Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Got my SNR to 0 was I stupid?  (Read 2230 times)

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
Got my SNR to 0 was I stupid?
« on: April 27, 2016, 04:52:49 PM »

I managed to catch a power cut!

Unfortunately one modem dropped out soon after(S.Step), and seems to be banded or something along those lines as it didn't sync at max with no cross-talk.

The other one is holding on at 0db with max sync(S.Step2), will DLM punish me for my sins.....

The line was at 57mbps before so 6db of margin gave me 22mbps.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 05:11:15 PM by S.Stephenson »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Got my SNR to 0 was I stupid?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 05:12:14 PM »

>> The line was at 57mbps before so 6db of margin gave me 22mbps.

Sits rather well with wombats theory "Sync speeds of 60Mbps or more - each 3dB is worth 11Mbps."

>> will DLM punish me for my sins

Yep - Resync asap. 

Your line is amber atm and continuing to rise.  There's not a full days total yet, and already you are well on your way to attracting attention of the DLM.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 05:14:13 PM »

Will do, was fun while it lasted  :lol:

Its performing worse than its regular sync anyway.

Does BT have IP profiles, or is the S.Step line banded as in the attached image the resync was under ideal conditions and didn't reach anywhere near the max.

Not that the banding matters as I can't achieve it anyway  :'(
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 05:27:41 PM by S.Stephenson »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 07:03:20 PM »

Yes, a fun experiment whilst it lasted. 

The IP profile should automatically re-adjust at each retrain.

Although both DLM and IPprofile come under control of RAMBO, they are two different things and the IPprofile isnt a cap on sync speed.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 08:27:48 PM »

Kitz but now he has all three reds lit up on the downstream DLM

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 08:34:32 PM »

Yep.   It was amber when I first typed, but guessed it may swing to red due to how quickly they were racking up,  which is why I said resync asap.

Id noticed it had later swung to all red, when I typed a reply to one of his other threads here

I note your E/S shot into red though, so looks like a bit too long running and 0dB and I expect the DLM will take some action.

:(
-----

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 09:07:14 PM »

Had they had 7 days worth of stats under there belt they would have known the total errored seconds over a 24 period and the experiment would have ceased after 5 minutes of samples, all I can see is Interleaving knocking on that lines door.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 09:20:33 PM by NewtronStar »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 10:04:07 PM »

Its a relatively new (2nd) line, still on open profile.  I think he'd only just got around to setting up the load balancer, DSLstats & MDWS on it.
He did manage to capture the power cut though and see what his line would be without any crosstalk.
-----

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 10:47:26 PM »

This open profile had made me think a bit more would Interleaving not be the best way for a new line, ok it gives out false max attainable results and syncs lower due to overheads.

That is why I would setup the DLM on a new line Interleaving first then G.INP if no G.INP is detected then move to fastpath if errored seconds go above DLM threshold move to Interleave then check again for G.INP if still no then stick with Interleave untill G.INP become active.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 10:52:34 PM by NewtronStar »

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 11:16:47 PM »

@S.Stephenson

I've been trying to work out why your 2nd line keeps changing from BTW to Plusnet as the upload ISP and back every so often.

Eventually discovered you are uploading from both at random times (but not at the same time), primarily from the BTW one. In the last 15mins, you've had the Plusnet one 5 times and BTW 10... The upload data is coming from the same terminal each time but looks like you are load balancing rather than bonding? Doesn't appear to be having any adverse affect but looks strange.

Same happened to me on my software bonding here at first but it's possible to set it to make any running application (such as DSLstats in this instance) only use one specific NIC to get round this if needs be.

Just ran another check and both lines are doing at as might be expected from the above.
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 11:42:21 PM »

@tbailey2
I don't know of anyway to make the uploads come through a specific line with my network setup.

I am using hardware load balancing with the 2 monitoring systems plugged into a network switch that is plugged into the load balancer.

I did for a few days monitor the new line on S.Step which would be visible if you look at line attenuation.

@kitz

The line was activated on the 19th so would I be correct in the assumption of an open profile until the 29th?

Edit:
I've been looking at the total errored seconds and even after I resynced the totals continued to rise at a similar rate or am I reading it wrong?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 12:16:38 AM by S.Stephenson »