Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: My History Of ADSL Speeds  (Read 14265 times)

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
My History Of ADSL Speeds
« on: February 05, 2016, 08:37:09 AM »

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if anyone could help me with regards to my history of ADSL speeds? When I first moved in to this house in Newton Poppleford in November 2006, we had a download speed of 1 Mbps and an upload speed of 0.2 Mbps. This was our download and upload speed right up until 2012 when it suddenly increased to a download speed of 5 Mbps and an upload speed of 0.4 Mbps. Shortly after this the upload speed increased to 0.8 Mbps and it stayed like this until we had BT Infinity 1 activated on 27/04/2015. So, what were all of these types of ADSL? When we moved in, were we on a fixed line rate or something different? Note, our line was 3.5 km long when we had ADSL.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 08:42:12 AM by William Grimsley »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: My History Of ADSL Speeds
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 09:04:05 AM »

Is "infinity" FTTC?

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 09:34:28 AM »

Hi weaver

Yes, Infiniti 1 is 40/10 and Infiniti 2 is 80/20

That's always been my understanding

I would hazard s guess in 2006, you would be on ADSL, then upgraded to ADSL2, then ADSL2+ and/or your speed caps were raised by ISP

Many thanks

John

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 09:55:31 AM »

2006 is when ADSL Max came in (variable downstream best-efforts sync). I remember being delighted when I went from 0.5 Mbps to 1.5 Mbps overnight.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 11:12:11 AM »

Thanks for the input, guys.

I'm pretty sure I was on ADSL Max in 2006 but saying that I could of been on WBC Fixed Rate then?

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 02:50:05 PM »

Not sure whether it was WBC in those days, but yes, I'd say you were on fixed rate (nominally 1024/256).

I was on the same at the time, at my previous house, and I eventually persuaded my then ISP, Claranet, to  change it to 2048/256.

That was the best I could get, due to a significant proportion of the line being aluminium.

The joints were causing shedloads of faults upstream of the ali, so BT eventually provided copper, and Deep Joy! - I then got around 4.5Mbps on ADSL1, and 5Mbps when ADSL2 came along.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 02:54:31 PM »

Ah, cool. In 2006, I was too young (only 8 at the time) to persuade my parents to see if they could ask BT to upgrade the speed, too young to be affected by the slow speed and I didn't know how broadband worked back then.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 03:34:22 PM »

So do you think it's fair to say that back then you were on ADSL2 capped rate? That gives us a choice of different capped rates, then suddenly we perhaps go to ADSL2 variable-speed rate. You mentioned 5 Mbps (?), sounds consistent with the 3.5 km you mentioned, a fairly good line though, plus a decent modem which is always important.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 03:57:31 PM »

So do you think it's fair to say that back then you were on ADSL2 capped rate? That gives us a choice of different capped rates, then suddenly we perhaps go to ADSL2 variable-speed rate. You mentioned 5 Mbps (?), sounds consistent with the 3.5 km you mentioned, a fairly good line though, plus a decent modem which is always important.

My exchange Colaton Raleigh was ADSL Max enabled on 31/03/2006 so I think we were on ADSL max when we moved in but SamKnows doesn't show the date 21CN WBC (ADSL2) was enabled so I'm not sure whether we had ADSL Max or ADSL2 when we moved in. However, when our download speed increased to 5 Mbps, I think we were given the BT Home Hub 3 which wasn't a "top of the range" router but it did the job.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 04:01:50 PM by William Grimsley »

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 07:45:21 PM »

I'm pretty sure I was on ADSL Max in 2006 but saying that I could of been on WBC Fixed Rate then?

From memory, before Max the residential service sold was 2meg fixed rate, delivered as 1meg or 512K if the line didn't comply with the 2meg requirements (at the same price).  Someone will no doubt remember the attenuation limits.  Prior to that the residential service was 512K with 50:1 contention, business services were 512K, 1meg or 2meg with different prices for the different speeds, all at 20:1.  (Also 5:1 contention and 1:1 options, although I only remember seeing these offered for private DSL connections, not for Internet access)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 07:59:47 PM »

From memory, before Max the residential service sold was 2meg fixed rate, delivered as 1meg or 512K if the line didn't comply with the 2meg requirements (at the same price).  Someone will no doubt remember the attenuation limits.  Prior to that the residential service was 512K with 50:1 contention, business services were 512K, 1meg or 2meg with different prices for the different speeds, all at 20:1.  (Also 5:1 contention and 1:1 options, although I only remember seeing these offered for private DSL connections, not for Internet access)

ADSL was offered at 512K, 1MB or 2MB (at differing price points) - but the line had to me at or under a certain attenuation limit as you mention - 43dB (my line only just made it!) - before an BT engineer would install/sign off on it

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 10:34:29 PM »

The 0.2Mbps upload speed probably matches with the 288kBps upstream sync of the 3 fixed speed packages.

The 0.4Mbps upload probably matches with the 448kbps upstream of ADSLmax. Plusnet used to leave subscribers capped on this speed when they transferred them onto 21CN, WBC, ADSL2+ service, so you can't be 100% sure.

When you were on 0.8Mbps upload, then you could be sure to be on a WBC 21CN service.

If I remember right, introduction of ADSL Max wasn't automatic. You had to ask.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 12:27:46 AM »

If I remember right, introduction of ADSL Max wasn't automatic. You had to ask.

It depended on the ISP, but there were quite a few who kept their customers on a lower speed product unless they specifically asked.   Even if they had migrated the line to maxdsl they artificiality capped the line at their end.    It sounds like this was the case with William.

The other option is was a 'max capped rate' line, which could have been triggered by the DLM, but reading Williams OP, its unlikely.

This is what Im assuming

November 2006, download speed of 1 Mbps and an upload speed of 0.2 Mbps.  -  You purchased this product as fixed rate.   In Nov 2006 not all ISPs were selling maxdsl yet as it experienced some issues for the early adapters.  It wasnt until mid/late 2007 that BTw pricing changes encouraged more ISPs to offer maxdsl.

2012 when it suddenly increased to a download speed of 5 Mbps and an upload speed of 0.4 Mbps.  Your ISP ditched any capped products and moved all over to maxdsl.

Shortly after this the upload speed increased to 0.8 Mbps Your exchange got upgraded to adsl2+

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2016, 12:56:06 AM »

A very interesting thread so far!

I'm just wondering why there isn't much mention of ADSL2+ that Be offered between 2004 to 2014.

When ADSL2+ was in effect it offered upto 24Mbps download and 2.5Mbps upload speed. I think the high upload speed came by requesting Annex M be implemented. This reduced the download speed, I think by 2Mbps.

I used to connect at 12Mbps. I know there was a 24Mbps 'club' on the ISP forum. But I don't think many people got the full 24Mbps. I remember they had to change the advertising to upto 16Mbps.

Be was at the forefront at the time. It's a real shame they stalled at introducing a fibre product. This was a BIG debate towards the end of the ISP. They said they were working on it. Then out of no where they said Sky was going to buy them out.

I think a lot of the Be staff crossed over to pure fibre supplier, Hyperoptic.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 02:07:01 AM »

When ADSL2+ was in effect it offered upto 24Mbps download and 2.5Mbps upload speed.
I know there was a 24Mbps 'club' on the ISP forum.

I was in the '24Mbps club'.  ;D  I also had Annex_M

I just managed to scrape 24 down and 2.6 up when their MSAN was shiny and new in April 2008.  A few months later I was 23,861/2688 where I sat for a while.  I still qualified though as I could easily get 24Mbps if I turned Annex_M off in my router.

When they added the O2 users though I lost some downstream due to crosstalk, and gradually my downstream got chipped away.  (crosstalk isnt exclusive to fttc).
I just looked at one of my sync speeds taken in July 2012 and it was 22095/2667  SNRM 3.0/3.5, before I left I was down to about 21Mbps.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything