Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Should Orange/Vodafone etc. allow move from contract to PAYG and retain number?  (Read 11663 times)

setecio

• Reg Member

Should Orange/Vodafone etc allow people to move from contract to PAYG and retain their mobile number or are they within their rights to say no ?

I know a way around it is to move network and then move back again, but if Orange has a better deal on PAYG than contract, can customers 'demand their right' to move, or are Orange perfectly entitled to say we can't move you from contact to PAYG and retain the number ?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats

I'm sure there's no law which says that they have to do it, so the literal answer to your question is that they are within their rights. Whether they should do it is a matter of customer relations.
  Eric

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen

I don't normally disagree with your answers, Eric, but I have a niggling feeling that Ofcom (presumably) did change the "rules" to allow people to retain phone numbers including land-line area codes. I may be wrong though, so don't take this as gospel!

Edit: Ooops, just re-read the original question in the light of later answers. Now I absolutely agree with Eric. :-[
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 12:34:09 PM by Astral »

soms

• Reg Member

I know that you can get a PAC code to have your number moved between the different mobile networks, bu when it comes down to moving from contract to PAYG with the same operator I would think that it is down to the company.

The best bet would be to contact customer services and ask them. If you are cancelling a contract you may well have to pay a fee but otherwise I see no reason why they would be difficult about it, afterall your still be their customer just spending less I expect.

I think mobile tarriffs are a nightmare to tell apart and often the packages change so a new customer on PAYG now may pay different fees to an existing customer. Just this week I picked up an extra Orange SIM card on a free offer and the tariff is 15p/minute to any network and if you top up enough each month you get so many free texts which is completely different to my existing PAYG plan.

setecio

• Reg Member

Yes indeed, thinkning about it, not to allow it is just bad customer relations as the law does cover transfering to another company.

Yes the Orange PAYG seems a good one @15ppm, and any month you top up by £10 you get 300 texts free the next month (which could be said to be £30 worth of texts) .

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen

Tesco mobile is pretty good.500texts or 150minutes free when you top up £15 a month.Half price texts 5p and half price calls 10ppm to your 3 favourite numbers.

http://direct.tesco.com/buyersguide/mobile%20network.aspx

jack8

I moved once and it was a work up , that was contract to contract, I just can't be asked to do it again
1664 The Best Year Ever

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.

T Mobile supposedly do a good deal Top-up on Friday and get free text's all week-end.
(or something similar to that)

Sorry it's a bit vague, but not really into mobiles, even though I have two of them, I'm doing extreeeemly well if I put £10 in in six months.

The second phone is for the free sim cards that usually come with £5 credit pre-installed usually from Virgin Media.