Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Yet another self-install problem  (Read 17784 times)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Yet another self-install problem
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2016, 06:14:04 PM »

A full modem Retrain Reason 0 reboot zeros most (not all) of the reported stats.

However, a Reason 1 resync (usually DLM initiated) only zeros some of them.

Using my connection as an example, I powered off/on the modem some 43 or so days ago.

The stats obtained at Noon today reported this data:-

Total time = 1 days 11 hours 57 min 52 sec
FEC:      832675      759
CRC:      304      208
ES:      54      202
SES:      4      0
UAS:      21      21
LOS:      0      0
LOF:      0      0
LOM:      0      0

& at the very bottom of the xdslcmd info --stats output this:-

Since Link time = 43 days 11 hours 57 min 29 sec
FEC:      832675      759
CRC:      304      208
ES:      54      202
SES:      4      0
UAS:      0      0

i.e. identical values apart from the UAS value.

Now, the Since Link time data from the stats that Walter had partially posted was:-

Since Link time = 4 days 14 hours 26 min 57 sec
FEC:      4270      499
CRC:      632      85
ES:      521      64
SES:      0      0
UAS:      0      0

Does that help or I have I just added further confusion? :-\ :-\

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2016, 09:27:48 PM »

If I'm offered all the stats, I'll usually use the "since link time" values, being careful because the number of days can hit a cap. That'll give me a long-term average. I'll check the two "24 hour" sets to get a spot picture.

But I'll read the other sets if that's all there is. I just forgot the day count problem.

I've found that most UAS times come while unsynced, so they're less likely to ever appear in the "since link" stats. Similarly LOS and LOF errors are likely to result in a resync, so are unlikely to appear in those stats either.

Its all relatively logical :) No confusion here, no siree ;)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2016, 11:19:06 PM »

Gentlefolk,

Sorry if I confused you with partial data.

Whilst it may be relatively logical, the fact remains that there has been no further speed increases now for many days.
I wonder if we are all being too optimistic knowing the likely line route is around 800 m probably mainly on 40 / 50 year old cables ?

One other point we haven't mentioned is that only the upstream max value changes now whereas the max downstream and the bearer speeds remain constant. E.g. the upstream max has been, starting at midnight and then at 6 hour intervals 7684, 7684, 7847, 7704 Mbps.

Kind regards,
Walter

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2016, 10:12:28 AM »

Whilst it may be relatively logical, the fact remains that there has been no further speed increases now for many days.
I wonder if we are all being too optimistic knowing the likely line route is around 800 m probably mainly on 40 / 50 year old cables ?

DLM doesn't care much about distance or age. It does care about quality ... but DSL is meant to adapt any foibles of distance and age to maintain quality, so DLM only cares about the end result after such adaptations have taken place.

What I have seen of the stats, since the last change, suggests that there is no reason for DLM's concern. But I stress that this is based on a limited view.

Unfortunately, the very hardest aspect to figure out about DLM is in its choice to de-intervene. Especially since the introduction of G.INP, and equally since the legal setback relating to the Assia patent and the subsequent settlement. DLM's behaviour has most certainly changed by much more than just the introduction of G.INP ... but that introduction also makes DLM's other behaviour much rarer. Figuring DLM out now has to work on the slimmest of evidence.

On the matter of age, though...
I have no idea about the age of my current line, but it is fed from an old bell-shaped DP, into a building that is pre-WWI. The age and "gentility" of this area suggests that telephone usage perhaps started early here, and there looks to be significant use of 0.4mm copper. Yet in this environment, with an apparently noisy line, I have had zero errors in the last 3 months.

However, my very first FTTC line, with copper laid in the mid nineties, triggered DLM at the first opportunity, after incurring packet loss of around 4%.

I don't find age to be instantaneous indicator of problems. Not for copper, at any rate.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2016, 01:11:58 PM »

Thanks very much Wombat.

In our area of Surrey we also have to contend with concentric and the more modern 10 pair bundle cables.
I'm unaware of different physical noise propagation problems but it causes all sorts of human difficulties especially as the colours are reversed too.

I wonder if you might look yourself towards Settle and

http://tinyletter.com/Lewfahyperfast/letters/impressive-community-minded-scheme

??

Kind regards,
Walter
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

anything