Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Response from Openreach CEO to Shapps report  (Read 22628 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Response from our CEO
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 01:58:53 AM »

Sharon White has hinted already at big changes for BT but to what end? How does she propose to magically produce a better broadband network for everyone? If there was an obvious answer or white knight we would all be singing from the same hymn sheet.

There are without doubt some changes needing to be made, that we all agree on.   
Far better actually making those improvements rather than be sidetracked by something which IMHO would only make things more complicated. 
The debate re splitting off Openreach has been done to death. 
Whatever is going to happen will no doubt have already been mostly decided by OFCOM and we will just have to wait see what they announce. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2016, 03:03:56 AM »

This is addressed to OR employees from Joe Garner.

... Gavin has also conducted a number of interviews, to set the record straight and to reiterate that Openreach is far better being part of the BT Group. ...

Here's one from Radio 4(23/1/16), starts at 1:33:00 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06y8l7r

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2016, 11:24:20 AM »

Hmm, I'm sure I read somewhere that the Ofcom report was coming at the end of February?

Shapps is a very odd character:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant_Shapps#Public_behaviour

His use of the pen names Michael Green and Sebastian Fox attracted controversy in 2012. Shapps denied having used the pseudonym after entering Parliament and, in 2014, threatened legal action against a constituent who had stated on Facebook that he had. In February 2015 he told LBC Radio presenter Shelagh Fogarty, "Let me get this absolutely clear...I don't have a second job and have never had a second job while being an MP. End of story."

In March 2015 Shapps admitted to having had a second job whilst being an MP and practising business under a pseudonym. In his admission he stated that he had 'over-firmly denied' having a second job.

The nature of Green's web marketing business was also criticised in the media. The 20/20 Challenge publication cost $497 and promised customers earnings of $20,000 in 20 days. Upon purchase, the "toolkit" was revealed to be an ebook, advising the user to create their own toolkit and recruit 100 "Joint Venture Partners" to resell it for a share of the profits.

I thought I'd quote directly from wiki as apparently he likes editing his page.

There is no doubt about it that Shapps is a slippery person. But these types of people can't operate like that without the approval of someone else. I would suggest that his intervention is on behalf of another company looking to buy Openreach, and he is 'encouraging' the debate in the splitting of Openreach with his report. I do wonder if the person or group he's working on behalf of are the ones in Ofcom's ear also.

We all have frustrations with the current setup with BT / OR. But as I've said consistantly that to solve a lot of frustration would be more public knowledge of it. In any troubles its always better to have a better grip on the facts to act like a comfort. I think BT and OR's only 'crime' is not being as open as they could be to the public. Hopefully with the new CEO's moving in to position this will change. The fact the CEO as responded in good time to this report shows that BT might be aware of this incoming challenge and are stepping things up.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2016, 11:39:39 AM »

I don't see a problem having Openreach set up like National Rail is.

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2016, 11:55:42 AM »

Hmm, I'm sure I read somewhere that the Ofcom report was coming at the end of February?

I'm wondering whether Shapps actually already has a rough idea of Ofcom's conclusions because he's been very vocal attacking BT and he's going to look a bit silly and impotent if he basically gets ignored.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Response from Openreach CEO to Shapps report
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2016, 01:34:59 PM »

Ok, I found where I saw the February story at;

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/01/08/bt_openreach_spin_off_decision_delayed_ofcom/

BT and Openreach: Splitsville or not? We'll not find out till Feb – at the earliest

I also found this page that covers a few topics between BT, Sky and Ofcom.

http://www.itpro.co.uk/broadband/24991/bt-boss-hits-out-at-openreach-selloff-suggestions

Gavin Patterson admits company needs to do more, but says a split will create uncertainty

BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2016, 05:15:08 PM »

I too seemed to recall the mention of Feb so thanks Bowden for finding that link.    As mentioned in my post last night, I believe [guess] that OFCOM probably already do have a good idea what they are going to recommend and its down to a final tweak stage. It could go either way.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2016, 06:17:32 PM »

Adding 2 + 2 together to make 5 :)

I would expect that OFCOM have decided to go with the 'Split' option and Shapps has been given 'early notice' via the usual 'leaky' means.
I too would believe that he is fronting for someone who has an interest in Openreach.

Not long now and it will all become clear :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2016, 06:34:50 PM »

Just playing 'Devils advocate', whilst I'm waiting for my tea to cook ....... even if a 'Split from BT' decision is made, I'm sure I've read somewhere that BT could drag the whole separating affair out for eons, via their Lawyers ??

No idea where I've seen, heard or read this ...... but I know I have  ::) :) :)

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2016, 06:50:02 PM »

BS,
Getting the lawyers involved for the next n years is a forgone conclusion as it is business as usual for these sorts of events when the decision is not agreed with or wanted.
Some Law Practice will be earning a new Ferrari, this year, for each of the senior partners ..... again. :)

Not jealous at all, I have all the Ferraris I need  ::)  :D ....... (Yeah, of course  ;) )

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2016, 07:06:30 PM »

Ha ha ........ thank you for the feedback Big A ....... I've a couple of spare Ferrari's if you're desperate pal.  ;) ;D ;D

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2016, 08:02:41 PM »

I will keep your kind offer in mind. Just saving the coppers for the Insurance ..... any decade now!!

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2016, 09:24:01 PM »

If it does go the way of a split and goes to legal arguments things are going to get a lot, lot worse for a couple of years. Why would BT invest any more money in OR knowing they will be forced to sell it off and won't reap the profits? FTTC and FTTP rollout will probably only continue on BDUK funded exchanges.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2016, 09:36:36 PM »

Yup ...... what's that old saying ............... 'Be very careful what you wish for ......'

adrianw

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2016, 11:09:45 PM »

If it does go the way of a split and goes to legal arguments things are going to get a lot, lot worse for a couple of years. Why would BT invest any more money in OR knowing they will be forced to sell it off and won't reap the profits? FTTC and FTTP rollout will probably only continue on BDUK funded exchanges.
Plus, what will happen to BT FTTC / FTTP research and trials? g.fast and vectoring progress could suffer.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8