Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Windows 10 changes the NTFS file system  (Read 5283 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Windows 10 changes the NTFS file system
« on: January 24, 2016, 04:37:57 PM »

Elsewhere I found out that Microsoft has changed their NTFS: it changed from LFS (Log File Service) 1.0 to LFS 2.0, which to Linux is an „unknown filesystem“. As far as I understand it, once you have made the Windows 10 update, you can not revert to LFS 1.0. This will and already has caused some issues to some Linux users with dual booting. They find that the Linux partitioner and some installers hang if you have this type of W10 NTFS partition, at least this appears to be true in OpenSUSE, as yet I'm not sure if others are affected.

Just another thing Microsoft is doing which makes life difficult....

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: Windows 10 changes the NTFS file system
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 05:48:01 PM »

LFS 2.0 was introduced 3 years ago in Windows 8.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 06:08:15 PM »

Things evolve and move on, Linux just needs to catch up.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 07:24:35 PM »

I dont disagree however it does seem strange that this has only been detected recently on W10, one would have expected it to happen before if it had been used and I suspect it had not until now with W10. I'm positive Linux will catch up but it only needs to recognise it for dual booting as no one in their right mind would use NTFS of any flavour for a Linux system, there are much superior file systems available for that  ;) It is important sto know so people recognise it.

Stuart

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 08:30:30 PM »

This article is interesting: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/15645.windows-8-volume-compatibility-considerations-with-prior-versions-of-windows.aspx
As it points out, in Windows 8 there were changes made to allow a level of backwards-compatibility by "reverting" the log file version back from 2.0 to 1.1, but that required a full shutdown.
I think a further problem with Windows 10 is (apart from now being quite widespread vs W8) that it tends to use the hybrid boot options more.

I don't actually use dual-boot on any of my W10 systems (I used to with XP, Vista and W7) but I do force a full shutdown as I do not really trust these fast-start hybrid options. Over the years I have seen many problems, especially on laptops, caused by sleep/hibernation used over extended periods.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 01:05:38 AM »

My parted magic boot image can read the windows 10 filesystem.

Its probably just old distro's that dont have the needed kernel modules.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 08:34:48 AM »

Since I saw this elsewhere (and it was a new Linux OS not an old one) there has been more discussion. It is not absolutely clear at the moment exactly why this happens at least on some machines and I'm following it for now to keep an eye on it to see how it resolves finally. I do know that Linux cannot mount Windows partitions if the Windows OS has not shutdown but is running the normal type of W8 shutdown so it quick-starts. Anyway I await further updates on the original report.

Stuart

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 09:32:42 AM »

I do know that Linux cannot mount Windows partitions if the Windows OS has not shutdown but is running the normal type of W8 shutdown so it quick-starts.

If that's the same as Windows 10, the normal shutdown doesn't shut down but hibernates.

Does "shutdown /s" from the command prompt force a proper shutdown?

Edit: Just tried it and it looks like it does.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 09:36:54 AM by jelv »
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 09:45:02 AM »

I do know that Linux cannot mount Windows partitions if the Windows OS has not shutdown but is running the normal type of W8 shutdown so it quick-starts.

If that's the same as Windows 10, the normal shutdown doesn't shut down but hibernates.

Edit: Just tried it and it looks like it does.

Yes at least in W8.1 it did.

I dont have any Windows partitions now on my PCs which need dual booting. On the rare occasion I need a Windows system I boot W7 under VirtualBox in Linux but even those times are very few now. I do have an old XP install on one hdd but I've not booted it for ages now and will probably delete it soon and re-use the space for something useful  ;)

Stuart

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 10:00:41 AM »

You can change the shutdown method in the control panel (power) to always do a full shutdown.
The terminology and exact sub-location are different between 8, 8.1 and 10 (and I think Pro and Home) but pretty easy to find.
I've done that on all my W10 systems, even the laptop.

One problem is that major (version) updates seem to reset some of these settings to default without telling you, naughty MS!  :o

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 02:15:59 PM »

which is why i am upgrading to 8.1 instead of 10, also Microsoft have only patched some uac exploits in 10 only not honouring their support contracts on 8 and 7 will post link later when on pc