Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: hg612 setup for adsl2+ query  (Read 6066 times)

loonylion

• Reg Member
hg612 setup for adsl2+ query
« on: January 12, 2016, 01:49:27 PM »

Haven't managed to find what I'm looking for in a search so here goes:

I have a friend who lives some distance from me has asked that I purchase and preconfigure hardware for his connection, then post it to him such that all he has to do is plug in wires as directed. Currently he's on Orange ADSL2+ with a brightbox router that he doesn't like, and is planning to switch to FTTC (plusnet) in due course. With this in mind, I have obtained a HG612 (unlocked) and an Asus RT-AC68U for him.

As he wants to use this kit on his ADSL2+, and then switch over to self-install FTTC with minimum hassle, I'm trying to determine if I can achieve a configuration where the HG612 is bridged for both ADSL2+ and VDSL, and authentication is done via PPP on the router

I have currently set up an ATM connection profile with VPI/VCI 0/38 and VCMUX encapsulation, and on the WAN page I have bound it to LAN1 and set it to connection mode: bridge with bridge type: IP bridge

I'm kind of winging it here, I've never used a hg612 on ADSL and I'm not in a position to test it. Anyone more experienced able to weigh in?

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Re: hg612 setup for adsl2+ query
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 03:33:59 PM »

I'm on ADSL2 bridged PPPoE, not sure about have it set for FTTC as well.  :hmm:

Just done an experiment for you,  as well as my normal Modulation ADSL2 ticked I just ticked VDSL2 and it still works ok on ADSL2.

This is my copy.
 Modulation type:
     G.Dmt
     ADSL2   Tick
     ADSL2+
     T1.413
     VDSL2      <<<<< Looks like you could tick this as well !. see above.
         ALL

PTM Connection      Note, I remove the TR069 after an install.
It seems important that you do not remove the other setting !. If you do re-install again !.

New      Remove      Help

Interface   DSL Latency   PTM Priority
         ptm1   Path0                       Normal
ptm1
DSL latency:       Path0   
PTM priority:       Normal Priority:   

atm1
VPI/VCI:        0 / 38
DSL latency:       Path0   
DSL link type:       EoA   
Encapsulation mode:       LLC
Service                      UBR Witout PCR

WAN Connection   atm1_1   

Connection Name   Layer2 Type   atm1_1/(0.38)
Service List   INTERNET

atm1_1   ATM       BRIDGE   1
atm1_1
Layer2 interface:       
WAN connection:    Tick   
Service list:         Internet
Port binding: LAN1     Tick
Connection mode:       
Bridge type:   PPPoE Bridged     Tick
DHCP transparent transmission:       Tick

You may need more setting for VDSL2 ! ?.

WAN 802.1q:       Enable
WAN 802.1p:       Enable
LAN 802.1q:       Enable
LAN 802.1p:       Enable

LAN

IP address:       192.168.0.2      <<< Make sure it's not the same as the router LAN

Subnet mask:       255.255.255.0

My Smoothwall hardware firewall does the dialing for PPPoE  (or your router would do that )
I use DSLstats and have the above LAN the same as my Network LAN eg 192.168.0.1  (that's why above is 192.168.0.2 ).

Hope it helps. good luck.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 10:40:30 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 04:51:24 PM »

does encapsulation vary between ISPs because the orange help pages say VCMUX is the one to use?

modulation type is set to ALL, meaning it will try in reverse order until one works.

I'm hoping I can leave both atm and ptm profiles set to enabled and it will just use whichever is appropriate, otherwise I'll have to give him instructions on how to switch between them, but he should be able to manage that if necessary.

TR69 is removed.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 07:52:47 PM »

VCMUX is used on PPPoA

re.. modulation type is set to ALL .... It's better to make the exchange connect to one only, In my case ADSL2, I'm sure Mr Cat will back me up on that  :)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 08:48:04 PM »

. . . I'm sure Mr Cat will back me up on that  :)

Absolutely.

In my case, if I left modulation mode at "Auto" the circuit would train up as ADSL2+ even though it is unable to use the higher tones (sub-carriers). By explicitly setting the mode to "ADSL2" I get just that. No ifs, buts or whims due to the phase of the moon.

By setting the HG612 to both ADSL2 and VDSL2 there can be no ambiguity. When connected to a VDSL2 circuit only VDSL2 will be used and similarly for an ADSL2 circuit.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 10:09:38 PM »

As I was playing with some spare HG612 tonight I tried setting it for ADSL and VDSL2.. It will not.

It complains that the 'port bindings are incorrect' eg if you set it up the WAN for VDSL2 port binding to LAN 1, then set up ADSL it will not set up the port binding to LAN 1 as it's in use. :'(

Warning mind what you are doing as I think the modern term is 'I bricked it'  :no:

Trying hard to recover the HG612  :'(
Edit... after six attempts to re-install the firmware I tried installing the original, then the web ui again, now it works again  :yay:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 10:28:20 PM by tickmike »

currytop

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 10:14:27 PM »

As I was playing with some spare HG612 tonight I tried setting it for ADSL and VDSL2.. It will not.

Try it without ticking bind on either LAN port. That's how I use my HG612.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 11:03:35 PM »

I'm sure "port binding" is not set when the device is in its Openreach default configuration, as a bridge for a VDSL2 circuit.

Now corrected. See Eric's post, below.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 11:19:28 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 11:14:48 PM »

In its factory reset state (which is how it's used as a VDSL2 modem in bridge mode), LAN1 is bound to the internet service.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 11:32:55 PM »

Yes that's correct.
The help file says.
Port binding
It is used to specify which LAN ports are bound to the WAN connection. The bound LAN ports can access the network through only the designated WAN connection.

@currytop
re..Try it without ticking bind on either LAN port. That's how I use my HG612. 
Yes it will take two WAN settings with no port bindings, but will it still connect to the internet  :shrug2: I will try tomorrow.  ;)

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 01:03:23 PM »

Seems the way forward may be to untick 'Enable' in the PTM section of the WAN page, and tick it in the ATM section, then give him instructions on how to switch over.

EDIT: isn't even that simple unless it works without the port binding option being ticked, which for PTM it isn't currently.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 03:47:54 PM by loonylion »

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 02:14:48 PM »

Ok so here is the configuration I have currently worked out:

Code: [Select]
DSL

ADSL2+ tick
VDSL2   tick

ATM

VPI 0
VCI 38
latency path0
link type EoA
encapsulation LLC
service type UBR without PCR

PTM

latency: Path0
PTM Priority: normal priority

WAN - ATM profile

Wan enable: tick
service list: internet
port binding: lan1 tick
connection mode: bridge
bridge type: pppoe bridge
DHCP tranparant transmission tick

WAN - PTM profile

Wan enable: untick
service list: internet
port binding: untick
connection mode: bridge
bridge type: ip bridge
DHCP tranparant transmission tick
wlan 802.1q enable: tick
vlan id: 101
wlan 802.1p enable: tick
value: 2

any further comments? I'm thinking that to switch over one would simply remove the enabled and port binding ticks from the ATM section and tick them in the PTM section, then possibly reboot the modem.

It's really awkward that ive no means of testing this stuff before I send it out.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2016, 08:55:06 PM »

I have one working ok on ADSL2+ with the VDSL2 settings as well, but without ticking 'port bind' on either LAN port, it seems ok and also DSLstats works ok.  but I can not test it on VDSL2 .

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2016, 12:40:59 AM »

after further discussions with my friend we decided the safest option is for him to continue using his current set up until he switches over to fttc, and he will install the equipment I have prepared at that point, therefore I am now only setting it up for fttc. Thanks for everybody's help

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 09:40:15 PM »

I'm going to keep this config so if I have FTTC it should just work  :) we hope.  ;)

anything