Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Parcel Quiz  (Read 10653 times)

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
Re: Parcel Quiz
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2016, 08:11:52 PM »

No one is even slightly close, except that it is something I could use in a shed (but then I think that covers very many things) and this particular item is not going to go into my shed.

And yes, the cabinet handle is very much a red herring. 

A webcam?   :-\
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2016, 08:18:14 PM »

A sealed lead-acid battery?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2016, 08:37:13 PM »

A sealed lead-acid battery?  :-\

Curiously, for the last few days I've had a small SLA battery in my shed, I was given a rechargeable hand-held vacuum cleaner to look at, and the battery is dead/wont charge at all when the cleaner is plugged into the mains.  I am intending to try to charge it when I discover the best way, and/or to buy a replacement if it proves to be the cause of the vacuum no longer working.

However, that's not what's in my parcel.

Ian

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2016, 08:41:33 PM »

No one is even slightly close, except that it is something I could use in a shed (but then I think that covers very many things) and this particular item is not going to go into my shed.

And yes, the cabinet handle is very much a red herring. 

A webcam?   :-\

Nope, though good guess.

I did once buy a webcam from China, in fact it was the first one I used on my Gardencam.  It claimed 4 or 6 or 8 megapixels (I forget now) but in reality was something like 100,000 pixels!  Awful quality, and had some illumination LEDs around it that you couldn't switch off (and which I desoldered).

The main reason I'd chosen it (apart from price) was that the focus was manual, you screwed the lens in and out, which I thought rather useful for a garden webcam.

Anyway, no, it's not a webcam in my parcel.

Ian

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2016, 08:42:07 PM »

I'm wondering how long to wait before I reveal what it is  ;D

Ian

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2016, 08:45:35 PM »

A Huawei EchoLife Home Gateway, perhaps?  :-\

Already have one, and it's not that in my parcel, but I like your guess.  In a VERY wide way, it's the closest so far.  But still very very wide.

Ian

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2016, 09:49:12 PM »

Is it something that Senior Management would allow you to have in the house?  :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2016, 11:03:16 PM »

Is it a powered device?
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2016, 11:04:45 PM »

It is very acceptable to have one of these in the house (and many houses now have them) and yes, it is a powered device!

Ian

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2016, 09:54:56 AM »

Hi

I confirmed this morning the translation to English and it translate to English as cabinet handle in silver or platinum

Is it a solar powered weather station

Many thanks

John

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2016, 08:52:27 PM »

Hi

I confirmed this morning the translation to English and it translate to English as cabinet handle in silver or platinum

Is it a solar powered weather station

Many thanks

John

I hadn't tried translating the Chinese characters on the parcel!  (But then I know what was in it). 

I've used Google Translate on my phone a couple of times, to translate Chinese text on an instruction leaflet into English - I heartily recommend it if anyone has something that isn't copy-and-pastable into Google - just snap an image of the text you want to translate using your phone, and the Google Translate app will tell you what it says.

It's not a solar powered weather station, but I would rather like such a thing - especially if it interfaced with a Raspberry Pi to draw me graphs of rainfall and the like.

Ian

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2016, 09:18:33 PM »

Hi

I never thought of google translate sorry. I have oriental friends I asked

Is it a solar powered device

If so, solar powered light

That's it for me, as it could be anything without knowing any hints of what it is

Many thanks

John

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2016, 10:03:42 PM »

Hi

I never thought of google translate sorry. I have oriental friends I asked

Is it a solar powered device

If so, solar powered light

That's it for me, as it could be anything without knowing any hints of what it is

Many thanks

John

I admire your resourcefulness!

Nope, sorry it's not a solar powered light, nor indeed solar powered anything.

However

Since you're the first to mention light and since, in theory, it could be solar powered, I shall award you the prize of being closest  :D

It was in fact a mains voltage LED lamp, the type which appears to have a filament, but in fact it's a narrow string of LEDs.  The light output from these can be very good.

I've got it to try out, as I keep being asked replace lamps in a flame-effect electric fire, which only seem to last for a few months.  I've tried filament incandescent and halogen capsule energy saving (slightly) lamps, but they just don't last.  I can't fit lamps that have electronics in their base (eg compact fluorescents or some LED lamps) as the clearance is really tight.  Even some standard candle lamps with a filament won't fit as the glass is a little too wide at the base.

So I thought I'd try this lamp out.

The whole point of my original post wasn't so much to make it an impossible quiz, but my amusement at paying for an LED lamp from China, and receiving it in a package that stated it was a gift and that it was a cabinet handle.

The only part that was accurate was the count of parts, which is 1 lamp, not 1 cabinet handle.

Congrats for your solar light guess  :thumbs:

Ian

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2016, 11:07:10 PM »

Is the product CE marked?

Just wondering if the spurious description might be deliberately contrived, to discourage examination by the UK Import authorities that might take place if the label had read 'consumer electrical goods'. :-\

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2016, 11:35:38 PM »

Hi Ian

Many thanks, but I have not deserved the prize sorry, but thank you

We bought an antique lamp in the late 70's early 80's which had been converted to electric, with a small lamp similar but with 2 plates which appears to arch. Sorry I don't know the name of those bulbs but thery were relaxing to look at

I didn't think of ce mark, but more over evading hmrc fees but it could be entirely innocent

Glad to know what it was, I'm sure I would not have got it, but the 4candles may have been closer

Many thanks

John
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything