Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Nit picking grumble  (Read 17446 times)

Oldjim

• Reg Member
Nit picking grumble
« on: February 01, 2016, 11:49:23 AM »

Could you consider a slight mod to the software to make links more obvious - use of bold and/or underline perhaps
This is what triggered it http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,16838.msg310684.html#msg310684
and this is an example linky
Jim
Plusnet

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Nit picking grumble
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 12:01:01 PM »

I had to look twice at that post to see the link - underline would be more appropriate.

I sometimes add the underline myself - your example linky

(and how often do you need to be reminded that nit-picking is hyphenated?)
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 12:20:50 PM »

(and how often do you need to be reminded that nit-picking is hyphenated?)
As a proof reader myself, I think you''ll find it's one word, no space, no hyphenation....

OED

Definition of nitpicking in English:
noun

nitpicking

[MASS NOUN] informal
Fussy or pedantic fault-finding:
nitpicking over tiny details
[AS MODIFIER]: a nitpicking legalistic exercise
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 12:37:34 PM »

It is hyphenated in the Pocket Oxford Dictionary beside my desk. Also in the OED I have.
But these things evolve and change over time; language is not static.  ;)

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 12:39:10 PM »

It is hyphenated in the Pocket Oxford Dictionary beside my desk. Also in the OED I have.
Okay, must be correct then.
Tony
My Books!

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 12:40:45 PM »

Maybe both are allowed now, but it seems that it is definitely not two words.  ;)

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 12:55:07 PM »

Maybe both are allowed now, but it seems that it is definitely not two words.  ;)
Yes, both is a possibility. Just dug out my ancient First Edition OED from 1976 and that has it hyphenated.  I've always understood (maybe wrongly) that it was one word since I started proof reading back in the early 80s and when writing technical manuals for a certain well known telecommunications company - although they probably did not contain that word.  Odd thing is that the current online OED I quoted says no hyphen without showing any alternative.

Anyway, certainly no space we agree.
Tony
My Books!

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 01:00:34 PM »

The OED I referred to is not new, dated 1995.

It was in use until very recently (not by me) to assist with the correct drafting of Civil Service documents including letters to/from ministers and MP's but mostly UK primary legislation!

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 01:50:16 PM »

Could you consider a slight mod to the software to make links more obvious - use of bold and/or underline perhaps
This is what triggered it http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,16838.msg310684.html#msg310684
and this is an example linky

On the OP, I agree. I've now started to add bold to most links I include.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 02:01:47 PM »

I've posted many urls and the default setting is to print out the entire url. The person posting 1 word links are obviously modifying it. I do know how to do this in html. But when I post links on here I know from personal experience that clicking blind links isn't a good thing. If everyone printed the whole url then there wouldnt be an issue.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 02:41:13 PM »

Example of how to put text in to a link:

[url=http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,16838.msg310684.html#msg310684][u]linky[/u][/url]

gives

linky

Do you not hover the mouse over the link to see where it goes on all web pages before clicking if you are not sure?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Oldjim

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 02:48:58 PM »

right at the bottom of the window - I hadn't spotted that before - much quicker than my usual method
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 02:51:05 PM by Oldjim »
Jim
Plusnet

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 03:49:52 PM »

I've posted many urls and the default setting is to print out the entire url. The person posting 1 word links are obviously modifying it. I do know how to do this in html. But when I post links on here I know from personal experience that clicking blind links isn't a good thing. If everyone printed the whole url then there wouldnt be an issue.
If I understand you correctly then it is a facility already present within the editor window. You just highlight your one word and then click the Globe icon in the editor window (second row above text editor frame, second icon) and then paste in the URL to the resulting popup to create the link....
Tony
My Books!

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 04:04:29 PM »

I must admit hat I usually post links as a word or perhaps a short phrase rather than a whole url as I find the complete url often stops the flow of the comments being posted, however I do agree that it is not always obvious on here (some other fora do it differently) and think that an underline as well as a change of colour would help quite a lot. As others have mentioned it is possible to check the url before clicking by looking elsewhere on the screen while hovering with the mouse. I dont always check the url though if it is from one of our usual contributors then I do trust it without checking.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 08:21:45 PM »

If I understand you correctly then it is a facility already present within the editor window. You just highlight your one word and then click the Globe icon in the editor window (second row above text editor frame, second icon) and then paste in the URL to the resulting popup to create the link....

Whenever I press the globe icon it just inserts the URL tags and I don't get the pop up, any idea's why as it's a pain when on the phone or tablet?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

anything