Computer Software > Security

Security Question

(1/3) > >>

UncleUB:
I run McAfee and yesterday it blocked a trojan.When I do a full scan(every week)all it ever removes are tracking cookies.Is there a chance stuff can get past the security software and is there a way to check if anything is in your computer that shouldn't be.I am using vista and have Mcafee for another two years free.

Pwiggler:
Hi UB

if you goto http://security.symantec.com/default.asp?productid=symhome&langid=ie&venid=sym you can do a free online security/virus scan on symantics web site, i use it quite often to see if any nasties got thru my other defenses

kitz:
Just check the file too. 
I had AVG pull up a file on my system about a week or so back stating that the file was a trojan.   Said file is one Ive had for several years over various AVs  and one I wanted to keep.
False positives do occur on occasion.

UncleUB:
where would I look for dodgy files/how do you tell?.I had a look in the registry but don't know where to start

oldfogy:
>> False positives do occur on occasion
Some "False positives" that show up on some peoples PCs are either key-generators or program cracks, because technically cracks are a trojan in-so-far as they are designed to change part of a programs normal operating process without the programs permission.

>> where would I look for dodgy files/how do you tell?.
By running at different times using different programs then placing the result/s and search on the internet (or Googling as some may say) to see what other people are saying about them.

Some time back I tried three different programs one after the other and all three came back with a degree of different results.
So what one program may pick up, another will either not know about or ignore it as being safe.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version