Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Power Line Adapters  (Read 4440 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Power Line Adapters
« on: January 15, 2016, 11:51:29 PM »

I know it's my fault but just thought I should plug in those DLink Power line adapters to see what the smart TV looks like and the errored seconds start to rise even with G.INP inplace from 0 errored seconds to 63 in just 10 minutes and the SNRM drops into very random dips :o

So if any users with Power Line Adapters see the same then it's time to go back to wireless or ethernet cable  :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 12:28:38 AM by NewtronStar »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Power Line Adapters
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 12:55:25 AM »

"Power Line Adapters" == Evil devices!  :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 01:26:39 AM »

Yes very evil for a broadband ciruit even had a look at the G-Retransmit UnCorr and 192 of them showed up in the 30mins the PLA pairs were connected.

I'll be asking any Kitz forum users in the future if they use PLA's when it comes to broadband issues  ;)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 01:49:09 AM by NewtronStar »

jaggythistle

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 11:35:37 AM »

Interesting, could you explain to a noob why homeplugs would affect line stats? I have a home plug setup for music streaming so keen to know what effect it's having. Thanks.

I'm on the phone atm, so having to "fly-by-tapatalk"

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 12:10:45 PM »

Interesting, could you explain to a noob why homeplugs would affect line stats? I have a home plug setup for music streaming so keen to know what effect it's having. Thanks.

I'm on the phone atm, so having to "fly-by-tapatalk"

The only way to know what effect these powerline adapters are doing to your line stats is have the stats monitoring tools recording whilst using the adapters and then with the adapters disconnected.

On my line the SNRM falls with a increased in error seconds when the adapters are connected, lets see 60 ES/s in 30 mins = 100 in just 1 hour * 24hr = 2400 errored seconds that would cause the DLM to intervene.

jaggythistle

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 05:06:05 PM »

Hmm, test required then.  I'm still not quite getting this though, does this mean network devices other than modem also affect line stats?  Or is it the physical proximity of router and home plug, to modem and line connection?

Posts by phone, typos by small keyboard and a general lack of hand/eye co-ordination

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 05:47:35 PM »

Or is it the physical proximity of router and home plug, to modem and line connection?

Could the interference be coming into the router via home-plug lan cable and passed down the WAN cable to modem or is the modem picking up interference via the mains from its own PSU and passed onto the DC cable.

Or is the home-plug mains interference getting into NTEa somehow, but I have never been able to find out why this happens with my home-plugs.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 06:01:18 PM by NewtronStar »

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 02:53:51 PM »

Could the interference be coming into the router via home-plug lan cable...
That should be an easy test, leave the adapters powered up but disconnect the Ethernet cable from the router, see what that does to your stats.   I've always assumed that the risk was interference injected into the mains cable, and therefore potentially radiating from all of the house wiring, if that was the case then disconnecting the Ethernet wouldn't help.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 09:19:31 PM »

That should be an easy test, leave the adapters powered up but disconnect the Ethernet cable from the router, see what that does to your stats.   

Done this a year ago no effect with lan cable disconnected from adapters.
As soon as I plug one adapter into the mains the stats from the modem start to change negatively and once the 2nd pair is plugged into the mains this inceases two fold.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 11:11:52 PM »

I'm curious, does your phone line have a long run inside the house?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors