Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Advertising of broadband costs to include line rental  (Read 2420 times)

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Advertising of broadband costs to include line rental
« on: January 21, 2016, 08:20:23 AM »

We were having a moan about this the other day - now it looks like from May onwards we may see the genuine costs:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7317-all-inclusive-pricing-on-the-way-after-joint-ofcom-and-asa-study.html

Edit: Also here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35364065
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 08:32:00 AM by jelv »
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Advertising of broadband costs to include line rental
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 01:46:59 PM »

A step in the right direction.   
The cross subsidisation with line rental and only advertising the broadband element cost has been a long term gripe of mine.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 03:06:32 PM »

"TalkTalk absolutely supports the ASA's findings and we've already called on Ofcom to bring in all-in pricing.

Well that's a bit like the pot calling the kettle black.
Or maybe they just mean they will support the idea, but won't start putting it into practice until they actually have to.
I suppose that would be just to much to have asked for.

As a recent convert to TalkTalk I have to say there is nothing more complicated than being told one price, then receiving a welcoming letter showing about 25% more then being told it's because it's their 'Standard Template Letter', so yes, very confusing. However I received my first bill after just 7 days and appreciate it's for advance charges, but still unable to work out the extra £1.40, BTH I already had my fill of the online a phone support, so I'll contribute that £1.40 to future whatevers.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 03:33:14 PM »

Ofcom to bring in all-in pricing

Im a little concerned about that, though cant quite put my finger on why yet.    Especially when you consider it was TT who were the first SP to cross subsidise and offer 'free broadband'.

I think it may be something to do with the fact that now more SPs are encouraging tripleplay - and even quadplay.  Whilst I can see that they are trying to get more customers owning more of their products, and I have no objections say if the customer gets a small discount for the more services they take..   IMHO would it not be fairer to show the unit pricing, then any discounts.

Code: [Select]
eg (made up prices)
Phone £15
Broadband £10
TV £7
Mobile £20

Take 2 products get 50p discount, take 3 products get 75p discount, take 4 products get £1 discount.

We already have SPs who insist that you must take their line rental if you want broadband.   "All-in" pricing could mean a move to less choice for the consumers, especially those that dont want certain services, or may be looking for something outside one of the elements offered in 'all-in'. :hmm:

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 03:53:23 PM »

I'm not sure what is going to happen when you have a variety of options that may, or may not, be added.

However, I'm all for an "all-in-one" price for all the mandatory parts...

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 04:04:16 PM »

I wonder how many people actually split their suppliers and take, broadband, Telephone and/or possibly TV from different suppliers, or has it always just been a way of being able to advertise lower figures to make things look good.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 05:43:03 PM »

Finally the ASA have woken up, shame on ofcom as its the ASA who appears to be taking the lead here.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 08:02:17 PM »

I wonder how many people actually split their suppliers and take, broadband, Telephone and/or possibly TV from different suppliers, or has it always just been a way of being able to advertise lower figures to make things look good.

Probably most dont and go for an all in one solution for ease. 

For years I kept my DSL and phone line separate, but when upgrading to fttc I took the combined PN package as you could save quite a lot on the line rental saver.   I dont think the savings are as substantial this year and I would not be averse to going to somewhere like Pulse if that gave me a saving sufficient to consider swapping.   

I prefer to keep my mobile separate - having been with vodafone* for almost 20yrs I can usually get a decent package by  speaking to retentions.   I certainly wouldnt like to use vodafone for BB & WLR.

TV...  not really much of a TV person.   Did have netflix but I let that lapse last year.   I have replaced Apple TV with a Now box which has 3 months free entertainment package, but that will be cancelled in March and I will just use the free channels.   Plusnet TV is very attractive for the money, but last year was an expensive one and the amount of time I do spend watching tv doesnt justify it.  Most of what I watch is iplayer or 4OD..   I do a lot of iplayer... and about once a month I regret no longer having Neflix.

--------
*Having a god awful time with Vodafone atm.    I agreed to a deal on the phone and now they are billing me full wack and charging me for a handset they promised would be free.   Ive spend hours and hours trying to get it resolved.    No one ever phones you back (7 failed promises),  it can take nearly 2 hours to get to speak to someone.   Their livechat just bare-face lie and say they fixed it when they havent.   Im at the stage where Im about to approach the regulator.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 08:10:30 PM »

This may also serve isp's to push unbundled packages more again as well, as obviously packages that dont require line rental will now look to be the better deal.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 08:16:11 PM »

I replaced my VM TV 'basic package' which was only basic freeview anyway so for me taking TV away from VM was not a problem, plus I also have a Android bos 'M8' if I feel the need.

BUT, as I has said in my amended post with regards to Virgin Media's freebies, http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=15220.new;topicseen#new
Just make sure you make full and proper use of any cancellation period requirements or you may be paying a one month overlap. (as I have)

But now that I have a working BT line, should I want to switch then that will be down to who is giving the better options.
I would have switched a long time ago but didn't want to pay the £150 to have the BT line which was already installed connected.

anything