Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best Router For Line Stats/Monitoring Software  (Read 6834 times)

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
Best Router For Line Stats/Monitoring Software
« on: January 31, 2016, 03:38:46 PM »

Hello everyone,

So, after getting in to this forum over the past few days, I see a lot of people are not using their ISP provided router. So, I was just wondering what would be the best router both for line stats and is also compatible with a routerstats program?

Many thanks!

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Best Router For Line Stats/Monitoring Software
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 04:34:50 PM »

the cheapest modem would be the second hand HG612 3B for gathering line stats look on ebay but don't purchase one at a ridiculous price less than £38 is ok.

the second modem to gather stats is the Billion 8800nl all in one modem and wireless router without 5GHZ this you can find on amazon for no less than £65 new.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 04:40:01 PM »

Hi, what are the benefit of the Billion 8800 over the 7800N and 7800DXL?

Tony S

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 04:44:47 PM »

The 8800NL is a VDSL2 modem/router, the others you mention are ADSL only.
  Eric

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 04:53:51 PM »

the cheapest modem would be the second hand HG612 3B for gathering line stats look on ebay but don't purchase one at a ridiculous price less than £38 is ok.

the second modem to gather stats is the Billion 8800nl all in one modem and wireless router without 5GHZ this you can find on amazon for no less than £65 new.

Yes, I would prefer an "all-in-one" router without the seperate modem. I did have a look at the Billion 8800nl and it did look very good so I'm thinking about it it's just that I got the BT Home Hub 5 free with the BT Infinity 1 package so it would be a possible waste maybe?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 05:04:46 PM »

Yes, I would prefer an "all-in-one" router without the seperate modem. I did have a look at the Billion 8800nl and it did look very good so I'm thinking about it it's just that I got the BT Home Hub 5 free with the BT Infinity 1 package so it would be a possible waste maybe?

Well if you did go with the Billion 8800NL it can be set in a bridge mode the billion being the modem and the HH5A as the router and same with the HG612 3B modem and the HH5A as router

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 05:19:12 PM »

Interesting. I was really only looking for one router but I understand what you're saying. Would anybody agree that the Billion 8800nl is the best way to go?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 06:35:39 PM by William Grimsley »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 06:31:15 PM »

I used an 8800NL for some time, and I was very satisfied with it. On my connection, the HG612 gives slightly better performance, but the difference was small, and everyone's connection is different anyway.

For monitoring you can use either HG612_Modem_Stats or DSLstats (or both).
  Eric

pooclah

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 06:32:35 PM »

I can’t speak for the 8000nl as I’ve never used one, but any Broadcom based modem will do what you want providing it isn’t locked down with an ISP’s firmware.

If you’re on a Huawei cabinet then I would recommend a Broadcom based modem anyway to get G.Inp (if needed) and the 8000nl should suit all your needs.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 06:35:06 PM »

I can’t speak for the 8000nl as I’ve never used one, but any Broadcom based modem will do what you want providing it isn’t locked down with an ISP’s firmware.

If you’re on a Huawei cabinet then I would recommend a Broadcom based modem anyway to get G.Inp (if needed) and the 8000nl should suit all your needs.

Yes, I'm on a Huawei cabinet and have a BT Home Hub 5 (Type B) which supports G.INP. But, yes it only lists noise margin and data rates which really isn't enough. Thanks everyone for your comments, I'll have a think about it and soon I may have the Billion 8800nl.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 07:45:36 PM »

Also depends upon your requirements.   What wireless speed and are GbE ports essential.  If so look at the 880AXL
I got a VMG8324 because I wanted GbE for backups to the NAS,   theres also a  VMG8924 version which is wireless AC.
The only thing the Zyxels can be hard to get hold of.   KC.com and eclipse have historically been the cheapest to purchase them from.

Obviously it all depends on your budget too.
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 10:51:09 PM »

That's a good point. Unfortunately the 8800AXL has been discontinued, and its replacement is the 8900 series (available soon).
https://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/products/25011-billion-bipac-8900x-r2/
  Eric

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2016, 11:15:45 PM »

But has the 8900 series got the same telnet as the 8800LN which works well with DSLstats and HG612_modem_stats even though it has been upgraded sometimes they mess about with new firmware and then find you have no access to telnet  :(

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 09:58:29 AM »

Can I just confirm, does the Billion 8800nl have a VDSL modem inside it?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 10:08:19 AM »

Can I just confirm, does the Billion 8800nl have a VDSL modem inside it?

Yes, it's an all-in-one modem/router.  http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/products/18474-billion-bipac-8800nl/
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2

anything