Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: g.fast network rearranging  (Read 3904 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
g.fast network rearranging
« on: May 27, 2016, 03:51:17 PM »

I have heard whispers whilst nodes are not part of the early rollout, openreach will be doing network rearrangement in some areas to improve the property count within g.fast range, this is cheaper than deploying remote nodes.

Meaning if you near to a cabinet that is not your cabinet, you may be in for a pleasant surprise.

Since I have a cabinet across the road from my front door, g.fast suddenly has me interested.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Re: g.fast network rearranging
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 04:03:12 PM »

Do you think eci cabs may get this one day post g.inp if it ever happens?

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 04:09:41 PM »

It's been previously announced that Openreach have started doing some network rearrangement already, to continue for the few of years (finishing 2020/21). Installing about 2,800 extra cabinets. It was in the BTWholesale January ISP Forum slides.

@skyeci
I seem to keep saying this, the type of FTTC cabinet doesn't matter for G.fast, it requires new hardware to be installed. It won't make much difference if it gets put in a new cabinet, squeezed into empty space in an existing cabinet, or tucked away underground.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 05:52:03 PM »

It's been previously announced that Openreach have started doing some network rearrangement already, to continue for the few of years (finishing 2020/21). Installing about 2,800 extra cabinets. It was in the BTWholesale January ISP Forum slides.

Worth emphasising that this was said as part of and NGA update (alongside vague mention of vectoring), not as part of NGA2 (ie not G.Fast).

I understand there has been copper re-arrangement going on within BDUK projects for a while. Not just the introduction of new/extra cabinets, but being re-arranged onto an old cabinet too.

KIAB

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 07:19:11 PM »

Wish they do some network rearrangement here,& install a new AIO cabinet other end of my village, it would knock nearly 200mtrs off my distance to the cab & remove the unnecessary doubling back of my cable.

Plus many peeps other side of the canal would benefit immensely from a significant speed boost,due to the shorter distance to a new & closer AIO cab.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 09:14:33 PM by KIAB »

clayyy

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 10:45:28 AM »

i hope you are right, moving or adding a cab to the middle of my area would resolve a lot of our issues. At present the cab is at one end and serves only a few houses with superfast due to aluminium.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 11:27:07 AM »

What about customers like myself who are 700 meters away from their cabinet. I presume a node will be placed on a pole outside the house?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 12:28:15 PM »

Pretty sure it wont be any new cabinets, as that would also need new fibre, its just copper rearrangement.

KIAB

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 02:18:55 PM »

Pretty sure it wont be any new cabinets, as that would also need new fibre, its just copper rearrangement.

Do hope your wrong. :)

If they installed a AIO cabinet,quite a few peeps who currently get around 15Mb,maybe slightly less, would jump to the full 80Mb speed.
Would probably work out cheaper than installing quite a few nodes here & there, also it would replace roughly 170 metres of aluminum cable which as been the cause of all of my problems & others, replaced along High St, so many others would also benefit to a fibre cable upgrade.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 02:34:48 PM by KIAB »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 03:08:47 PM »

yeah but their marketing team has no interest in boosting people from 15mbit to 80mbit.

They just want to market a new ultrafast product.

anything