Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ADSL Speed increaser by BT  (Read 4875 times)

jaydog

• Reg Member
ADSL Speed increaser by BT
« on: March 19, 2008, 07:31:16 PM »

MikeS

Re: ADSL Speed increaser by BT
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 08:04:47 PM »

The Interstitial  plate, guess this is the what is being talked about in Broadband hardware

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 09:39:27 PM »

Thanks for the link jaydog - interesting. :)

linky if anyone couldnt get the original to work

The Interstitial  plate, guess this is the what is being talked about in Broadband hardware

Yep it is -  the easy way to do "the ring-wire trick".

Discussion on the I Plate

“We've seen huge increases in speed. On average, it makes one and a half megs of difference.”

I just hope that everyone doesnt think that its going to be able to increase their speeds by 1.5Mbps.
Dont get me wrong - Im not dissing it - I think its a brilliant idea and well done to BT for recognising there are many problems related to the ring-wire.

However Im unsure about marketing it like that, because theres other areas where the fault may lay, and even with the ringwire isolated theres no guarantee that it will be the fix.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 09:43:28 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 10:27:43 PM »

all i did was pull the wire out, cut most of it off, and tucked it under. thats right aint it?

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 12:32:50 PM »

Pulling the wire/s out of termination no.3 is ok (then compaire router stats before and after to confirm this has made a difference or cured a problem)

Cutting it back, err not a good idea. you might want to reuse this wire to either get the bell wire working again, a 2nd line running on the same cable, or as a tempory fix if one or both of the 2 & 5 wires goes faulty. Just tuck it back, although avoid coiling it, may look neat, but this can sometimes cause problems.

Remember without a microfilter in a socket then any equipment reliant on the bell wire will not ring on an incomming call on any extentions (only some, but by no means all moderm apperatus are able to ring without the bell wire) Also if you find (or someone who's moved into your old property) your phone dosn't work then a BT engineer comes out and "Here's the problem this wires disconnected" "Doh" particualy as this would be a chargeable visit.

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 12:18:28 AM »

BT has demonstrated how a faulty lamp reduced a 3.8Mbps line to 700Kbps but when the iPlate was plugged in, the signal speed returned to normal. It’s been on trial with 1,000 customers and BT is very happy with the feedback.

Cutting the ring wire doesnt do that...

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 12:43:02 AM »

>> Cutting the ring wire doesnt do that...

If you have a read of the other thread I linked to above, you will see we were discussing the i-filter in there. 
Hmmm  has actually kindly provided some photos of it.

That example will have been an extreme for testing purposes to show the effect of how a ringwire could act as an antenna and pick up additional noise.  By either isolating or disconnecting the ring wire you stop it from picking up the noise.

The aim of the i-filter is to simply isolate the ring wire to make it easier for home use rather than having to cut wires etc.  To quote soms post in the other thread

if you have removed the ring wire it holds no advantages.

-----

Hence my comment above - I hope they dont market it like that because a load of customers are going to think its going to be a miracle worker.  I see some people posted at the end of the article already think it will be. :/

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 04:26:01 PM »

We need to keep this in perspective. In the vast majority of cases the bell wire and/or the other extention wires will make no difference to your broadband performance.

Of the odd situations where there is a problem, a reasonable proportion of these are caused by part of the extention wiring and half of these is due to the bell wire.

When a BT engineer arrives at a premises on a fault the first thing is to test the line both with and without the extention wiring (if any) connected (hence the removable face plate on an nte5 so the end user can try this themselfs and potentialy avoid a call out charge)

With broadband; if there is a difference in performance then the next stage is disconnect the bell wire (No.3) and retest with the extentions connected. if the result is good then either leave the bell wire disconnected or if avalable fit a new face plate with a suppressor.
If the result is still poor then the full adsl-ssfp will sort the problem (it also sorts the bell wire issue if there is one)

When people state disconnecting the bell wire makes no difference, most cases thats true and thas their experience. But for anyone else it's always an easy thing to try just in case.

Tis is some thing which affects SOME set-ups..........

Also you may not have any issues with the internal wiring now, but there's always the potential of something croping up which this wiring will pick up in future. for this reason the new nte5's with the openreach logo come with a bell wire choke as standard, and we also carry additional retrofit plates to go on an existing nte5 which can be identified by a slight off white dust flap on the front