Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: Investigating Billion BiPAC 8800NL Line Stats  (Read 38551 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Investigating Billion BiPAC 8800NL Line Stats
« Reply #150 on: February 15, 2016, 07:53:57 PM »

DLM has already lowered G.INP a step.   

Last time I got hammered by DLM and had a cap applied, the cap came off before INP.   Therefore g.INP may be the last to come off.
It possibly depends on what order DLM applies, but off the top of my head from the flow chart it should be g.inp then cap, then reverse it for removal.
It would have been of more benefit if William had recorded the steps it took on the way down.  We dont know how hard it went in from the beginning and whether it detected the line as Scarlet.  That way he would have more of an idea what to expect when it does come off.

I wouldnt be surprised if at 20 resyncs he went straight to ILQ Scarlet (not red).
In which case he will have been hammered hard by the DLM.. and especially if he did more deliberate resyncs the next day which I think he did.. then it could take longer to recover.  :( 

If he'd done it it steps then it would also have been easier to anticipate recovery and for a first offence step back up each day.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #151 on: February 15, 2016, 07:58:45 PM »

Kitz' table of sync rate percentage changes and durations at
    http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm#IPprofile_increase_time
only applies to 20CN users. There's no known equivalent for 21CN unfortunately, is that the case?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #152 on: February 15, 2016, 08:25:51 PM »

Thats the IP profile which limits throughput speed throughput at the RAS.   

Unfortunately William has invoked the wrath of the DLM God, who has stuck with lightening bolts and dished out worst punishment of capping the sync rate. [banding/rate limiting]

No-one really knows how long banding can take to get removed, be that 20CN/21CN or fttc.  :(
As mentioned above, I got rate limited once, but it was a first offence through errored seconds.  It took a couple of days.   DLM is kinder for first offences, but I think William went to scarlet hell.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #153 on: February 15, 2016, 08:47:21 PM »

I wouldnt be surprised if at 20 resyncs he went straight to ILQ Scarlet (not red).
In which case he will have been hammered hard by the DLM.. and especially if he did more deliberate resyncs the next day which I think he did.. then it could take longer to recover.  :( 

Then that sounds its going to take more than 14 days for the DLM to recover his line as 14 day was spot on for my line when it was capped at 22000 kbps after I made a mistake with rewiring and forgot to turn off the HG612 with 8 disconnects in 1 hour

Have learnt a lot from that Saturday evening 2 years ago "don't drink & rewire your XDSL cable"  :-[

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #154 on: February 15, 2016, 08:55:14 PM »

Sorry, the steps were first the Downstream Data Rate dropped from 40000 Kbps to 39999 Kbps then it went down to 35000 Kbps so I presume the first step was G.INP related then banding.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #155 on: February 16, 2016, 05:54:48 AM »

For reference when I got banded, it only was finally removed when Openreach support desk staff did a DLM reset on my line.  Before then it was there for months.

However I was banded at 74mbit which was above my attainable so luckily it didnt really affect me.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #156 on: February 16, 2016, 07:25:51 AM »

Just had another DLM resync at 05:40. The Upstream INP has decreased from 48.00 to 0.00 and the Upstream interleaver depth has decreased from 8 to 1. However, the Downstream Rate continues to be 34999 Kbps, the Downstream INP is still 48.00 and the Downstream interleaver depth is still 16.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 07:42:44 AM by William Grimsley »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #157 on: February 16, 2016, 10:22:50 PM »

The Upstream INP has decreased from 48.00 to 0.00 and the Upstream interleaver depth has decreased from 8 to 1.

Yep that is the DLM turning off G.INP on the upstream as standard under this new MK2 G.INP, no change in your downstream sync rate yet but the upstream SNRm has lowered since G.INP was removed and the normal US errored seconds start showing up

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #158 on: February 18, 2016, 11:13:52 AM »

IIRC, William went through the power cycle process over 3 consecutive days.

However, he did this with only an HH5, so the details available to us are extremely limited.

I suspect that the first visible change in speed came about as a result of a change in INP settings, but we will never know for sure. My line encountered that when we had that dicky RCD tripping multiple times per day, but i couldnt leave the computer to log anything; too risky. Other changes will likely have happened largely invisibly, until the final banding became apparent.

I recall my first response about how to investigate DLM behaviour was to not start with an HH5.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #159 on: February 18, 2016, 01:48:49 PM »

IIRC, William went through the power cycle process over 3 consecutive days.

However, he did this with only an HH5, so the details available to us are extremely limited.

I suspect that the first visible change in speed came about as a result of a change in INP settings, but we will never know for sure. My line encountered that when we had that dicky RCD tripping multiple times per day, but i couldnt leave the computer to log anything; too risky. Other changes will likely have happened largely invisibly, until the final banding became apparent.

I recall my first response about how to investigate DLM behaviour was to not start with an HH5.

Yes, all my disconnections and reconnections of the DSL cable were down the BT Home Hub 5 not the Billion BiPAC 8800NL. So, yes unfortunately I don't have any data.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #160 on: February 19, 2016, 07:16:05 AM »

Yes, all my disconnections and reconnections of the DSL cable were down the BT Home Hub 5 not the Billion BiPAC 8800NL. So, yes unfortunately I don't have any data.

Once the line's back to full speed, you could do it again with the Billion ....

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #161 on: February 19, 2016, 07:35:02 AM »

Once the line's back to full speed, you could do it again with the Billion ....

No, I'm definitely not going to do that. I've already learnt my lesson! :lol:

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #162 on: March 19, 2016, 01:45:19 AM »

No-one really knows how long banding can take to get removed, be that 20CN/21CN or fttc.  :(
As mentioned above, I got rate limited once, but it was a first offence through errored seconds.  It took a couple of days.   DLM is kinder for first offences, but I think William went to scarlet hell.

FWIW Plusnet have a page on their site about how DLM works on FTTC and why the reversal process can take a long time...
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

anything