Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Low Tech Internet  (Read 1091 times)

JGO

• Reg Member

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Low Tech Internet
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 03:41:40 PM »

An interesting article. It shows what can be done when all the options are on the table. Some of the comments in the article also apply to rich countries too, not just poor ones. Like the US's phone networks are very patchy. There are many places in the US were your mobile/cell phone gets no signal. This is a normal thing for them.

Also in the US mainly Google is building a fibre optic network in big cities and have now started expanding in to the small towns (I'm using City, Town and Village to seperate the population size).

This report shows that Internet connectivity can be made even in the less population dense areas. I do hope BT consider these smaller technologies in the future. I mean, we're only a small island, we should be at near 100% coverage.

Interestingly Obama made a speech about ISP's holding technology back. Since then a number of the big ISP's have all started building there own fibre networks.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

JGO

• Reg Member
Re: Low Tech Internet
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 09:18:45 AM »

Incidentally this answers a query in another thread about the max range of Wi-Fi. However before anyone gets too enthusiastic remember that the range it can cause interference is considerably greater ! 

anything