Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: EE Acquisition  (Read 17490 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
EE Acquisition
« on: January 15, 2016, 08:49:25 AM »

Another BT milestone: CMA approves EE acquisition

I'm delighted the Competition and Markets Authority has today given unconditional approval for BT's acquisition of EE, having unanimously found there to be no significant lessening of competition.

This is fantastic news and a huge milestone moment for us all. Separately, both companies have achieved great things and together we will be one of the world's leading communications providers.

We now need to start the formal process of completing the deal, which we expect to do by the end of the month. Therefore, the first steps in our plan to incorporate the EE business into the wider BT Group will begin in early February.

At that point, we'll be bringing together two similar cultures of innovation, two businesses of like-minded people. I look forward to us building on the best that both organisations have to offer and creating a future where we can provide customers with truly seamless connectivity; build the fastest, most connected and most reliable network and transform the shape of communications by creating more innovative, converged products and services our customers want.

You’ll see more information over the coming weeks. In the meantime it’s business as usual and we must focus on closing the financial year in a strong position. For now, I want to thank everyone who’s worked so hard to get us to this point. It’s a great achievement, and there are even greater things ahead for all of us – for our shareholders, for us and above all, for our customers.

I look forward to welcoming EE into the BT family.

Gavin

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: EE Acquisition
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 10:24:02 AM »

BT deal to buy German-French mobile venture is cleared

Germany's Deutsche Telekom and France's Orange S.A. say the sale of their mobile joint venture EE to British telecommunications company BT PLC is going ahead.

The two companies said in a joint statement Friday that the British Competition and Markets Authority had granted its final approval to the deal valued at 12.5 billion pounds ($17.95 billion) without conditions.

The deal, which will be closed at the end of the month, will give BT access to EE's 31 million customers.

According to previously announced details of the transaction, Deutsche Telekom will get new shares equal to 12 percent of BT and a small cash payment, while Orange will receive a 4 percent stake and 3.4 billion pounds in cash. Deutsche Telekom will also gain a seat on BT's board.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2016-01-bt-german-french-mobile-venture.html#jCp

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 03:18:08 PM »

Funny I dont see EE and BT as similar cultures and as a EE customer this worries me.

EE lead the way in the UK with their investment in capacity and new technology.
Whilst BT is a company that clings onto older technology for as long as possible to maximise profits for its shareholders, the cultures clash and hence me been worried.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 03:26:56 PM »

We'll have to re-visit this thread in a few months to see if your fears are well founded .................. or not.

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 03:28:21 PM »

I'm not really worried, but disappointed that through no fault of my own my ISP (Plusnet) and mobile provider (EE) will both be part of BT.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 03:31:40 PM »

Ha ha , are you 100% sure it wasn't down to you, Mr Candles ??  ;D

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 05:13:38 PM »

Well, I suppose it's possible I may have said the wrong thing last time I had lunch with Mr Swantee.   :-\
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 06:04:20 PM »

I'm waiting to read N*Star's opinion on the acquisition, knowing that he migrated to EE from BT.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 06:30:13 PM »

I'm waiting to read N*Star's opinion on the acquisition, knowing that he migrated to EE from BT.  :-\

TBH I dont think it will make that much difference.   
EE's DSL is a white label BTw product.   All the White label products are provisioned as WBMC but BTw own things such as the gateways and MSILs and dictate any routing etc.  It is designed for companies that dont want to have any control over any equipment. In theory it gives BTw more control over the backhaul and core than say WBMC shared who purchase their own host links.  BTw do everything.

My guess would be in time the broadband could actually become a white label Plusnet product (ala John Lewis etc).  It does seem rather a convenient co-incidence that EE are actually acquired one week after PN go dedicated.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 06:40:43 PM »

This is absolutely terrible for the consumer. EE innovate, BT don't.

Just look at O2.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 07:34:08 PM »

Was with BT broadband & telephone for close to 3 years using this new FTTC service and had no issues apart from the price of the 40/10 40GB usage allowance and phone was only free at evenings & weekends and no amount of negotiation would change BTs mind to lower the cost only if I was a new customer ::)

Moved to EE with 40/10 unlimited with free 24/7 calls to land lines 1hr max calls ! a saving of £7 per month and a free VDSL modem with a nice chipset broadcom 63168 and again no issues.

The only worry I have with this acquisition is will there to any price changes in the future.
I'll always go for the cheapest ISP/Telco rather than it's brand name or how well it does on customer service surveys.

Give me LLU at the local exchange and i'll be even happier  ;)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 08:03:20 PM by NewtronStar »

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 07:48:15 PM »

To my mind I think this merger is a huge reason now to split OR from BT. There can be NO justification now for anything less. BT + EE + OR is just too big and too much of a monopoly to be left as it is currently. No amount of Chinese walls will give any confidence whatsoever that there would be no preferential treatment to the rest of the BT group if OR is left as part of BT. OFCOM is simply not powerful enough to control BT with OR as an integral part.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 08:02:56 PM »

To my mind I think this merger is a huge reason now to split OR from BT. There can be NO justification now for anything less. BT + EE + OR is just too big and too much of a monopoly to be left as it is currently. No amount of Chinese walls will give any confidence whatsoever that there would be no preferential treatment to the rest of the BT group if OR is left as part of BT. OFCOM is simply not powerful enough to control BT with OR as an integral part.

Stuart

Although they are under the same 'Umbrella' they will still operate as individual entities. With that in mind, Openreach will still continue to be scrutinised by Ofcom regarding their 'Undertakings' and 'Equivalence of Inputs'. Nothing has changed on that front whatsoever.

What are 'Undertakings' ??

These are a set of legally-binding obligations that BT has given to Ofcom (the Office of Communications) the regulator for the communications industry.  There are around 250 separate undertakings, and some of the key ones have resulted in the creation of Openreach and the introduction of Equivalence. 

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2016, 08:11:06 PM »

I am sorry to say OFCOM is as useless as an empty roll of toilet paper when you need it most and as  EU customer I what to say it's all a farce OFCOM have made things worse

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2016, 08:14:53 PM »

Well, it's all done with now. No going back. I'm a big believer in seeing the results, be that positive or negative, before judging things.
Otherwise, it's just an opinion at best.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6