Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: My History Of ADSL Speeds  (Read 14277 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: My History Of ADSL Speeds
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2016, 06:54:07 PM »

Nice link regarding the ECP equipment ..... that is indeed the old-style rack with compressor.  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2016, 10:31:19 PM »

Does this page help explain what you might have seen, and how it links to the basement?

The E-side cables (and the junction/trunk cables to other exchanges, when copper) will have been pressurised by air to keep water out, so there's a good chance you saw something related to that.

Ohh.. yes, something like the Exchange Pressure Rack...  dont think it was quite the same, but near as damnit from what I can recall.

The E-side cables (and the junction/trunk cables to other exchanges, when copper) will have been pressurised by air to keep water out,
Yep that was it.   

That's quite neat. A personalised cable tracer

The 2nd day was interesting in a very different way than the first because it did make things personal.   They could call up all my details and track my line right through the system.  Im not sure if OR can do that these days as I know things have clamped down a bit since LLU on what info is readily available.     I think they also tried to make that day a bit historical too by showing some old cards which is how they used to keep records of the phone lines and mentioned that the exchange was the first in the UK to go fully automated blah blah. :) 

Something like this?

Yes,  but I also have another idea ;)

I thought the top picture was an OCR -

You are likely correct.  I trust your judgement...  In fact when I look again, I am certain that you are correct. 

this one specifically an ECI F152-HB OLT (more visible in the pdf on that page)

Having seen the pdf, it does seem that as well as being the OLT, this is what BTw referred to as the element manager in DLM.  I knew it would be something similar to what the Fujitsu switch hubs/master control shelves do as explained by the BTw guy in the larger exchange I visited.

It would kind of be the fttc equivalent of this?  Which is a Fujitsu master shelf to OR... and on here you can see the orange STM4 which connected up to the ODF > Backhaul.

Where I think I got muxed up [pun], is I was thinking that with
ASDL you go
MDF > Handover > DSLAM > Master Hub/Switch > ODF >  Backhaul  or
MDF > Handover > MSAN > ODF > Backhaul

Looking at the Openreach diagram again, I can see for FTTC it goes

DSLAM > Handover >  OCR > OLT > Backhaul

Not having seen an OLT and FTTC headend exchange, my mistaken impression was thinking that there may be something like the ODFs before the backhaul.  :-[  Thank you I think its much clearer now.    I just need to find time to sit and digest all those new links..  most informative.

I really must get my arse in gear and request that visit but I really dont know when :(
It is frustrating that when it came to adsl I knew a a fair bit,  but I have large gaps when it comes to Fibre.   I dont seem to find the time these days to do the massive amounts of research.   I think DLM was the last time I did anything meaty. :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2016, 12:00:45 PM »

Strange ... while I wrote that last post, the website didn't show me that BS had replied with details of the ECP, nor Kitz' PS. Sorry I missed those.

@Kitz: I can understand both your sentiment and reasoning, and find it a shame that there are those who choose to spend their time flinging wrath and accusation, but can't find a positive channel for their energy. Your way is much better - but it probably came with more appreciation in the past than currently.

@BS:
I was surprised when looking at the photos of the OCR that the incoming fibre was in a yellow jacket. Then some of the photos visible on that Flickr Photostream (like this one) show a number of joints in the cable chamber that perhaps convert the external black cable into internal yellow. Is that likely to be the case? The photos then have lots of orange cables mixed into the same splice joints, so I'm wondering about those. However, I assume H&S raises its head even inside exchanges, so you'd expect a swap from external-grade plastics into low-smoke internal-grade.

Those pictures probably answer another question. All those architecture pictures show the route from head-end to aggregation node to include "CCJ" and "TJ". I wondered about what a CCJ was, but I now guess it is a "cable chamber joint". The "Connecting Shropshire" page reckoned TJ=Track Joint.

Looking at the Openreach diagram again, I can see for FTTC it goes

DSLAM > Handover >  OCR > OLT > Backhaul

Not having seen an OLT and FTTC headend exchange, my mistaken impression was thinking that there may be something like the ODFs before the backhaul.

The output from the OLT is the Openreach cablelink product, which I guess goes off to CP equipment for different CP's - BTW, Sky, TT being most likely - and quite possibly combined with other cablelinks (multiple OLT's?) to then be distributed onto backhaul fibre. If I had to guess, I'd say that each CP would have still have some kind of ODF (optical distribution frame) where there is a handover between the in-building backhaul fibre, and the backhaul fibre leading back out of the building.

Having seen the pdf, it does seem that as well as being the OLT, this is what BTw referred to as the element manager in DLM.  I knew it would be something similar to what the Fujitsu switch hubs/master control shelves do as explained by the BTw guy in the larger exchange I visited.

It would kind of be the fttc equivalent of this?  Which is a Fujitsu master shelf to OR... and on here you can see the orange STM4 which connected up to the ODF > Backhaul.

An element manager? Related to DLM?

Hmmm ... that name rings a bell, but in a totally different context, all to do with O&M. Nothing to do with the flow of traffic.

I'll have to investigate more... Is there anything else on your site that shows the element manager, or the master/hub, in relationship to other things?

It is frustrating that when it came to adsl I knew a a fair bit,  but I have large gaps when it comes to Fibre.
Its safe to say that what I've learnt about fibre has come in dribs and drabs. And whenever I learn something new, it usually manages to show that my previous understanding was wrong in some fashion. But I expect not campaigning so much takes away a little of the priority too...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

anything