Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Frequent disconnects - Suspect low SNR and possible Impulse Noise?  (Read 1867 times)

camphillrnr

• Just arrived

Hello all,

Thanks for any advice. I've had intermittent ADSL2+ dropouts a lot since moving to my new home. I've experienced the same issues with both the SKY Hub and with a new TP-LINK Archer D9 which I hoped may have been more stable. Below are the rates as they are right now on my TP-LINK:

Current Rate (Kbps)
Upstream 1321
Downstream 20691

Max Rate (Kbps)
Upstream 1222
Downstream 21602

SNR Margin (dB)
Upstream 5.6
Downstream 3.1

Line Attenuation (dB)
Upsteam 11.3
Downstream 20

I find it odd that the max rate upstream is lower than the current rate upstream?

Anything can make the internet go down it seems. Two nights ago it didn't go down at all. Then last night it went down quite a few times. This very second my girlfriend went out of the room (that the router is in) and it went down.

We've had bad storms today and it's been up and down a lot, I wondered if that was relevant.

The line is quite long from the back of the house to the front so I can imagine that it may be the cause of the issues. I prefer the router where it is however so would like to know if I can negate any noise myself. I have noticed a similar effect when using the test socket.

I have a filtered faceplate on the NTE5 and no telephone connected at all.

If it does turn out that it's just the extension that we have that's causing the issues, would using a twisted pair in it's place be a good idea to avoid the noise? That 3dB noise margin coupled with what I've read about it seems to suggest that it's too close to the edge and if I sneeze it has nowhere to go.

At the moment, i'm leaving it and seeing if SKY's DLM will take action tonight.

Many thanks in advance!

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: Frequent disconnects - Suspect low SNR and possible Impulse Noise?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 07:17:47 PM »

If you don't have a telephone at all, do you really need a filtered faceplate? How is the extension connected?

You could plug the Sky hub into the master socket and run an ethernet connection to the TPLINK and use that as a wireless access point instead of having a phone extension.

camphillrnr

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 07:50:06 PM »

Thanks. It's an Nte2005 I believe. It's there just so the extension can be hard wired to its A and B terminals and pass the unfiltered signal to the tplink in the other room.

It is true that the sky hub when connected at the nte5 was quite stable. Unfortunately it's an awful location.

Because sky don't provide a bridge mode I'm really reluctant to use it. I had it configured to set the tplink as the dmz. Just wished I could use the tplink in the other room as an all in one.

I don't know much about double NAT but I'd rather have the tplink do it all. I could run cat5 and that's what I would try but hiding it will be a challenge.

I'd really appreciate if anyone can read my stats and make sense of them. Tell me if they shoe a line which could be touchy.... I understand when it works I get good speeds. 18mbps download. It's just unstable as heck.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 07:59:46 PM »

The TPLINK is quite happy to be configured as a wireless access point and it uses one of the LAN ports as the WAN port. The Sky hub would handle the DCHP so there would be no double-NAT to cause problems.

I didn't think there would be a problem with the ethernet cable as you mentioned replacing the telephone extension with a twisted pair. This would allow you to keep the TPLINK where it is now.