Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Statement by the Outgoing CEO of Openreach  (Read 1537 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Statement by the Outgoing CEO of Openreach
« on: February 01, 2016, 06:00:18 PM »

[Moderator note -- This thread has been created by splitting the posts from the BT Group Q3 Results thread.]

Folks,

Following the publication of our financial results, I’d like to add my perspective on our progress in building Britain’s connected future. It’s been hard with the poor weather and flooding, but despite that, we have made improvements in the face of one of our most challenging periods ever. Our revenue and EDITDA growth has continued, and our performance on BDUK remains strong. We’re making progress but we’ve still much more to do on improving our service to our customers.

As usual, I’ll review our performance using the cornerstones of our Openreach plan on a page; customers, people, network, stakeholders and shareholders.

Our customers – 'Trusted to deliver'
We’ve received positive feedback from the CPs over the recent period on how we restored service quickly for people affected by the floods, and in particular how well we communicated with them. On New Sites, the number of customers waiting over 30 days for service has reduced by 79% - a remarkable change from a year ago. Service Delivery has delivered more than ever before, but with the storms also giving us a record fault intake, getting through the workstack remains a challenge. We did miss our RFT target, and moving into Q4 we must bring our lead times back under control, particularly in Ethernet. Our customer complaint volumes remain down year on year, but December weather has meant we’ve seen volumes increase into the New Year. There’s clearly more to do, but there’s a lot to be proud of this quarter. Thank you for your contribution to serving our customers.

Our people – 'Inspired, engaged and valued'Over the last quarter our monthly Heartbeat survey tells us that our people continue to feel the impact of pressure and change. On the positive, more people have said recently that things are changing for the better. You’re telling us you know why change has to happen, but the amount and speed of change is challenging. We also need to get the balance right on measuring productivity and quality to ensure that you feel trusted to put customers first.
For the third quarter this year, we have zero reported public affecting low wire or D pole incidents. Our focus on safety and wellbeing remains high, and we’re continuing to invest in tools and equipment. We have around 23,000 iPhones in use today, and will have around 25,000 by the end of the year. Enhancements in middleware should also help our engineers to do their job better. 

Our network – 'Nationwide, reliable and fast'
Our trial of ultrafast fibre broadband powered by G.fast technology is going from strength to strength with close to 5,000 homes able to get speeds of 300/Mb/second. Trials continue on the next generation of FTTP and Fibre on Demand, and our Digital Voice trial will start in Q4.  Three great examples of how we’re leading the way on network innovation. We’re very close to our target of 99% NGA capacity availability, and have saved almost 90,000 visits this year through FVR, showing our commitment to invest in proactive network maintenance.

Our stakeholders – 'Welcomed in the community'
We’re ahead of target on volunteering participation which is up 97% year on year. Our broadband footprint continues to grow with over 24m homes passed on fibre, and nearly 4m of those in partnership with BDUK. We really are making a difference to Britain, so thank you to everyone who has helped to achieve this. We’re expecting to hear the outcome of Ofcom’s Strategic Review of Digital Communications very soon, and will give you more information about that when we have it.

Our shareholders – 'Competitive and investable'Despite the impact of regulation on our prices, we have now delivered three consecutive quarters of revenue and profit growth. In Q3 we delivered growth of 3% revenue and 4% EBITDA (our chosen measure of profit) mainly helped by the record net fibre additions and higher Ethernet volumes. We have invested 7% more, by the way of capital expenditure, mainly reducing the number of customers waiting for New Sites and Ethernet connections which in turn will generate more profits for the future.

Today I formally hand the baton to Clive, who I believe will be an excellent leader of Openreach. He is one of Britain’s leading telecommunications experts, but also has many years of hands on experience at BT. As we sit in the middle of the tremendous shift from voice to data, telephone to internet and copper to fibre, the demands and expectations on Openreach are significant. Over the last couple of years, we have made significant progress in reshaping Openreach around these challenges. While I cannot promise that these pressures will ease under Clive’s tenure, I am confident that Openreach goes into them better prepared than ever before, and in Clive has a leader who will be able to chart the right course into the future.

Thank you all for helping to build Britain’s connected future.
Joe
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 06:07:57 PM by burakkucat »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Statement by the Outgoing CEO of Openreach
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 06:01:23 PM »

A few more facts from our out-going CEO. ^^^^^  :) :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 06:08:56 PM »

Factual statements are always welcome.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 06:37:54 PM »

Thanks for posting this.

Out of interest, could you say what the Digital Voice trial is and what FVR stands for?

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 06:53:50 PM »

Fault Volume Reduction

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 07:31:02 PM »

D pole incident?

Digital voice looks interesting. I assume it will fit alongside SOGEA, and will come to represent a gradual shift away from the world of PCM encoded speech, System X and AXE-10.

The 99% NGA capacity target also sounds interesting. I am torn as to whether this is a target for bandwidth capacity on the fibre links back to the head-end, or whether it is a target for in-time upgrades of linecard capacity and tie-pair capacity, to ensure ordering is always possible.

I'm intrigued as to whether the 5,000 homes are really all capable of getting 300 Mbps speeds in the G.Fast trials, or whether it really means that 5,000 homes could order some sort of service from the 300-Mbps-capable G.Fast trials. Subtle difference ... but I assume the latter. I'm sure they wouldn't learn much if they didn't investigate the drop-off in speed.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 07:46:23 PM »

I'll also add that while I naturally look for the technology impacts in such announcements, the human impact isn't overlooked in these reports.

We should perhaps remember that, while the Ofcom decision on splitting is just another excuse for a slanging match for some, it represents career, livelihood and family to many others.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 08:24:43 PM »

I'll also add that while I naturally look for the technology impacts in such announcements, the human impact isn't overlooked in these reports.

We should perhaps remember that, while the Ofcom decision on splitting is just another excuse for a slanging match for some, it represents career, livelihood and family to many others.

Thank you for mentioning that, W3 ........ whilst I don't suppose 'we' are ready for the violin player just yet, it could have implications for the staff. Unwanted implications probably.  :-\

Regarding the D-Pole you highlighted .......... keep an eye out the next time you are walking past telegraph poles. You may notice certain coloured 'Markers' nailed to them indicating their ability to be manually climbed by an engineer, as opposed to having to request a cherry-picker to perform the work.

The 'D' mentioned here refers to the fact the poles are 'Dangerous' ....... not that they are likely to pull a knife out and mug you, more that they have been found to have rot and should not be climbed.  :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 09:07:54 PM by Black Sheep »