Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: G.Inp and Homeplugs  (Read 12714 times)

loonylion

• Reg Member
Re: G.Inp and Homeplugs
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2016, 01:30:42 PM »

Apologies, if I am felt to be butting in with an irrelevance, having only an ADSL2+ connection.
Are FTTx G.Inp set ups much more sensitive than steam ones like mine? I ask, because on or off, player in use or not, I do not see any perceptible change in SNRM, which has been steady between 3.3 and 3.4 dB.

ADSL2+ only goes up to 2MHz, if the homeplug is operating above that then an ADSL2+ connection wouldn't be affected. FTTC goes up to 17MHz currently

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2016, 02:37:12 PM »

The most obvious indicator would be a lower and/or more variable SNRM when the device in question is operating. In a really bad case it might trigger a resync.

Cheers.  No particular change in Noise Margin when I switched them off at 08:40.   It's maybe not authoritative because my line is showing zillions of FECs at the moment, but they don't seem to change when the powerline stuff is switched off either.  I'll test again when (if) the line finally gets fixed, but it doesn't appear to me that they are THE problem at the moment.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2016, 03:18:45 PM »

@renluop: Homeplugs interfere with some systems and don't interfere with others. As far as I know, they can interfere with ADSL2+ systems, but that certainly doesn't mean that they will.
  Eric

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2016, 04:02:54 PM »

@renluop: Homeplugs interfere with some systems and don't interfere with others. As far as I know, they can interfere with ADSL2+ systems, but that certainly doesn't mean that they will.

EXACTLY ! (and WiFi is similar)  It may be cheaper (in cash and/or effort) than Ethernet but there is no guarantee of optimum performance. If it works it is luck, and this may run out if a neighbor gets interference !

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2016, 04:49:55 PM »

I'm fairly sure the interference comes from the poorly designed switch mode PSUs built into the home plugs. I'm pretty sure someone on here proved the point and set out the tests made to establish that fact. Not surprising   really since it is so easy and cheap to throw together the bits necessary to build a SMPSU and most produce wide spectrum noise. It is another thing entirely to make a design that keeps the noise to a sensible level. Chances are that specific models will have the same SMPSU design and provided they don't use alternative manufacturers' capacitors, if you find one that works without problems, others of the same manufacture will too.
Tony

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2016, 06:48:03 PM »

You may well be right there, Tony. I'm quite sure that's the case with WiFi (i.e. it's the PSU which interferes with DSL connections, not the WiFi itself). I'm not so certain about homeplugs, but it's a believable theory.
  Eric

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2016, 07:41:28 PM »

Chances are that specific models will have the same SMPSU design and provided they don't use alternative manufacturers' capacitors, if you find one that works without problems, others of the same manufacture will too.
Tony

most or all components from capacitors to resisters are made in china the manufacturers name on the outside of the device is completely different to who make the electronics in the inside.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2016, 05:23:45 PM »

Agreed. Homeplug = evil

And should be made legally prohibited from sale.

I cant recall the exact details now, but it was either Sweden or Norway who banned certain power line adapters due to the amount of RFI that they produced.  One of the models they banned was the same as which BT was quite happily selling in their online store (tplink model).    There's a thread somewhere on these forums from a few years ago in which I reported the details.   OFCOM doesnt care and didnt want to interfere [pun].
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2016, 05:55:46 PM »

> OFCOM doesnt care and didnt want to interfere [pun]

Groan :'( :lol:

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2016, 10:49:59 PM »

Agreed. Homeplug = evil

And should be made legally prohibited from sale.

I cant recall the exact details now, but it was either Sweden or Norway who banned certain power line adapters due to the amount of RFI that they produced. 

It was Norway.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2016, 11:13:39 PM »

Wouldn't mind testing a pair of PLA's other than the TP-LINK 200Mbps (TL-PA211) but have a feeling that even with a different make or model the interference will still show up.

If anyone would like to send me a pair of PLA's i'll test them and make and observation on how it effects the broadband or not and then send it back postage free   :)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 11:15:41 PM by NewtronStar »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2016, 06:51:36 AM »

> OFCOM doesnt care and didnt want to interfere [pun]

Groan :'( :lol:

of course, it has no impact on telecom competition so they dont care.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2016, 10:42:30 AM »

If anyone would like to send me a pair of PLA's i'll test them and make and observation on how it effects the broadband or not and then send it back postage free   :)
I've got a spare pair not in service and currently surplus to requirements, I'll look them out and see whether they're of interest to you.   

I'm also interested in your comment about TP-Link, I have two TL-WPA4220 and one TL-PA4010, and my tentative tests suggested that they did not have any impact.  They're out of service at the moment but removing them didn't seem to change either SNR or error rate.

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2016, 12:34:24 PM »

I've got a spare pair not in service and currently surplus to requirements, I'll look them out and see whether they're of interest to you.   

I'm also interested in your comment about TP-Link, I have two TL-WPA4220 and one TL-PA4010, and my tentative tests suggested that they did not have any impact.  They're out of service at the moment but removing them didn't seem to change either SNR or error rate.
I tried every home plug going some years back and always ended up with millions of FECs and a lost connection just plugging them in and switching on let alone trying to actually connect. Tried some wireless Devolo homeplugs  and same problem so gave up.

A few months back while at someone else's house trying to sort out some wiring, I spotted they had some I'd never seen before. And they had a spare pair so borrowed them expecting the usual failure. But no, they worked flawlessly without the slightest trace of any noise above my floor level of around 300-1000 FEC/min and certainly zero affect on any other stats.

So bought a pair of my own and have been using ever since.

They are BT products (Broadband Extender) but don't know who actually makes them but they are very different appearance-wise to others.

It may just be my setup here but nothing in the wiring or equipment has changed since trying the previous ones.

The ones I have are these:

http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wi-fi-home-hotspot-500-kit-079029-9N14.html?refs=50910

They do make a 'larger' (Dual Band) version but haven't tried these.

I do have a spare master plug (the one on the left). I'll see if I can pick up the other one somewhere and can then loan that if you like..
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 07:05:13 PM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2016, 12:56:38 PM »

They are BT products (Broadband Extender) but don't know who actually makes them but they are very different appearance-wise to others.

It may just be my setup here but nothing in the wiring or equipment has changed since trying the previous ones.

The ones I have are these:

http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wi-fi-home-hotspot-500-kit-079029-9N14.html?refs=50910

I had the same BT set last summer and also noticed no impact on my FTTC connection. However, I have since given them away as I got a Home Hub 5 which has much better Wifi than the Plusnet ADSL modem it replaced.

At the time, BT were selling them on offer for around £30. If I got any now, I guess I would want dual band ones..

Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything