Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Nit picking grumble  (Read 17465 times)

WWWombat

• Kitizen
Re: Nit picking grumble
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2016, 01:28:11 PM »

Right. In the old style, a quote with a link would just be bold/blue, while an unlinked quote would be titled in bold/black. Very little visible difference.

And, yes, the nested quotes, with underlines, and bordered boxes, does look messy. I can imagine a horrible page!

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2016, 01:48:03 PM »

Having learnt from @jelv, here's a possible fix to the side-effect:
Code: [Select]
.quoteheader a {
text-decoration: none;
}

In chrome, I tried doing the "inspect" from the context menu (right-click with the mouse over the text you want to look at). That showed the style for "post" being put in place.

When I insert the above code into "index.css" straight underneath the equivalent changes for .post and .personalmessage, I can see that the extra bit of styling (for ".quoteheader a") takes precedence over the styling for ".post a".

Result: You lose the underlining for quotation headers.
Side-Effect: You also lose the underlining that would apply when hovering.

I guess there is probably something else I could do to remove the side-effect!

While writing this answer, I noticed that you get underlining for the "code" box too. I bet there is a similar fix for that too.

CSS. Don't you just love it? It seems designed for people who love unintended consequences!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2016, 02:32:23 PM »

Thank you wombat

I'd just made a post here which looked awful because of the quote underlines.

Ive just implemented your suggested fix which certainly looks a lot better.

Side-Effect: You also lose the underlining that would apply when hovering.

So you do :/
I'll have a look into that.

I noticed that you get underlining for the "code" box too. I bet there is a similar fix for that too.
eke yes, that needs adjusting too.   done.

CSS. Don't you just love it? It seems designed for people who love unintended consequences!

Its certainly turning out to be the case.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2016, 03:31:11 PM »

I was looking for the way to get the "underline on hover" feature back, if desired, and have found that you need to add a section with ":hover" *after* the main section that sets the underline to off.

And while writing this post, I discovered that the "small" repeats of recent posts (that appears underneath the reply when typing) no longer have a class of "post", but have a class of "list_posts". Links weren't being underlined there, but this change turns those on as well.

I've also combined sections, so it doesn't look too repetitive.

/* Underline post, list_posts and personal message links */
.post a, .list_posts a, .personalmessage a {
    text-decoration: underline;
}

/* Remove underline from quotes in posts, but put it back when hovering */
.quoteheader a, .codeheader a {
text-decoration: none;
}
.quoteheader a:hover, .codeheader a:hover {
text-decoration: underline;
}

That's the how. Whether or not you want to change it is up to you...

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2016, 06:01:00 PM »

Would it be possible to change CSS so that visited links are a different colour please as tends to be set elsewhere?

I see the core style has both set the same:

a:link, a:visited
{
color:#000080;

Also has someone upset the editor recently, it does really strange things at time. For a start it inserts an extra line feed after each para, go and edit the post and then you can remove them... I have left them in here.

It also keeps inserting font size changes when none have been requested, especially when cutting an pasting within the text while editing...

It also keeps inserting font size changes when none have been requested, especially when cutting an pasting within the text while editing... Also has someone upset the editor recently, it does really strange things at time. For a start it inserts an extra line feed after each para, go and edit the post and then you can remove them... I have left them in here.

As has happened above!

Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2016, 08:13:20 PM »

Thanks again wombat - done.

I see the core style has both set the same:
a:link, a:visited

If I added a different colour for a:visited in there that too would cascade across the whole forum, which wouldnt look good on the Index and subject pages.  There are plenty of links that you may never use, say for eg you many have looked at my profile in the past and that text would be in a different colour than someones profile that you havent visited.

I could perhaps add it to the amendments so far, but tbh Im not even sure it would look right as theres plenty of links that are never clicked.   I know it on normal webpages some authors do put different colour visited links.  However I am mindful that when I redid the front index page on the main website last year that the two different colours doesnt alway sit right especially when I was pulling the forum 'news' posts so the new css is different frrom the old style where I used to use dark and light grey.

Underlined links do seem to be a bit old fashioned now and the usual style is to put the link in a different colour.   I conceded to Jims request just so that things were perhaps more visible.   Admittedly I didnt search 100's of forums, but most fora tend not to use underlining.   Ive also had a look and even the Plusnet forum which does still have underlined links doesnt have different coloured v links.    TBB, ISPr etc all use non underlined links and same colour a & v links.

My fear is that the more you tweak the more cluttered it gets and as weve already seen, changing one thing seems to affect something else unexpected. :(

Also has someone upset the editor recently,

Nope Ive not changed or touched anything to do with the wysiwyg editor.  Unfortunately it is generally accepted as broken, particularly with the line spacing.
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=380639.20

It is supposedly going to be fixed in 2.1, but that is still in beta and not recommended for live sites.
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=540977.0

Another reason Im wary of tweaking the core files too much is that I had a heck of a time when upgrading to 2.0.x and lots of things no longer worked purely because I'd edited the core files.  :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2016, 09:44:00 PM »

If I added a different colour for a:visited in there that too would cascade across the whole forum, which wouldnt look good on the Index and subject pages.  There are plenty of links that you may never use, say for eg you many have looked at my profile in the past and that text would be in a different colour than someones profile that you havent visited.
Ok, not to worry (but what you describe is what I'd expect) although a monotone mid-grey would probably work with blue...
Nope Ive not changed or touched anything to do with the wysiwyg editor.  Unfortunately it is generally accepted as broken, particularly with the line spacing.
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=380639.20
That explains it and why I've only noticed it recently  :o 

I moved from FireFox (no problem) to Chrome (borked) after FF kept freezing up the machine. So thanks.
Tony
My Books!

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2016, 11:32:17 AM »

Is there any way of when posting an url with the Insert Hyperlink button that it gives the option to add words too?

I know on some forums it asks me for some words then asks for me to insert the url and it then posts the words that you can click on. If you want the words to match the url then I'd just type (or paste) the url in to the words bit as well as the url section.

I used Jelv's post to help me edit my last new url. I was about to post that I couldn't do it then realised I'd missed an ] off lol.. smh.. the days of coding when the program doesn't work and it takes all day to see you missed one letter, number or symbol  ;D
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2016, 01:33:36 PM »

If you click the hyperlink button

It will insert the following code
[url][/url]
What I do is add the url like this
[url=http://www.kitz.co.uk/][/url]
then I add the text I want to display
[url=http://www.kitz.co.uk/]Click here[/url]
Result
Click here

-----

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2016, 03:53:24 PM »

If you click the hyperlink button

It will insert the following code

What I do is add the url like this

then I add the text I want to display
[url=http://www.kitz.co.uk/]Click here[/url]
Result
Click here

I *think* the point is that it doesn't necessarily do that - it puts up a popup asking for the URL if the device supports it (like here). There is no bbcode shown. If you select your text first then it will show that text as a link when you finish.

[size=78%]Edit:[/size]
Unless you flip the A icon at the right when you will get the code it seems...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 03:59:28 PM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2016, 04:25:25 PM »

I *think* the point is that it doesn't necessarily do that - it puts up a popup asking for the URL if the device supports it (like here). There is no bbcode shown.

Ahh I see what you mean now.   I dont use the WYSIWYG editor, so yep therefore if you want to edit the url then you would have to toggle between views to edit the BBcode.     

tbh I dont even always use the buttons.   I find it quicker to type things like  [b], [quote] or [img] etc
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2016, 04:41:45 PM »

tbh I dont even always use the buttons.   I find it quicker to type things like  [b], [quote] or [img] etc

That is also my mode of operation. With paws on the keyboard, it is more efficient to type [tt]blah, blah[/tt] than to stop using the keyboard, move the mouse pointer, left-click on the appropriate icon, etc.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2016, 05:09:47 PM »

I too prefer the efficiency of the keyboard over mouse. That goes for command lines as well as editors.

On the other hand, I started out with 'ed' as my editor, and it is hard to think of anything more inefficient!

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2016, 05:21:11 PM »

That is also my mode of operation. With paws on the keyboard, it is more efficient to type [tt]blah, blah[/tt] than to stop using the keyboard, move the mouse pointer, left-click on the appropriate icon, etc.

Can I just confirm, you are a human not a cat, right?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2016, 05:25:25 PM »

Can I just confirm, you are a human not a cat, right?

That is for me to know and you to ponder!  :P
 :b*cat:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

anything