Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: bt broadband speed tester  (Read 2567 times)

loganthecat

• Just arrived
bt broadband speed tester
« on: March 17, 2008, 11:13:27 PM »

When I run the BT broadband speed tester.  After putting in my email address I get a screen that tells me my line is configured to 2000kbps.  Then I get test result as follows  IP profile 2000kbps DSL connection rate 448 upstream and 8064 downstream.  IP throughput is 1833kbps.
I have recently upgraded to an 8Mb width after having a 1Mb with Virgin Media.  I live 896 metres from an exchange that shows no congestion problems and my router  shows upstream 448 and downstream 8064.  I didn't expect to get 8Mbs but I was sure I'd get around 4Mb which would have been fine.  Never at any time, at connection, during the stabilisation period or since has my speed been over 2000kbps.  Does this mean I have been capped, or has the 8mb upgrade not been done properly?  What should I do now.  I have tested my wiring using the faceplate plug and have checked all my router settings with Belkin the manufacturer.  Is this an ISP problem or a BT problem?

Any advice would be most welcome.  I am loath to change ISPs if after a month downtime the problem still persists.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: bt broadband speed tester
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 01:06:25 AM »

>> I live 896 metres from an exchange that shows no congestion problems and my router  shows upstream 448 and downstream 8064.

You should be getting the full 8Mb for that distance.  The 8064 is possibly the result of interleaving on the line.

How long have you been syncing at 8064 for?   It looks like you have a ~ "Stuck bRAS profile" - see towards bottom of page.

If so you need to contact your ISP telling them that it is  x days since you were maxdsl enabled and you constantly sync at 8064, yet the BTw performance tester is still showing your IP profile at 2000.  Say you suspect that you have a stuck bRAS profile and ask if they can get BT Wholesale to reset your IPprofile.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything