Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: OR Fibre Engineers at my DP pole  (Read 10414 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: OR Fibre Engineers at my DP pole
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2016, 05:04:47 PM »

Although I did spend a number of minutes working through the raw data (that is used to create a Hlog plot) only to discover that there was no minima to find!

not sure which minimum is missing  :help:

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2016, 05:29:30 PM »

The ones that were showing in your erroneous Hlog plot on MDWS, to which I uttered a "Yuck!"  ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2016, 05:51:37 PM »

The ones that were showing in your erroneous Hlog plot on MDWS, to which I uttered a "Yuck!"  ::)

That LOS also generated a load of SES at the time. Good news is that SES graphs are now finally available (after Errored Seconds in the drop down list as Severely ES, and wide graphs only). They work just like the ES ones with some limitations. Took some time as the data MDWS needs is not uploaded directly so had to create a new database table and load backdata. It goes back about 2 months at the moment.

There are some limitations that I will explain in an MDWS update post tomorrow. The Status bar above the graphs now shows this as an entry but as they can represent a major problem, the data display is an SES total over the past 5 mins rather then the current minute so as to attract attention. Also coloured to make it more obvious (yellow < 10 and reddish at 10+).

Newt's example attached.

NB You may need to F5 (or whatever) the main page to get the checkbox auto update to work
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 02:15:09 PM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2016, 06:25:23 PM »

I am 100% sure now when Openreach was testing the line at the joint somehow the effected customer line stats got crossed over onto my line for few minute or so.

with all the stats during monday I can say the customer under investigation had a bridge tap
and the DS sync was 12931 kbps US 4666 kbps
attenuation of 32.6dB
and alot of errored seconds

again this is only my best guess what has happened here.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2016, 12:39:42 AM »

It is such a pity now knowing there is a joint that is badly corroded and oprenreach has not made any effort to remedy the issue which effects all customers who are using this DP pole it would seem they don't repair the joint for all customers in one go.

Yes they will fix the pair at the joint for that one premises who have called in a fault on their circuit and thats it, so only another 13 premises to go = 13 hours of work and replacing the whole joint would have taken 4 hours max  :(

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2016, 07:37:49 AM »

NS ............ I covered this .......... casting aspersions is the job of a few others on here, please don't take the same road bud ??  ;) :) :)

We don't know what has happened regarding the underground joint, as yet.

The corrosion may be that bad due to water ingress that the underground box needs digging out to get more purchase on the cable, or a new length may be required, or the engineer may have picked the task up to work on today but something serious could have happened to him or someone he knows, or he may have 'retained' the job to work on tomorrow as he's on 'Leave' today, or Field Dynamics may have diverted the local workforce due to a plethora of reasons, or the joint may be a 50pr or over in which case we only 'Clear' the pair of wires reported faulty and let our SSR lads know, so they can return to finish the complete joint off .............
I keep saying it, unless you're 'In the job' with BTOR ...... what you see is probably 1/10th of what you know is going on.   

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2016, 08:28:23 AM »

Yeah like the time around 2010 my pole DP joint at the top failed which feeds 4 houses.
It was next door neighbour's line is one which fails.
So they repair it - promise to totally re-do it with a new DP and tail up from the joint box sometime later and disappear.
Nowt happens.

Skip forward 6 months and it fails again
This time it is mine
So they repair mine and in the process break another one.
3 days later they turn up and repair that one
....and break mine again
3 days later they are back again to repair mine all over again
Finally everyone's now works.....for a bit
We are promised a total re-do....again.
Nowt happens

Skip forwards a few months.....yeah you can guess
My next door neighbour's line fails - again: they have the worst pair of the few remaining functional ones.
By time time the line is so bad that BT finally HAVE to fix it
So they do it the next Saturday  - on overtime of course now that it is "urgent" would you believe it!
Since then it has all worked perfectly.

Can't blame the BTOR operatives for their attempts at repair or for correctly describing the whole thing as totally kackered.
It will be someone in a back office somewhere making a strategic decision that this promised 're-do' was not necessary and the repair would last.  The excuse we were given was that the request for a total re-do was sent to the wrong dept.
And it is this sort of thing that gets BT its bad reputation.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2016, 08:29:00 AM »

Somewhat OT, but NS's reactions seem very similar to what I see with many works and systems I have gained insight to via friends etc in those industries.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2016, 11:53:38 AM »

Of course, everyone's got a story ...... I've got my very own ....... but to factually clarify one point, "So they do it the next Saturday  - on overtime of course now that it is "urgent" would you believe it!" ....... we work Saturdays as part of our 'Rostered week' with the aim being to have enough boots on the floor to cover the workstacks.

Of course, OR are to blame for the weather as well  ::)  ;), so we will usually have a few engineers in on OT to cover the slack. At this particular time with the adverse weather in various UK locations, the powers that be have invoked 'Contractual OT', whereby you have to actually do a day or two's OT, whether you want to or not. It is the last resort the company take, to be fair, but it gives you an idea of the huge stacks we are facing.

Back to NS's issue .............. nobody on this forum, not NS himself, knows what is happening regarding the corroded joint ?? It may have been repaired, it might not ?? I would humbly suggest NS raise his own fault and then there will be a factual audit trail of what is happening ??. Anything else is guesswork and encourages tales of woe.
Pages: 1 2 [3]