Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Fibre new-sites  (Read 1834 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Fibre new-sites
« on: February 05, 2016, 07:23:30 AM »

New build homes to have superfast broadband connectivity

Clive, Minister Brandon Lewis and the House Builder Federation (HBF) are jointly announcing a new agreement today to provide fibre to all new build sites.

They will be at a new site in Bury St Edmunds to announce the scheme, which aims to deliver fibre broadband infrastructure to new build properties in the UK.

Here are the key points within the agreement –

•We will offer fibre based broadband to all new developments either for free or as part of a co-funded initiative. We estimate that more than half of all new build properties can be connected to fibre broadband free of charge to developers.
•We’ll work with the developers in a more co-ordinated manner, for example by encouraging homebuilders to register a new build development with us at the land purchase stage or beginning of the planning process. This means the broadband infrastructure should be in place when customers move into their new homes.
•We are introducing an online planning tool for homebuilders – the connectivity assessment tool. This will tell them whether properties in a given development can be connected to fibre for free, or whether a contribution is needed from the developer to jointly fund the deployment of the local fibre network.
•From today, the housing industry will have access to a ‘rate card’ from us which details the fixed cost contributions required by homebuilders in those cases where a co-funded model is required. We will make a significant contribution ourself before seeking any funds from developers.
•The co-funding scheme is entirely voluntary and if homebuilders decide not to take up our offer the development will be connected to copper broadband for free.

With the support of the HBF we’ve delivered a series of measures to give developers greater clarity, choice and more funding.
Full details are available on the developers' website ( http://www.newdevelopments-openreach.co.uk/ )  where you can also find FAQs.

This is a further step to Building Britain’s connected future and closer to our ambition of giving 100% service to all people moving into their new home.

Kim Mears
MD, Infrastructure Delivery

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Fibre new-sites
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 10:23:14 AM »

It's great to see someone taking this initiative, there's one new estate built around here recently which has terrible broadband as the cab is not FTTC  enabled. Let's hope the house developer's get on board.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 11:19:26 AM »

I'm assuming that this article is talking about optical fibre ie FTTP. But I can't be sure. This is what makes it so difficult when the men in suits start misusing the term "fibre" to mean copper as when the marketing men get their hands on it as in the case of FTTC. BlackSheep and I differ on this and I think I am beginning to understand his position properly

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 11:33:16 AM »

This is great news. If only this could have been started a few years ago.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 11:51:35 AM by William Grimsley »

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 05:18:53 PM »

BT Openreach Makes Offer To Connect Every New Home In UK

Openreach says it will offer to connect new homes for free or as part of a joint-funding agreement with developers following criticisms about connectivity
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 06:14:19 PM »

BT Openreach Makes Offer To Connect Every New Home In UK

Openreach says it will offer to connect new homes for free or as part of a joint-funding agreement with developers following criticisms about connectivity

About bloody time! :lol:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 10:44:04 PM »

Makes sense and its the ideal opportunity to do so.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything