Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: BeThere - Are they Good?  (Read 11516 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: BeThere - Are they Good?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2008, 02:21:03 AM »

Thanks for that jelv :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2008, 07:26:00 PM »

Thanks everyone.

I have had a look at the link jelv and its looks very good for Windows based systems but i am running some linux machines and some games consoles. I might set up a caching server for DNS on my linux router i am putting together.

James

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2008, 10:38:28 PM »

As an aside I see Irksome is providing some DNS servers FoC :

http://www.beforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=59157#post59157

Worth having a browse around Irksome's forums if you are considering Be as he has a fair idea where some of the skeletons are hidden ;)

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 01:02:58 PM »

Thanks rizla i had a good read of them last night and i will definatly be using his DNS servers.

Drefsab

• ISP Rep
  • Zen - Tech Support
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2008, 04:36:47 PM »

another option could be the www.opendns.org servers, I've been using them as backup servers for quite a while now, very good free service.
Aaron Eldridge
ZeN - Technical Support
-------------------------IMPORTANT---------------------
The opinions expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Zen Internet

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2008, 10:18:26 AM »

Perhaps I don't see as many DNS issues as I have a local caching DNS server (albeit win2003), so perhaps this hides some of the problems from me, I don't know. Or maybe I've just got used to it.

The only thing I don't like is the ping loss from the Be routers, but it doesn't seem to affect too much end-to-end traffic.

Having said that, I'm not a gamer, so I don't really do that much in the way of connectionless / real-time traffic.

All I do know is that my connection in Cleveleys performs at near enough 100% line rate at any time of the day or night, and if any of you Fleetwood peeps do anything to mess that up for me, I'll be coming after ya :P :lol:
Chris

Drefsab

• ISP Rep
  • Zen - Tech Support
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2008, 12:30:48 PM »

Hi Chris, what loss do you see on end to end pings? I'm just wondering because I know someone that is thinking of signing up with them who is a gamer, the odd core router that doesn't respond directly to pings isn't really an issue so long as its routing packets onto the next hop correctly.
Aaron Eldridge
ZeN - Technical Support
The opinions expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Zen Internet

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2008, 01:20:40 PM »

>> what loss do you see on end to end pings?

Didn't say I had loss on end-to-end pings, in fact I actually said that it doesn't seem to affect too much end-to-end traffic. What I meant was it doesn't appear to affect ANY end to end traffic! The core routers often don't respond at all to pings though, or they will do so very slowly, when they're busy.

So I haven't seen any end-to-end loss to write home about, but I'm only using TCP traffic in the main, apart from DNS. Now maybe I'm just lucky, but I'm not seeing the problems that rizla was experiencing on Be - i.e. repeated DNS errors due to the connectionless UDP traffic getting lost.

I can't comment on Be for gaming since I don't play online games. Maybe that's why I've not noticed any problems?
Chris

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2008, 02:49:08 PM »

Just got the MAC codes for two of the lines. I will get the 3rd lines done in another month so my email servers are still working. I really like my current ISP as well. Oh well here goes.

I just setup a Squid/SquidGuard server last night on Debian. I also have my load balancer setup and ready to throw the lines at.

PS** Kitz they are taking orders now, 1 month early!

Note: just undid adblock and noticed a nice bethere advert at the top of your site ;)

Drefsab

• ISP Rep
  • Zen - Tech Support
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2008, 03:36:04 PM »

Thanks chris when you said you didnt see much I took that mean there was some but if your not seeing any then thats fine then :) Id rather him have come to zen but sadly hes likes his online media so uses about 150gig a month so zne isnt really suitable given he doesnt want to pay for the unlimited 8mbit package ;)
Aaron Eldridge
ZeN - Technical Support

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2008, 01:30:52 PM »

>> what loss do you see on end to end pings?
Now maybe I'm just lucky, but I'm not seeing the problems that rizla was experiencing on Be - i.e. repeated DNS errors due to the connectionless UDP traffic getting lost.

Luck has little to do with it I'm afraid. It depends almost entirely on how your backhaul from the exchange to Be is handled. Mine was Level3 and was rubbish. Others in London got perfect routing and much much better peering as their traffic went nowhere near Level3.

This thread on TBB illustrates the issues rather well I think although none of the participants seem to have spotted it :lol:

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=beunlimited&Number=3306702&page=1&view=expanded&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

rogan8's traceroute is pretty similar to what I'd see - basically stuck on Level3 with their routing and peering arrangements and it's entirely due to where you live in the UK. Not considered a problem by Be when I was there and I don't believe anything much has changed. I recollect one time Level3 routed me via San Francisco (or possibly Dallas?) to get to anywhere in Europe. That lasted a week or so.

I'm much happier with UKO :)
Pages: 1 [2]

anything