Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Current views on a move to Plusnet  (Read 14776 times)

aesmith

• Kitizen
Re: Current views on a move to Plusnet
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2016, 09:28:36 AM »

.. and you would see a 2-3mbps drop in throughput if you get a 80mbps sync  due to their secondary IP profile ..
To be fair on Plusnet that's required for their traffic prioritisation to work.  Without knowing whether there shaping parameters exactly match BTW's I can't calculate whether they could achieve this with a lesser difference, but almost by definition their profile needs to be less than BTs.

By they way, how does LLU work for FTTC - LLU equipment in the cabinet?

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2016, 12:47:41 PM »

There were a couple of threads, first one, second one, measuring the difference with the Plusnet current line speed on lower ADSL2 speeds. All sorts of explanations were offered by Plusnet, all of which were, in my opinion, contradicted by the test results. It really feels like they've somehow miscalculated the overheads or applied the limit to a different layer that what they calculated it for. It would have been far simpler if they'd just said that they have to take off a little extra.

I think LLU FTTC means the Openreach VDSL2 DSLAMs in the cabinets are connected, by Openreach GEA Cablelink, to LLU backhaul in the exchanges.

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2016, 01:40:30 PM »

That's basically correct each LLU provider has to buy GEA cable links from BT Openreach at the exchanges they wish to do so
So that it links into their LLU kit and thus avoids BTW's Network So no BT IP Profile  hence a higher throughput level

Plusnet uses  only BTW for back haul (no LLU) and even when there profile is set higher than BT's (78mbps) it still reduces throughput, even worse when it auto adjusts BTW IP profile 77.35 PN 77.3 or 77.2

At no point prior to buying are potential customers told about this , infact in their forums their staff even have denied it has such a noticeable effect , now that imo isn't in anyway fair to the customer , If you think about it  how much bandwidth they must save by doing this,

« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 01:50:45 PM by tommy45 »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2016, 04:58:49 PM »

yeah speedyrite I think thats the right choice, I have actually been considering downgrading to 40/10 myself the main thing stopping me is actually the static ip.  My usage pattern would probably be fine on 40/10.

If I ever hit financial issues tho that make me force to drop what I have now with sky I would downgrade over going back to plusnet.  So basically I would rather have 40/10 from sky than 80/20 from plusnet, it will take a while for the plusnet wounds to heal with me.

speedyrite

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2016, 09:33:41 AM »

@Chrysalis Yes, the more I think about it, the more I think it's the right choice too. I never got around to using a static IP (have no need of it really). Was on 40/10 originally with no issues for 2 years, before going 80/20 for coming up two years with £10 off (making it the same price as 40/10) for 22 of those 24 months (by recontracting). As you say, there have been no peering or congestion issues here over the almost 4 years I've been on Sky Fibre. The Sky core network seems to have plenty of capacity. Will call them next week when the current discount ends.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2016, 02:19:23 PM »

do you have TV as well? u did well to get that discount if no tv

speedyrite

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2016, 05:09:37 PM »

do you have TV as well? u did well to get that discount if no tv

We have Sky TV no more (joined May 2002, ditched at the beginning of January), so am already aware that further discounts are unlikely as a result! Expectation is that a downgrade to 40/10 is in the offing. Probably worth it at £20pm for the general robustness & stability of the connection, lack of backhaul congestion (to date) and core network capacity over the past 4 years on FTTC (and nearly 8 years on Sky Broadband).

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2016, 05:18:32 PM »

The big problem for me with Plusnet if I wanted a 40MB product, is their decision to only offer a 2MB upload, not 40/10.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2016, 03:59:59 PM »

they will discount 40/10 without tv but not 80/20 thats why I asked.  So you should still be able to get a deal.

speedyrite

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2016, 04:08:21 PM »

Thanks Chrysalis, that's good to know about!

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2016, 05:14:48 PM »

After some reviewing of forums I think TTB and TT have quite a few congestion issues at the moment and judging by the fact that some on TTB report that they are being allowed to leave contracts for free I guess that TTB don't look set to fix things in the near future. I am seeing one of those congestion issues at the moment and that makes me nervous of TTB resellers.  I was myself advised that a contract departure would be OK which I am sure means things won't be fixed soon for me. However I am out of contract anyway.  Maybe losing those who complain is one way of solving the congestion issue!

My anti Murdoch empire views still put me off Sky and leave me thinking between Zen and its BT backhaul risks on my exchange or Plusnet where I must confess their traffic management (if it works)  seems a possible benefit to users like me.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2016, 05:58:29 AM »

this is the first I heard of regarding ttb congestion.

zen seems to be going downhill, the posts on thinkbroadband are concerning and they not all recent, they seem to have been struggling lately.

So if you want to avoid sky due to personal issues with murdoch then BT retail is what I suggest.  Unless you ok putting trust in plusnet that they about to go through another good spell as they are migrating away from shared BTw.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2016, 07:41:10 AM »

Here is a TTB example with the same characteristics as my line but much worse.  http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4455594-ttb-speed-fluctuations.html?vc=1

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2016, 04:20:01 PM »

ahh, ok thanks, yeah that looks not so good for ttb in the case of that customer, although he has packet loss well into off peak as well so I am not convinced its down to utilisation but it does look the most likely reason.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2016, 04:53:12 PM »

I think my BQM is more like congestion but TTB did advise both him and me that was congestion. Below is a fairly average example on my line.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

anything