Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Joys of development  (Read 12483 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Joys of development
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2016, 12:59:40 AM »

Maybe worth clarifying, the new TV is pretty much a stand-alone device.  You can do AirPlay and stuff, like its predecessors - but it now has its own App Store with media Apps, Games Apps etc, so it does fantastic things even  without any iPads, IPods or iPhones.    :)

For games, you can use the Apple supplied Siri remote, or you can use compatible 3rd party controllers.

ATV aside, I personally think there is a future for Set Top Boxes vs Smart TVs.   For the simple reason, technology evolves fast, and I want my big expensive flat panel on the wall to outlive the whatever 'fads' are current.   I don't mind buying a new STB once every few years, but I won't buy a new LCD panel that often.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 01:05:50 AM by sevenlayermuddle »

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2016, 03:56:41 AM »

ATV aside, I personally think there is a future for Set Top Boxes vs Smart TVs.   For the simple reason, technology evolves fast, and I want my big expensive flat panel on the wall to outlive the whatever 'fads' are current.   I don't mind buying a new STB once every few years, but I won't buy a new LCD panel that often.

that and if it breaks its replace the box vs replace the whole tv.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2016, 06:17:15 AM »

Maybe worth clarifying, the new TV is pretty much a stand-alone device.  You can do AirPlay and stuff, like its predecessors - but it now has its own App Store with media Apps, Games Apps etc, so it does fantastic things even  without any iPads, IPods or iPhones.    :)

That sounds very much like an Amazon Fire TV, which is actually just an Android box, and you can  side load Android apps.

Kits,  glad to hear the Android experience is going well,  it's improved massively from what it once was. We don't have a specific Android forum area.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2016, 08:10:00 AM »

That sounds very much like an Amazon Fire TV, which is actually just an Android box, and you can  side load Android apps.

I don't have time to research that comparison, but worth noting that whilst many good iOS Apps will have an Apple TV version, Apple TV Apps are quite distinct from iOS Apps. There is after all no screen to touch, and simply emulating a touch screen with a cursor would have been ugly.   So there's a lot of UI changes.

Apple TV Apps will have to dovetail into that new UI, taking input from the new Siri Remote, in a fashion consistent with other TV Apps.  Other changes are encouraged too, in recognition of the 'across the room' viewing distance,  such as larger text fonts and other visual elements where appropriate, and lots more.

Pages: 1 [2]

anything