Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Sync drop after 9 months unaffected usage  (Read 5799 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Sync drop after 9 months unaffected usage
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2016, 09:45:36 PM »

It is kind of strange seeing my QLN at full flow expecially in the D2 tones 1216,1961 as that was taken close to 3 months ago at 18:28 since last re-sync of HG612 modem.

I do get a better QLN graphs if say I re-sync the modem during the day as the RFI noise is lower and this shows very clearly with a higher SNR margin but as soon as the evening time approaches the QLN spikes will increase and the SNR marigin will decrease.

Though the changes of SNRM during the transit from day to evening is small say 1.0 - 1.4dB the Attainable rate changes from 35000 kbps to 32000 kbps during that 24 hour period.

So if I re-sync the modem during the daytime I'll gain 1500 - 3000 kbps in sync but will lose more SNR margin during the evening it's all a fine balance for me  ;)

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2016, 10:42:00 PM »

I used to have a very small fluctuation of around 0,1-0,2 between daytime and night. Then one day when I got up it had dropped 1dB. I really need to be looking into all this more as even what you guys are speaking about is getting a little confusing. It could be the beers taking its toll and the acronyms for stuff.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2016, 10:45:58 PM »

I've also noticed that I am now getting 8 times the amount of FEC's recorded. I gather this is G.Inp doing its job?

Yes, sort of, but the terminology needs cleaning up.

DLM has a number of tools in its chest when deciding how to intervene to reduce errors, and the introduction of G.INP introduces a new one - more properly known as retransmission.

When we talk of G.INP being active, DLM will have actually turned on 3 of its tools - retransmission,  FEC error correction and interleaving. The latter two are the same as used in the old-style intervention, but when used alongside retransmission, they aren't used anywhere near as harshly. Interleaving, for example, only causes 0.2ms of delay instead of the previous 8 or 16ms.

DLM wants all 3 components working together.

When you see FEC errors (aka RSCorr) accumulate, you are really seeing errors corrected by the FEC portion of the toolbox (FEC successes?), but they have not yet caused a retransmission. It is where you see see FEC failures (aka RSUnCorr) that things progress into retransmission - which is what we really mean by "G.INP".

To see how many retransmissions have happened, you have to look at the rtx-tx graph, showing the number of retransmissions actually sent. If the retransmission process works, you'll find that the rtx-c graph (this one shows the number of retransmissions that are received correctly) matches. If, however, some retransmissions of retransmissions are needed, then the rtx-tx graph will be bigger than the rtx-c one.

Finally, if things get so bad that a succession of retransmissions of retransmissions all fail, the rtx-uc graph starts to accumulate. Things will be getting bad if this happens much.

To summarise: now you are seeing FEC errors accumulate, you are seeing DLM's error-correction toolbox being called into action. Not quite retransmission, but part of the complete picture of how DLM wants to use G.INP's retransmission.

This post has the potential to be confusing too. I hope not, though. Maybe more beer, not less  :drink: :drink: :drink:

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2016, 10:51:44 PM »

Thanks for the explanation!
I think I may have grasped half of it or possibly the first sentence. I think, I'll maybe have to re-read a few things but all information is welcome. Seriously though, It does make more sense now after your explanation Wombat. Thanks!
At one point I understood a lot about ADSL and its functionality but VDSL seems a whole new kettle of fish.

Pages: 1 [2]

anything