Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: G.Inp and Homeplugs  (Read 12727 times)

deron

G.Inp and Homeplugs
« on: January 11, 2016, 10:54:48 PM »

Just out of interest, what would g.inp do to a line affected by the Satan that are homeplugs?

Would it help defeat the loss of sync due to interference?

[Moderator note: I've split this post off to create a new topic under Broadband Technology.]
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 12:09:17 AM by burakkucat »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: G.Inp and Homeplugs
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 12:02:33 AM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.

If the homeplugs are injecting noise into the incoming xDSL line, then I would expect G.Inp to attempt to correct the resultant errors. How successful might it be? Who knows . . .  :-\

(It is my personal opinion that the best place for any make of homeplug is in with the electrical and electronics recycling.)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 12:08:41 AM »

Agreed. Homeplug = evil

And should be made legally prohibited from sale.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 12:09:35 AM »

Spewing out rfi intentionally is not cool, whether it be down the mains or over the airwaves,

ryan2390

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 12:30:21 AM »

Glad to see I am not the only one with an aversion to homeplugs. Hopefully I will remain free of their noise for the foreseeable future.

Being a radio amateur anything that 'leaks' RF and causes interference is evil but that aside I have had to carry out some 'modifications' to the limited phone wiring in my house when I was experimenting transmitting around 1.8MHz which isn't all that far from the frequencies ADSL uses as I understand it. When I was first started experimenting every time I transmitted I caused the connection to drop. My cure was wrapping the cable from the modem router to the microfilter around chunky ferrite rings and replacing the microfilter at the same time. Believe it or not it cured my issues.

My point is that maybe if home plugs are causing issues or do when G.Inp is implemented some well wound ferrite rings may help or even solve the problem entirely if you must use homeplugs.

(Mods: Hope this isn't too off topic but thought it might be useful either now or later.)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 01:07:05 AM »

"Top Band" (160 metres) is the frequency band 1800 - 2000 kHz which falls into the upper reaches of ADSL2+ and VDSL2.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

ryan2390

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 09:56:13 AM »

I didn't go quite that far as I didn't want to confuse matters :D

But yes. It was the tip about the ferrites I thought may be useful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 11:42:33 AM »

Never had any issues with homeplugs here.

Ragnarok

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 02:40:11 PM »

I'm not sure what the difference is between the good and bad ones, but the latest ones use some high frequencies too, spewed out around the power cables. I've been to a friends house and he was wondering what was causing his internet problems, on the DSL lines, pulled the home plugs problem solved!

I agree with the sentiment, powerline ethernet = evil .

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 03:10:39 PM »

I've got three in service at the moment, one connected to the router, one providing wireless coverage and Ethernet to the desktop PC at the back of the house, one in the workshop.   They're on my list to check for interference, now I've finally got live error stats I can try to eliminate local equipment.  Only problem is that DSL Stats runs on the desktop over the powerline adapters, so I'll need to rig up something temporary.  All that I know at the moment is that they don't change attenuation or noise margin, nor do they kick the DSL off.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2016, 08:51:01 PM »

homeplugs is sort of like nicotine, its something that should be banned but because its so widely used now they are stuck leaving it be.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2016, 09:41:39 PM »

homeplugs is sort of like nicotine, its something that should be banned but because its so widely used now they are stuck leaving it be.

Well yes but with say HG612_modem_stats or DSLstats running you can see the damage it does on your DSL lungs the average users out there won't even know the damage PLA's can do on their line but it's not permanent once they are removed the evil devices and then let the DLM recover the damaged line stats.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2016, 09:42:30 AM »

Well yes but with say HG612_modem_stats or DSLstats running you can see the damage it does on your DSL

What would be the best parameter(s) to look at to see if they're having any effect?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2016, 10:07:11 AM »

The most obvious indicator would be a lower and/or more variable SNRM when the device in question is operating. In a really bad case it might trigger a resync.
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2016, 01:24:22 PM »

Apologies, if I am felt to be butting in with an irrelevance, having only an ADSL2+ connection.
Are FTTx G.Inp set ups much more sensitive than steam ones like mine? I ask, because on or off, player in use or not, I do not see any perceptible change in SNRM, which has been steady between 3.3 and 3.4 dB.
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything