Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Billion 7800N or Technicolour 582N for DSL Max?  (Read 2364 times)

aesmith

• Kitizen
Billion 7800N or Technicolour 582N for DSL Max?
« on: January 14, 2016, 08:02:50 PM »

Hi,

I'm getting fed up with being "blind" with respect to errors on my DSL, the routers I have to hand are all deficient in some way - Linksys doesn't record errors, Plusnet 2704N records errors but isn't supported by any monitoring software, Cisco 1801 would be perfect except for a hardware fault causing the DSL to lock up.   

So it looks like I'll need to buy something, and one idea was to buy something cheap as a short term measure.  The two I mentioned, Billion 7800N and Technicolour 582N are readily available second hand.   I'm not sure on the pros and cons, but as far as I can determine the plus points would be ...

Technicolour - supported by Router Stats. Cheap.
Billion 7800N - more expensive, more capable in terms of features?  Supports SNMP (but MIBs apparently undocumented so no way of knowing of the DSL details are actually accessible).  Noise Margin tweak available.

Any thoughts on the two, particularly in terms of DSL performance?  I don't want to get something that will slow us right down.  I'd prefer SNMP if possible as I don't particularly like these monitoring programs that run as user tasks rather than services.

Thanks, Tony S

loonylion

• Reg Member
Re: Billion 7800N or Technicolour 582N for DSL Max?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 09:16:29 PM »

I had a billion 7800N on adsl2+, it was pretty good, though I only used it as a modem. It's especially good on long lines.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 09:36:10 PM »

Slightly more DSL stats would be available from the Billion, the custom Technicolor CLI and web interface have the most important figures, but not quite everything.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 10:50:21 PM »

I used a Billion 7800N for quite a long time when I was on ADSL. It worked well, and DSLstats works well with it.
  Eric

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 10:16:20 AM »

Thanks, I'll see if I can pick up a Billion 7800N for a reasonable price.   

I still hope to go Cisco when I can get the right model, so I have all the tools and management that I'm used to.

currytop

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 11:08:42 AM »

I have a 7800N & a 582N and would say the 7800N is a better device for ADSLx, especially long lines. I find the web interface faster too and the WiFi works well with good range. Getting a little long in the tooth though but also works well with a VDSL modem via PPPoE.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 01:00:49 PM »

I've just had a stroke of luck finding an unused 582N at work.   Branded Plusnet so I guess it was supplied with our backup FTTC connection, and unused because that connection goes straight into our own equipment.   I'll try it this weekend and see whether firstly I can get the stats I need, and secondly whether the speed is acceptable.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 05:11:34 PM »

I've just had a stroke of luck finding an unused 582N at work.   Branded Plusnet . . .

I am unsure of the fact, so it might be worthwhile checking to see if it has Plusnet's own or the factory default firmware installed.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 01:44:45 PM »

Just connected it up.  Quite interesting comparison with the existing Linksys router .. Linksys reports attenuation 57dB, was connected at 4192k/6.4dB.   582N reports 55.5dB, connected at 4256k/6dB (noise margin now varying around 6.5 or so).

DSL Stats running, so will be able to see error patterns over a day or so with any luck.  Lots of FECs so I should be able to get reasonable feedback from switching things off and back on.