Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: OR Fibre Engineers at my DP pole  (Read 10412 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
OR Fibre Engineers at my DP pole
« on: January 25, 2016, 05:32:36 PM »

Just drove into cul de sac at 5pm 2 OR vans park beside the distribution pole one engineer was hammer the bottom half of pole and clearing hedge debris decided to be nosey and asked what's wrong he said a customer is having problems with their broadband and we have been able to trace the fault to the joint which is badly corroded.

He said the whole joint is corroded and could effect all the premises on are DP pole he said all the lines where taken offline for a sort time I joked with him my line has be up for near 90 days and he said not any-more  :D

They will fix the joint box tomorrow and will have another outage so will they fix all the corroded joins for this area or just for that one household/customer ?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 05:35:33 PM by NewtronStar »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: OR Fibre Engineers at my DP pole
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 05:46:05 PM »

Just to clarify ..... you say they were Fibre Engineers ?? ........ it sounds to me like they were working on a metallic joint if corrosion is to blame ?? :)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 05:46:52 PM »

Not being a BT engineer but a corroded joint sounds like a copper fault to me.

Fixing it would help everyone on the DP pole who uses that joint.

I seriously doubt they are going to fix other joints in the area unless their tests identified them as having a problem which affect customers. I imagine their main aim will be to clear the reported fault asap.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 06:14:15 PM »

Just to clarify ..... you say they were Fibre Engineers ?? ........ it sounds to me like they were working on a metallic joint if corrosion is to blame ?? :)

That is what it says on the vans Fibre Openreach

Not being a BT engineer but a corroded joint sounds like a copper fault to me.

Fixing it would help everyone on the DP pole who uses that joint.

That is the answer I was hoping to get and don't know the workings inside these underground joints.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 06:34:28 PM »

That is what it says on the vans Fibre Openreach

I suspect that is just an advertisement!  ;) 

From your description of what they were doing, I would expect them just to be network (telephony) technicians. If you are really lucky, their remedial work may also remove that latent HR fault in your circuit.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 06:50:25 PM »

Yup, most new vans will have Fibre Broadband or something similar splashed across it.

This is an example of how a lack of knowledge can usually get the trolls out of their beds and posting with glee. Not in any way levelled at you Newt, not at all, just making the point how most of the time, things aren't what they seem unless you 'are in the game' and understand what is actually happening.

Like the cat, I truly believe your HR will be amongst the other corroded pairs and a better service will be gained.  :) :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 07:04:52 PM »

If you are really lucky, their remedial work may also remove that latent HR fault in your circuit.  :)

That is something me and the engineer talked about to-day HR faults he did say it should show up as noise on the phone but can't here any on this DECT phone

It will be nice to see any positives once the rusted joint is repaired  :fingers:

just making the point how most of the time, things aren't what they seem unless you 'are in the game' and understand what is actually happening.

;D I understand BS and I am glad to have made the move to talk to the OR Engineer we had a good laugh and he really enjoys his job  :thumbs: 

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 07:23:18 PM »

Phew  :'(, thanks NS, I was slightly worried my point wouldn't come across as well as it did in my head  ::) ;D ;D.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 08:04:58 PM »

During the OR testing from which I guess is from the joint my re-sync log on MDWS shows two syncs the 1st is a 1 RDI (Remote Defect Indicator/DLM) at 16:07 the DS and US sync don't match the sync for this line and then 2nd re-sync comes in as 4 MIS (Misdetection) which is I guess is the DLM fixing the misdectection.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 09:35:25 PM »

It might be worthwhile powering off the modem, tomorrow, before any further work is done.  :-\

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 10:54:53 PM »

It might be worthwhile powering off the modem, tomorrow, before any further work is done.  :-\

I just don't know BC I'll miss the real-time changes on this circuit while they configure the joint but I'll not see anything whilst the circuit is down and also is it not better to sync 1st before the possible crosstalk disturbers comes online yes i'll take some sync from the disturber with a hit to my SNRM.

But I'll have some control come the evening 18:58 to re-sync modem HG612 to gain some SNRM an lose some DS sync  :-\

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 11:01:53 PM »

Yes, I understand. You are the best person to decide exactly how to operate your circuit.  :)

We all will be interested to know the eventual outcome.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 12:26:14 AM »

Yes, I understand. You are the best person to decide exactly how to operate your circuit.  :)

We all will be interested to know the eventual outcome.

It is only with those stats programs I am able to understand my circuit which has a variable DS SNRM people like to sync when the DS SNRM is at it highest point to receive the max sync rate yes that will work if your SNRM is constant 24/7 but not for me I have to sync when the SNRM is getting close to the lowest point to stay close to 6.0dB over 24 hours.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 08:38:48 PM »

No re-sync to-day I guess that is what is called as a OR no show but there was gales and very wet conditions, anyway a next day visit to fix the joint seemed rather quick to me.

Unless they fixed the corroded joint yesterday on just one pair for that customer and has left the other pairs to continue to corrod until their service becomes unusable  :-\

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 09:06:32 PM »

HI NS,

If you get a chance to complain about substandard performance I suggest you do so.
Whether the OR engineers are allowed to put two & two together might be another matter !

Kind regards,
Walter
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything