Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Routers providing DSL stats via SNMP  (Read 3497 times)

aesmith

• Kitizen
Routers providing DSL stats via SNMP
« on: January 21, 2016, 06:58:06 PM »

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone uses SNMP successfully to pull DSL stats from their routers.  A few consumer type routers claim to support SNMP, but it's hard to find details of what MIBs are supported.  For example Billion seems pretty much undocumented, I tried a post on their forum without any response. 

Thanks in advance, Tony S

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: Routers providing DSL stats via SNMP
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 07:09:42 PM »

Aren't there tools to allow MIB discovery? http://www.solarwinds.com/engineers-toolset/mib-walk.aspx

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 07:25:01 PM »

There are indeed, and they can be effective in mapping out which of the standard MIBs are supported.   Not so helpful if the data you're looking for is accessed via an enterprise MIB as then all you see is OID and value, leaving you to guess what that variable means.   Also I'd need to buy the router before trying this, which wouldn't be too clever if it turned out not to do what I wanted.

Tony S

currytop

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 07:58:55 PM »

There's a 7800N DIB around somewhere if you look. I seem to remember using Perl to fetch stats via SNMP on a 7800N. Maybe the other Billion routers support a similar DIB?

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 12:14:39 PM »

Reply from Billion.  Only Speed,  Attenuation, Noise Margin and Uptime are available via SNMP, so pretty much useless.   (Actually they said SNR, but I assume that actually mean NM).

G.DMT

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 07:45:40 PM »

Just wondered if anyone uses SNMP successfully to pull DSL stats from their routers.  A few consumer type routers claim to support SNMP, but it's hard to find details of what MIBs are supported.  For example Billion seems pretty much undocumented, I tried a post on their forum without any response. 

Hi Tony

Yeah, I was totally underwhelmed with the SNMP on my Billion 7800 when I actually got my hands on it. :-(
Next to Useless.
Worse than useless really -  If I hadn't seen it on the technical specs I wouldn't have got my hopes up!

Fortunately if you have some cli skills you can get at all of the data the chipset collects - which is a lot  :)

TIMTOWTDI
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There's_more_than_one_way_to_do_it

Traditional UNIX style text filter tools did it for me .
expect  then  regex with awk/egrep/pcregrep etc works for me. :-)

plink + perl is multiplatform if you need that, and  ssh+telnet works too.

If that reply made sense to you, you probably don't need any help! ;)

... and if it didn't it probably would not be much help to you for me to say that I had some bash scripts that I wrote to interrogate my 7800N and parse out the raw stats data.

PM me if you would like me to dig them out for you.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 07:49:20 PM by G.DMT »

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 07:51:30 PM »

Cheers.  The reason I wanted SNMP was so I could use tools which run as a service, rather than user programs.  In fact I could run the monitoring from work keeping it completely independent of the home PC.   PRTG supports some custom scripts, but that would mean opening telnet to the outside world, unless it could be done via ssh.

Regarding the Billion SNMP support, the relevant mib that they support is VDSL-LINE-MIB (rather than ADSL as I'd have expected), and even more annoyingly the router returns values for all the parameters - it's just that most of them are returned as zeros.   I find that really annoying, they've stuck in the SNMP code to support the correct MIB, but can't be bothered to return the correct answers, even though the data is available.

G.DMT

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 09:12:27 PM »

Cheers.  The reason I wanted SNMP was so I could use tools which run as a service, rather than user programs.  In fact I could run the monitoring from work keeping it completely independent of the home PC.   , but that would mean opening telnet to the outside world, unless it could be done via ssh.

I used cron to convert  'user space  tools' into a service. ;-)
cron -> script -> data.file
and a php script to export data as an actual http service
client <- http <- php <- data.file

But that was just a hacky workaround I came up with, because the SNMP was useless, but the CLI was featureful.

My open port/firewall/telnet/subnet issues were easily circumvented with an Openssh tunnel.

In the end the ease of just using openssh to handle authentication, encryption, tunneling and proxying was the clincher for me and why I plumped for ssh+expect instead of using the ( less featureful but ) more windows friendly plink, which for my use case required Linux at both ends.
For me that is a feature, not a bug.  :)

Regarding the Billion SNMP support, the relevant mib that they support is VDSL-LINE-MIB (rather than ADSL as I'd have expected), and even more annoyingly the router returns values for all the parameters - it's just that most of them are returned as zeros.   I find that really annoying, they've stuck in the SNMP code to support the correct MIB, but can't be bothered to return the correct answers, even though the data is available.
Indeed. Implementing stuff, but NOT implementing it fully/properly, is just a slap in the face to the customer who later tries to use it. grrr.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 09:29:42 PM by G.DMT »

anything