Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A history of UK Telco Transmission Networks  (Read 6516 times)

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: A history of UK Telco Transmission Networks
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2016, 05:32:11 PM »

The ROC bunkers were everywhere, literally hundreds of them. I've been down a couple. See picture. There were also a smaller number of ROTOR sites which were characterised by having a bungalow on top of them such as the one here http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/sites/l/langtoft/

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2016, 07:19:41 PM »

Thanks for the pdf, love all this sort of stuff.
Real engineering & real engineers :)

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2016, 07:20:07 PM »

We viewed a ROTOR bunker for sale in Aberdeenshire near Inverbervie, complete with bungalow.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2016, 07:36:04 PM »

We viewed a ROTOR bunker for sale in Aberdeenshire near Inverbervie, complete with bungalow.

Out of nosiness, how much ?
(I will be counting my shekels (For Pedants: I know it should be sheqels)  ;) )

Could be an entertaining location.
I like that end of Scotland !!

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2016, 08:05:02 PM »

They were all part of the civil defence system.  WB400/WB1400 was yet another system I worked on, converting all the local UAX's from WB400 to WB1400 (which was scrapped soon after). The WB400/1400 system was the '4 minute warning' broadcast sytem that was sent to receivers located at post offices, police stations, civil defence personnel's houses etc. It utilised the speaking clock distribution network to operate. There's quite a good description here http://www.ringbell.co.uk/ukwmo/Page212.htm

About 30 years ago when I first bought our local village shop and post office there was a Receiver Speech WB1400 and Loudspeaker Unit WB1400, it was taken out in 1995 and I have them  :) as the chap was binning them .
Until that time they worked as we had to check them weekly and report if not.
The wiring was still in when we sold the shop 13 years ago.
We still have a underground bunker about 1 mile outside of the village .
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2016, 08:24:01 PM »

Bungalows as guard houses! How ... quintessentially British! Isn't it funny the kind of things that can come out from an odd post?

Maybe I'll have to visit Hack Green...

I went hunting through that EMSS site to see what it came up with for more modern comms. A Mitel SX2000 surprised me - I'd have really expected an iSDX.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2016, 09:23:56 PM »

Bungalows as guard houses! How ... quintessentially British! Isn't it funny the kind of things that can come out from an odd post?

Maybe I'll have to visit Hack Green...

I went hunting through that EMSS site to see what it came up with for more modern comms. A Mitel SX2000 surprised me - I'd have really expected an iSDX.

Indeed, thanks for the opportunity for a few reminiscences. I was only involved in the transmission side of things, so know nothing of the switching side.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2016, 08:59:21 AM »

Out of nosiness, how much ?
(I will be counting my shekels (For Pedants: I know it should be sheqels)  ;) )
Asking price in 2010 was £250K.  We didn't take things further primarily because most of the site had been sold separately, leaving the bunker, bungalow and a couple of acres closely surrounded by security fences.   This is what it was like when we viewed.  You can see one of the owner's 10 alsatians, while we waited for him to lock them all up in a disused bus to make the site safe for us to enter.

Here's a wee write up from when the property was back on the market later ..
http://uniquepropertybulletinarchive.co.uk/unique-property-bulletin-14-july-2013/

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2016, 12:01:04 PM »

Very interesting indeed. Thank you for the picture and link, aesmith.  :)

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2016, 09:37:22 PM »

They were all part of the civil defence system.  WB400/WB1400 was yet another system I worked on, converting all the local UAX's from WB400 to WB1400 (which was scrapped soon after). The WB400/1400 system was the '4 minute warning' broadcast sytem that was sent to receivers located at post offices, police stations, civil defence personnel's houses etc. It utilised the speaking clock distribution network to operate. There's quite a good description here http://www.ringbell.co.uk/ukwmo/Page212.htm

Yes, it's amazing the research that guy has done - fascinating stuff.

I can relate to a lot of it, being on the Trunk Maintenance Control Centre (TMCC, or 'Trunk Test' as was) from '70'to 72. Not being in regular use, there were always shedloads of faults on the EMSS circuits after a routine test.

Later, as a Pool Technical officer on rural exchanges, it became apparent that the switching guys weren't at all keen on
maintaining the WB400 network, what with all that stuff that didn't make a noise, with things called 'levels' measured in dBs, and at 72 kc/s, whatever that meant! So, it was all mine if I wanted it, which of course I did. Being on the other side of the fence now, so to speak, I also got the chance to visit several ROC posts. Probably part of the reason I was subsequently 'poached' onto transmission.

Happy daze days.   :)
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
Pages: 1 [2]

anything