question.

(1/2) > >>

Bowdon:
I've recently installed an updated version Swannview Link on to my Win10 machine. The program is for me to be able to see the CCTV cameras on my home network. I purposely havent set it up to be available for the Internet.

On my WinXP machine I have an earlier version and the throughput is between 700 to 800KB/s.

I've installed 2 newer versions of this program on the Win10 machine but the throughput is only between 40 and 50KB/s.

I noticed that when installing this Swannview Link program it also installs a program called Winpcap. I'm assuming this program is responsible for the throughput rate on the network? I have seen a site were people are saying its not compatable with Win10. Could this be the reason for the slow throughput?

I'm wondering as there is another site that claims to have a Window10 version of the program. But before I install it I'm just wondering if this program is the reason for the slow throughput?

loonylion:
winpcap is a packet capture driver.

Bowdon:
I got the throughput increased by downgrading to a previous version of the program.

The new version of Swannview Link is rubbish. It doesn't even have a logout button, so I had to X out of it.

guest:
Dunno what DVR you have but Swann are mentioned here :

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/02/18/blank_519070_the_pin_to_enter_to_pwn_80k_online_security_cams/

Basically there's a hardcoded root account with a password of 519070 which allows complete compromise of the DVR - and is obviously behind your firewall so has unrestricted network access from the shell account.

Bowdon:

--- Quote from: rizla on February 18, 2016, 10:42:05 AM ---Dunno what DVR you have but Swann are mentioned here :

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/02/18/blank_519070_the_pin_to_enter_to_pwn_80k_online_security_cams/

Basically there's a hardcoded root account with a password of 519070 which allows complete compromise of the DVR - and is obviously behind your firewall so has unrestricted network access from the shell account.

--- End quote ---

I don't have the system open to outside of my network. The ports are closed. I just access the cameras on my computers via LAN.

The article doesn't surprise me. I've looked for firmware updates for the unit and never found any.

They are fairly cheap machines, even though at first was priced around £400 (I think its now dropped to the £200 to £300 range).

The units have no on/off switch. The only way to turn the power off is to pull the power lead out.

This is my second unit, after the other was replaced because suddenly the power to the cameras (they are powered by PoE) all stopped working. I got a replacement and at the moment the motion detection recording stopped working on one of the cameras. Supposedly that function is from the unit, though I've changed ethernet port connectors of that camera and it's still doing it.

Its nearly impossible to find the more expensive cameras advertised as its all bogged down in this low-end price range. Different companies are competing but from what I've seen they all get similar faults.

Swann support is absolutely useless. I emailed them about the camera not recording during motion detection (if I set it to record all the time it works). The guy replied, maybe its the power strip? Wth  >:(

I don't know how people can be so 'thick' these days with computers and technology. The people up to 40 and 50 years old have had a life time were computers have played a significant role in their lives. Where have they been hiding!?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version