Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: OS X native VNC client  (Read 6846 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
OS X native VNC client
« on: January 23, 2016, 10:29:19 AM »

My home network includes a Linux (Centos) server.  The server is headless, so any GUI-based maintenance is carried out via VNC.  From a Mac, I always thought that meant 3rd part software for a VNC client.  There's a few available, been using them a few years, but none that I liked that  much.  And now I  just discovered - OS X has its own built in VNC client...

From finder, pull down 'connect to server', and specify it as something like:  vnc://servername:5901 , modified for your 'servername' and port number, of course.  Following password requirements up pops OS X screen sharing with, in my case, the Centos GUI desktop in all its glory. Same can be done from Safari, just type the vnc:// address into the bar.

Apol's if I am the only person to whom this is news.  Things that are obvious to other people are not always obvious to me.   :blush:

vic0239

• Reg Member
Re: OS X native VNC client
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 11:29:55 AM »

Wow, many thanks for that! :thumbs: I had no idea either, usually relying on Chicken of the VNC. Great tip.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 11:58:04 AM »

Issue https://support.realvnc.com/knowledgebase/article/View/407/2/cannot-connect-to-vnc-server-using-built-in-viewer-on-mac-os-x

On Mac OS X 10.6 and later when using the built-in VNC Viewer you may receive a "Connection failed to your-server-ip" or similar error. This is because the Mac OS X viewer uses an older version of the RFB protocol than more recent versions of VNC Server.

Status

To resolve this issue, go to VNC Server > More > Options > Expert tab > ProtocolVersion and change the value to 3.8.  3.8 has been found to work with Mac OS X 10.6.8 but earlier versions may require a lower version of the RFB protocol.

In addition please ensure that:

- Your VNC Server is set to use "VNC Password" as its authentication method.
- Your VNC Server is not enforcing encryption.

As the built-in VNC Viewer application in OS X is not compatible with these features.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 12:19:47 PM »

That's useful to know. Using mainly to my Pi running tightvnc and Mac is connecting with version 3.8.

Xvnc version TightVNC-1.3.9
Protocol versions supported: 3.3, 3.7, 3.8, 3.7t, 3.8t
Got connection from client 192.168.0.65
Using protocol version 3.8
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 07:45:39 AM »

> Things that are obvious to other people are not always obvious to me.   :blush:

The story of the my life in recent years.

Kitizens, I would be really grateful if people would remember this when talking with me.

petef

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 10:58:56 PM »

I did know that Mac has a built in VNC client but that had failed to connect to my CentOS 6 VNC servers. The server protocol setting tip would solve that, thanks for the information.

However I generally have half a dozen VNC servers on the go at any one time and do not want the faff of setting them for occasional access from my Mac when most of the time I use Linux clients, or sometimes Windows. The TigerVNC viewer on Mac is perfectly adequate for my needs.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 11:33:03 PM »

My own CentOS 7 server runs tigervnc

OS X Yosemite connected 'out of the box', no special settings required.   :-\

Just tried an El Capitan system, that also just works.    ???

Not an actual expert in VNC, but happy to gather and submit any evidence that shines light on all of this.    :)

anything