Computer Software > Linux

Best Way Needed To Change Hard Drive File System.

(1/4) > >>

tickmike:
One computer (The main family one) out five I have made dual boot, Is the one that's been giving me lots of problems with Freezing, crashing, file corruption etc.
The file system on / is 'Linux native' (What is that ? ), It was supposed to be 'jounallised ext3'. (that's what my others are and I have not had any problems with them ).
I have read a lot about 'Reiserfs' and if I'm going to re due my file system I was going to try it.

Being our main computer it's got a lot of important data on it, I could move the /home onto another computer via my wired network or burn it to a disk.
If I do a system and user backup, then change the file system, will it restore ok ?.

What's the best way to get out of this problem.

Edit. I have just found a spare hard drive of the same size, will that be useful  ?.

roseway:
'Linux native' simply means that one of several native Linux filesystems is used, e.g. ext2, ext3, reiserfs, etc. If you look at the KDE Info Centre (you should find it on the menu) in the 'Storage devices' section you'll see the filesystem type shown.

Reiserfs is generally faster than ext3 on a domestic machine, and it's what I normally use. There are some suggestions that it's not entirely reliable, but I think that these accusations are theoretical rather than actual. There's also the small problem that the inventor and chief maintainer (Hans Reiser) is currently in jail awaiting trial for murdering his wife.

To be honest, I don't think your stability problems are anything to do with the filesystem. They sound like a hardware problem, maybe dodgy memory. I don't recall if Memtest86 is offered as a boot menu option by PCLinuxOS, but if it is I suggest that you use it, and run it for several hours. If you've got the necessary bits it might be worth swapping the memory to see if that fixes the problem.

If you've been getting file corruption I don't think it would be sensible to try to save the current installation. I would copy the contents of /home somewhere safe and reinstall the OS from scratch. Afterwards you could copy the data back from the saved /home (or maybe copy back the whole of /home before you start and reinstall over the top to preserve all your data and settings.

guest:

--- Quote from: roseway on March 19, 2008, 12:50:19 PM ---There's also the small problem that the inventor and chief maintainer (Hans Reiser) is currently in jail awaiting trial for murdering his wife.

--- End quote ---

The trial has been ongoing for 5 months or so now - http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/hans_reiser_trial/index.html

tickmike:
Hello.
I had not used the 'KDE Info Centre ' before looks useful.

I have ext2 file system  :'( which is not 'jounallised'.

Re, "There's also the small problem that the inventor and chief maintainer (Hans Reiser) is currently in jail awaiting trial for murdering his wife." I came across that blog when I was looking for info about RFS via 'google'.
I did a 5hr  :( memory test the other night and it passed !.
Re. "If you've been getting file corruption I don't think it would be sensible to try to save the current installation."
that's what I was thinking.

Re."I would copy the contents of /home somewhere safe and reinstall the OS from scratch. Afterwards you could copy the data back from the saved /home (or maybe copy back the whole of /home before you start and reinstall over the top to preserve all your data and settings."

So Do I .
1. save /home to a safe place.
2.put in live cd. and boot.
3. format / & /home.
4. install RFS.
5.put back my 'home' to /home.
6. run the synaptic updates (which I download and save on another computer .)

I do not understand this."or maybe copy back the whole of /home before you start and reinstall over the top to preserve all your data and settings." will it not wipe it out ?.

Will I have to put things like samba, wine, opera etc.etc. programs back. or is there a way to put them all back automatically ?.

roseway:
What I meant was that you could use the live CD to copy back the saved /home to the /home partition after formatting it, and then do the install, making sure that /home isn't marked for reformatting. But your routine is probably less bother, and achieves the same end.

You will have to reinstall any programs which are not part of the PCLinuxOS installation (Samba probably is included, and maybe Wine as well), but all your users' personal settings should be preserved.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version